• Entry 2

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Entry 3

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

77889_c345061166a9fe79142e200f7905f5bf.png

About a month ago, month ago, month ago.
We asked
What if Fremantle entered the AFL as the 'Hammers'?

Poll will run for 1 week
Winner picks next team from this list and gets their name on the honour roll
As for teams with more than 1 nickname next to them, The team will still be used until all nicknames have been done
eg. If you choose Gold Coast, it must be followed by one of the available nicknames.

List of teams
(BOLD - Done)
Former
  • University
  • Brisbane Bears
  • Fitzroy Lions
Mergers
  • Sydney Lions (Sydney Swans and Fitzroy Lions merger)
  • Melbourne Hawks (Melbourne Demons and Hawthorn Hawks merger)
  • Melbourne Lions (Melbourne Demons and Fitzroy Lions merger)
  • North Fitzroy Kangaroos (North Melbourne Kangaroos and Fitzroy Lions merger)
  • Fitzroy Bulldogs (Fitzroy Lions and Footscray Bulldogs merger)
  • Gold Coast Kangaroos (GC Suns and North Melbourne Kangaroos merger)
  • Fremantle Sharks (East Fremantle and South Fremantle merger)
  • Norwood-Sturt merger for AFL spot
Proposed
  • Tasmanian Team
  • Sydney Celtics
  • Fremantle
    • Union
    • Courage
    • Dolphins
    • Hammers
    • Stokers
    • Mariners
  • Greater Western Sydney
    • Pride
    • Wolves
    • Stallions
  • Adelaide
    • Lakers
    • Sharks
    • Falcons
    • Rams
    • Arrows
    • Dolphins
  • Port Adelaide
    • Raiders
    • Pirates
    • Mariners
    • Sharks
  • Gold Coast
    • Stingrays
    • Marlins
    • Lifesavers
    • Ironmen
  • Brisbane
    • Rockets
    • Breakers
Good Luck!

Entry 1 ACurrenAffair
136402_7a0986807f6f50643a77748932cfc344.jpg

"So I've taken a bit of a hypothetical and not sure if it'll count in the comp but I'm not too fussed as I've had fun putting it together regardless.
Anyway the year is 1993 and there is rumblings that the a new team entering the AFL will be based in Fremantle and are likely to be called the Hammers. On the other side of the world London based west ham hear of the plans and are none to please with this new team nicking there nickname. A phone-call is made by the real hammers and official negotiations.
The AFL do their best to convince them that this new team won't tarnish the brand of west ham and will become a success. The AFL lets them know that this club wont be a laughing stock and will be financially well supported to help lead to obvious profits. West Ham officials hear this and think that they could make a few quid on this venture and do a bit of negotiations with the AFL to become co-owners of this new club.
Work begins on branding with this new club so that they work well together to both introduce Australians to west ham and still respect the local values of football in the Fremantle community. What they hear is chevrons are popular. They look back in their cupboards and find their 76-77 home kit should be able to fit the bill. Next they look at an away jumper for the hammers. They gave up quickly and just went with last years away kit and adapt it for this other football.

Next the merchandising department set to work on the logo. Now some of the crew just wanted the same logo but they agreed it was lazy. They decided to focus on a local landmark similar to west hams castle logo. After realising there limited options for landmarks for the town, they settled on the Fremantle prison with a few jokes being made by locals Brits at the convict heritage of Australia. Adding to this they focussed on the hammers and chevrons hoping these would become icons of the new club."

Entry 2 Spanna65
136652_311f2556fe449182feaadb9ffe4b3cb9.png

"Fremantle Hammers if they were in the AFL as we speak."

Entry 3 1990crow
141943_f2ac1d8fef263667f05c7083a4aa871f.png

Honourable Mentions
crow28
Fremantle%20Hammers%20Both.png

The most clever design entered but unfortunately broke a few rules.

The Half Back
Hammer_zpsas8g30br.png

Hammer%20Logo_zpsykgxlt1v.png

Because no one wants to see a grown man cry.

Im seriously surprised that no one picked up on the other idea of Hammers. My entry (had I the time to make it) was going to be a Hammerhead Shark.
I looked into doing something based around the Hammerhead Shark, but an outline of a shark was as far as I got.

Back