What industry do you/want work in?

Remove this Banner Ad

My Arts major was Spanish too, ended up doing an Honours thesis. Keep it up, it's really enjoyable, especially when you can read Spanish books fluently.

I also studied Photography and learnt graphic design on the job, but now I work in IT doing graphic design and Software product support. Obviously I grew up without any clear direction in what I wanted to do. Spent a lot of time working in restaurants and unemployed. Graphic Design competitive and not lucrative.

How odd. I did first year Spanish, I learnt a fair bit given I already spoke fluent Portuguese. Also still into Photography, studied it at HS, would like to do some more formal study but I think I'm past it. Ideal job would be in photography but yeah it's tough to get ahead in and I doubt I could afford it on my lifestyle.

I'm currently studying Geomatics, and looking forward to getting into the Surveying industry over in WA around the mines and even go offshore to do Hydrographic Surveying. I have 1.5 years left in my course.

Geomatics, eh? I was doing that course until I dropped out about halfway through - just could not stand surveying! That was about 5 years ago so too long ago for us to have crossed paths, but funny to see that someone else on here knows what it is, let alone is studying it. Good luck with it, hope you've been enjoying Dr Hunter's true stories ;)

I'm in GIS (Geographic Information Science), where I work for a consultancy in Atlanta. Pretty much I make some pretty maps that may or may not be used for anything in particular. Not bad money for a graduate but not nearly as good as it would be for someone working for BHP out in the Hamersley Ranges like you'll be :p

I'm a teacher (Physics/Science/Maths), but in previous incarnations I've worked as the following:

- Geologist, working in W.A.
- Researcher in volcanology (hence the tag)
- Catering Manager at Telstra Dome (yes, I kicked out lots of drunk Collingwood supporters)
- Debt Collector (amongst other things) for the ATO.
- Stonemason (working on the State Library)

I like variety :)

Secondary education. No surprise that almost all of these posts are from tertiary-educated bods. Do others fear being exposed as unworthy because of their occupation? - I'd hope not!

I work as a Crowd Controller in the security/hospitality sectors.
Wouldn't mind completing VCE and moving into conflict resolution.
I did that for years while i was sutdying - but only in the better night clubs in Melbourne.
Loved every night - almost..........

Geomatics, eh? I was doing that course until I dropped out about halfway through - just could not stand surveying! That was about 5 years ago so too long ago for us to have crossed paths, but funny to see that someone else on here knows what it is, let alone is studying it. Good luck with it, hope you've been enjoying Dr Hunter's true stories ;)

I'm in GIS (Geographic Information Science), where I work for a consultancy in Atlanta. Pretty much I make some pretty maps that may or may not be used for anything in particular. Not bad money for a graduate but not nearly as good as it would be for someone working for BHP out in the Hamersley Ranges like you'll be :p
#### it's a small world... I'm assuming you are talking about Gary the man Hunter :D He gives us a new story every class :D How did you get a job over in the US? What did you do once you dropped out of Geomatics? I hate having to explain to people what Geomatics is, does my head in :rolleyes:

#### it's a small world... I'm assuming you are talking about Gary the man Hunter :D He gives us a new story every class :D How did you get a job over in the US? What did you do once you dropped out of Geomatics? I hate having to explain to people what Geomatics is, does my head in :rolleyes:

Yeah mate, none other than Gary 'True Story' Hunter. Bloke's a classic, isn't he?! Good ol' Cliff Ogleby was always good for an (accidental) laugh too on the odd occasion.

I got a job here because I actually finally graduated - I got a degree in GIS at uni here. I didn't go back to uni in Aus - I was off for about two years or so until I moved here, just worked and bludged basically. Probably not what I needed to do but I have a degree now so it worked out in the end.

Oh, just say that it's greek for 'earth measurement' and leave it at that!

Yeah mate, none other than Gary 'True Story' Hunter. Bloke's a classic, isn't he?! Good ol' Cliff Ogleby was always good for an (accidental) laugh too on the odd occasion.

I got a job here because I actually finally graduated - I got a degree in GIS at uni here. I didn't go back to uni in Aus - I was off for about two years or so until I moved here, just worked and bludged basically. Probably not what I needed to do but I have a degree now so it worked out in the end.

Oh, just say that it's greek for 'earth measurement' and leave it at that!
Lol Cliff Ogleby, that guy... I can never tell if he is being serious or having a joke. What attracted you to the US? The Geomatics department is pretty much the same man, still the old dudes wondering around. Did you have Frank Leahy for computational methods? I don't mind this guy, he is retiring this year and he just left to travel overseas :D Did you go on that surveying camp to that place near ballarat, how about the level run up that big ####ing hill? We had international students group tip their vehicle while cruising along the gravel track up the top of the hill.

Lol Cliff Ogleby, that guy... I can never tell if he is being serious or having a joke. What attracted you to the US? The Geomatics department is pretty much the same man, still the old dudes wondering around. Did you have Frank Leahy for computational methods? I don't mind this guy, he is retiring this year and he just left to travel overseas :D Did you go on that surveying camp to that place near ballarat, how about the level run up that big ####ing hill? We had international students group tip their vehicle while cruising along the gravel track up the top of the hill.

Get a room! :D

I think most of the time Cliff was pretty serious - was always good to poke fun at!

I'm in the US because of my now-wife - long story there, but I wouldn't be here if not for that. I guess it worked out with regards to getting a degree and all as well, I'd probably be back doing geomatics otherwise.

I think I had Frank for that class - don't remember him too well except that he looked a little like Papa Smurf. I remember that camp well - have you bumped into the bloke they call 'Bracksy'? He's a postgrad now, I think. He'll have some stories from that trip (and others!). That was at Creswick, if I remember right. The worst thing was traversing all the way around the bloody rabbit warren-infested land, it was pretty barren and took all bloody day!

Get a room! :D

Hey, just reminiscing about the good old days ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I had Frank for that class - don't remember him too well except that he looked a little like Papa Smurf. I remember that camp well - have you bumped into the bloke they call 'Bracksy'? He's a postgrad now, I think. He'll have some stories from that trip (and others!). That was at Creswick, if I remember right. The worst thing was traversing all the way around the bloody rabbit warren-infested land, it was pretty barren and took all bloody day!
The pursuit of love :p Creswick, you have a better memory than me :D We had to do a hydro graphic survey of the pond near the city centre, not fun having to chase a target on a tinny in a lake using a total station for 2 hours :mad:

The pursuit of love :p Creswick, you have a better memory than me :D We had to do a hydro graphic survey of the pond near the city centre, not fun having to chase a target on a tinny in a lake using a total station for 2 hours :mad:

We didn't do that - the fun stuff that we had to do was in second year at Thomson's Dam. Did you go there? Some bullshit about testing the dam wall for cracks. I got sick and had to go home early from that one!

I did that for years while i was sutdying - but only in the better night clubs in Melbourne.
Loved every night - almost..........
I prefer playing freelancer. I get paid less, but enjoy adapting to different environments and the shift in clientele, it keeps the job fresh.

I strongly dislike the need to make first impressions, which runs contrary to my nature.

Oh, and 200+ patrons at a dive owned by a cheapskate manager employing just you, with the bar-staff as backup. Fun. :cool:

My Arts major was Spanish too, ended up doing an Honours thesis. Keep it up, it's really enjoyable, especially when you can read Spanish books fluently.
I figure that if I end up hating engineering (pretty good odds!), I'll have another skill to utilise. Or, if I like engineering, I can work overseas. I've been to Barcelona; it was pretty sweet for a visit, and with my aunt living there, not too hard to move there either. Odds of a firm in Barcelona needing an English speaking engineer pretty slim though.

I figure that if I end up hating engineering (pretty good odds!), I'll have another skill to utilise. Or, if I like engineering, I can work overseas. I've been to Barcelona; it was pretty sweet for a visit, and with my aunt living there, not too hard to move there either. Odds of a firm in Barcelona needing an English speaking engineer pretty slim though.

True, but odds of a Spanish speaking engineer who speaks perfect English could be high, especially on big projects. I know they're undertaking a lot of infrasatructure at the mo, civil engineering in particular with roads, freeways and the like.

Hey next time you go over, try and get down to Granada. It's a magnificent place and has a really exotic feel (it was the last place reconquered by the Christian Spanish, so has lots of Arabic influence).

Hey next time you go over, try and get down to Granada. It's a magnificent place and has a really exotic feel (it was the last place reconquered by the Christian Spanish, so has lots of Arabic influence).

My biggest regret about visiting Spain a few years back was not getting time to visit Islamic Spain, I only had time to visit Barcelona and Madrid. It's a definite for next time.

My biggest regret about visiting Spain a few years back was not getting time to visit Islamic Spain, I only had time to visit Barcelona and Madrid. It's a definite for next time.

Yeah the further south you go, the more exotic it feels. Cordoba, Granada, Sevilla are must sees, I missed out on Toledo (not very south, only an hour from Madrid), but I wanna go there if I get back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back