Workshop What If....?

Remove this Banner Ad

Damo Crows Fan

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2009
Radelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
So many possibilities... how would the league look if Fitzroy and Footscray had merged? What if Richmond were unable to get the funds together to survive through their 'Save our Skins' campaign and merged with Geelong?!

This is our thread for posting your 'What If...?' ideas. Any failed mergers any alternative jumper choices any flights of fancy. So long as it begins with 'What I...?'

Fitzroy and Footscray would have been an absolute basket case in my opinion. Phonetics and a few colours aside, did they have a lot in common? Yeah. Okay. Low crowds and membership bases. Both working class I suppose, but then, what footy club suburb wasn't at some stage?

Fitzroy were the ones pillaging the Bullies, and I've always wondered how many Footscray fans would've signed up. The ground, and probably less importantly the training base, was going to alienate people – you're either at Vic Park or Optus Oval or Western Oval. Those grounds cater to two markets. I don't know. The league would've possibly lost two clubs, or be no better off than the private, separate entities.

Though if you're wondering how it would have looked, well, the MCG Museum has one!

From what i read, they merged with the local Essendon team from the VFA, not the current existing essendon club. They did put a merger forward in 1921, but Essendon reneged.

Didn't they actually? Like, isn't the current North Melbourne inclusive of Essendon VFA or something? Paging Mero.

Nah, SJ and I found some cool old VFA and VFL cards and we both realised that the current North Melbourne was born from Essendon Association Football Club (or Essendon A for short, also known as Essendon Town). Paging SJ

I made these ages ago hence the poor quality and template but it is a North Melbourne - Port Adelaide Merger. And the Teal colour is off so if anyone wants to recreate these properly on a proper template that would be nice
2rmsch4.jpg

I'm no longer too sure about the "Melbourne" guernsey. I think it should probably just be the current North jumper. But I like the other two jumpers and the logo personally

One more for tonight. What if North Melbourne and Essendon merged back in the 1920's?

I believe the home jumper would be navy with a red sash, just like one of our earliest jumpers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What if the AFL had accepted the South Port Sharks bid instead of insisting on a brand new entity? What if they did it in a universe where the 'Roos had merged with Essendon in 1920? What if North Melbourne agreed to move to the coast, but also merged with the Sharks? This one covers all of those eventualities.

What if the Saints were to agree with me and the emails I've sent in regards to changing their home guersney to a red and black hoops arrangement?

Few more, i got into a good groove last night and just kept making them lol.

What if Fitzroy had remained the Gorillas?

What if East Perth had been accepted in to the VFL when they made their initial bid in the 70's/80's?

What if GWS did the right thing and went the name 'Wolves' and used blue?

One question I have been looking at over the last two days is:

“what if the rumoured-in-1981 relocation of Footscray to Queensland had been successfully executed within the following two or three years??”

According to page 38 of The Australian Football Business: A Spectator’s Guide to the VFL:

Footscray is unable to maintain its level of membership in a region increasingly populated by European migrants. Rumours persist that the Club will move to Queensland in the near future. The Club is surrounded by a large Yugoslav and Maltese community which prefers to play and watch soccer”.

What would the result if such a Footscray relocation had been at all successful. Would the VFL have attempted to play matches for premiership points in Canberra and Tasmania with the expectation of further relocations?? Would it have helped develop a national competition better than the actual VFL/AFL history??

“what if the rumoured-in-1981 relocation of Footscray to Queensland had been successfully executed within the following two or three years??”

According to page 38 of The Australian Football Business: A Spectator’s Guide to the VFL:

Footscray is unable to maintain its level of membership in a region increasingly populated by European migrants. Rumours persist that the Club will move to Queensland in the near future. The Club is surrounded by a large Yugoslav and Maltese community which prefers to play and watch soccer”.

What would the result if such a Footscray relocation had been at all successful. Would the VFL have attempted to play matches for premiership points in Canberra and Tasmania with the expectation of further relocations?? Would it have helped develop a national competition better than the actual VFL/AFL history??
This bump...

But Gibbsy once tried telling me he heard through a source that 'Western Bulldogs' was either a soft launch or a fall back for the Bulldogs playing in western Sydney. This was about five years ago and he may or may not have been drinking in a park.

Mate thanks for the bump, good too see how far I've come in terms of design from these early efforts....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back