What is a good way to sack someone?

Remove this Banner Ad

I find it interesting that alot of opposition supporters and some Bulldogs supporters are so insistant that the club handled Akers sacking so badly, I would like those posters to advise on how it should have been done or could have been done well.

It seems there are alot of posters who are quick to be critical, but I am yet to see a constructive alternative.

As far as whether he should have been sacked, well every respected person in football is saying the club did the right thing. So unless someone can quote something I have missed in the debate the only people not supporting what the club did are those who have not yet gained respect from the football world.

So a challege to the posters who have said the club handled in so badly, how should it have been done?

According to reports they told him he wasn't wanted anymore and why, they also paid out his contract in full and offered him the option of retiring with a farewell game.

Its the clubs right to make the call about a player.

I really can't see what else the Bulldogs could have done.

I find it interesting that alot of opposition supporters and some Bulldogs supporters are so insistant that the club handled Akers sacking so badly, I would like those posters to advise on how it should have been done or could have been done well.

It seems there are alot of posters who are quick to be critical, but I am yet to see a constructive alternative.

As far as whether he should have been sacked, well every respected person in football is saying the club did the right thing. So unless someone can quote something I have missed in the debate the only people not supporting what the club did are those who have not yet gained respect from the football world.

So a challege to the posters who have said the club handled in so badly, how should it have been done?

Well given the nature of the game, didn't even need to. What is worse, the media speculation of why he's running around at Williamstown or the media feeding frenzy and polarisation of the football community? Either way its a distraction. He's out of contract in a few months anyway. Sit him in the VFL. What happens if the Dogs have injuries to Johnson, Higgins, and Gia week one of the finals. Its a silly thing to do mid season given the Club had an automatic out in october anyway.

You have the captain announce the delistings at the end of season dinner.

What happens in every club is that players are told directly that their contracts will not be renewed -- some even half-way through the season. They finish out the year in the 2s.

More senior players are also told, but often given the option of a farewell retirement game. Most take it. A few refuse, nominate for the draft and get really embarrassed.

Well given the nature of the game, didn't even need to. What is worse, the media speculation of why he's running around at Williamstown or the media feeding frenzy and polarisation of the football community? Either way its a distraction. He's out of contract in a few months anyway. Sit him in the VFL. What happens if the Dogs have injuries to Johnson, Higgins, and Gia week one of the finals. Its a silly thing to do mid season given the Club had an automatic out in october anyway.

If they were intent on sacking him, it should've been done two weeks ago.

The club misled him into believing that he was a chance at a senior selection, and he paid his dues in the VFL.

At the very least, the club should be allowing him to maintain match fitness for any future employer by allowing him to run in their VFL squad until season's end.

Otherwise, the poster I've quoted has it right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well a reason warranting dismissal would be required for a start, The Pissweak reason given wouldnt stand up in a court of law if it happened to someone employed by a business (non-football).

Not telling the truth- Rose couldnt even provide examples of what he meant by this.
Supposedly leaking "crucial" information about him not playing that week- They have no direct proof he did this, and seeing Eade was one of the ones that was in the know, its a possibility that it was him that let slip to someone, why not sack him too?

They could of at least used the articles he wrote during the year as an excuse (Creating disharmony in the workplace kind of thing), but that would of been too much of a backflip on their assertion that they didnt affect the playing group... still would of been a better option than the one they went with though.

Have a look at the way the Swans sacked Baz - that was clinical.

"more in sorrow than in anger", "great legacy", "trust him with my kids but can't have complete faith in him on the field anymore" and then invite him to the B&F as a retiring player and treat him with great respect. Show some dignity all round.

That's a start.

get back to me when the Doggies have another failed year.

Nice to see the "boys" have been nicely focused on the reason they are paid.

Theyd want to have a BIG win this weekend

Take them out to dinner, somewhere nice, but not to expensive.
(They are much less likely to make a scene in a crowded restaurant, esp. a nice one).

Straight after ordering your entree, give them the old "It's not you, it's me" spiel.

They are generally too cut up and emotional and want to leave before ordering an expensive main meal (although sometimes they get vindictive and order a full lobster just to inflict financial pain).

Never offer to drive them home, shove 'em in a cab or better yet, give them bus fare.

Not sure if that'd work with AFL PLayers, but it's the normal routine I use when dusting off a chick. ;)

Quietly. At season's end.

Was Aka contracted next year? If not, the Club could have said at the end of 2010 "Aka, we're not renewing your contract".

The "beast' that Aka is, it was a certainty he was NOT going to take his sacking quietly. What did the club expect? Was his breach of trust so bad that the club had to act now? I don't know. The Club certainly isn't elaborating.

Quietly. At season's end.

Was Aka contracted next year? If not, the Club could have said at the end of 2010 "Aka, we're not renewing your contract".

The "beast' that Aka is, it was a certainty he was NOT going to take his sacking quietly. What did the club expect? Was his breach of trust so bad that the club had to act now? I don't know. The Club certainly isn't elaborating.

There is some truth in this, but, and this is a big if - IF the players group is growing more and more upset with him and his agitation and behaviour, how long do you put up with it ?

I'm not saying the Dogs have handled everything well, although I do support the decision.

Would Aker have stayed on quietly in the reserves, particularly if he plays well and doesn't get a game ? Do you simply ignore that agitation that he would bring...

The one thing I've learnt from this is, and back on topic slightly, is you sack him at 4.30pm on Friday - the day after, not the day before the Footy show... Let the weekends action and a week pass by before you have to deal with the stupidity of Newman and Co attacking the club....

Have a look at the way the Swans sacked Baz - that was clinical.

"more in sorrow than in anger", "great legacy", "trust him with my kids but can't have complete faith in him on the field anymore" and then invite him to the B&F as a retiring player and treat him with great respect. Show some dignity all round.

That's a start.

Aker would never allow this to happen..that said, Smorgon could have worded the announcement with a little less venom .

Aker would never allow this to happen..that said, Smorgon could have worded the announcement with a little less venom .

There was no disguising the lack of love for Aker in the announcement/press conference was there...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back