Analysis What if...?

Discussion in 'Adelaide' started by Danger in Texas, Feb 1, 2017.

Put it out there
  1. DJ75

DJ75 Premiership Player

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    36ers
    I'm not a big fan of the 'What If' scenarios. The reality is that if you did get 'player X' your draft picks and trades change for the next 10 years. You can't just add player X and keep everything else the same.

I will however say a different kind of What If....., What If Fremantle were not able to be successful because of Pavlich??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Pilchard_Adams

Pilchard_Adams Premiership Player

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    It goes both ways though... We got lucky trading for McLeod, if Fremantle were a little wiser and said no to trading him, or wanted more which may of made us back out, we may still be premiershipless!!

PCORF likes this.
  3. dude316

dude316 Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Sturt
    Yeah, I know it's not that simple. I guess with this scenario we still have McLeod, Goodwin, Edwards and Ricciuto in the midfield and still have Hart, Bassett etc in defence because they were all in the team before Pav would have been selected.

4. DJ75

DJ75 Premiership Player

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    36ers
    Of course that is true - but this is something that did happen, not a hypothetical situation.

I find most of the what if scenarios, that ignore flow on effects, about as useful as saying 'imagine if our team had Cripps, Gibbs, Parker, Cameron etc...' If we had one of those, we wouldn't have some of the other players we currently have.

5. DJ75

DJ75 Premiership Player

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    36ers
    yep I understand that and it is correct. What we don't know is what other effects would have it had? For instance, lets say we traded the pick we used for Carey for Pavlich. Do we win a flag? That I'm not convinced of. From what I hear much of the issues at Fremantle have been around Fav's 'leadership'.

What I do know is that given Pav only just retired, we probably don't ever have Tippett or Dangerfield (might be a bonus there) and we quite possibly never sign a certain NSW scholarship scheme player (given they essentially play the same position and we weren't overly convinced in the first place).

6. Pdub

Pdub Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Rory Sloane too, he was passed over by every victorian team in 2 different drafts.

Pilchard_Adams likes this.
  7. Punchy Bassett

Punchy Bassett Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    NFC AUFC MUFC Socceroos
    I like the Wayne Jackson one, the AFL has just moved further and further towards the VFL since he left.

8. GreyCrow

GreyCrow Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Sturt, Redskins , White Sox
    ...Andy Otten didn't need 2 recos?

Would Hartigan or Lever be here?

Would we re-sign Jenkins?

9. jo172

jo172 Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    San Antonio, Redbacks
    What if we make the 1993 Grand Final?

Odds are Cornes lasts at least until 1995. Therefore no Blight, no 97 and 98.

Cornes also on the record saying he wouldn't have done the Chris Groom deal therefore no Andrew McLeod.

Similarly, Cornes coaches to the end of 1995 and suddenly Chad and Kane are eligible to be taken Father/Son by the Crows.

Would have completely diverted our history.

Rotayjay likes this.