What is a pass mark for 2019?

Remove this Banner Ad

Must be close to season start, this question pops up every year.
And every year I say the same.
Premiership.
Anything less is a failure for an organisation that was born to win Premierships.
While any failure can have positives, particularly for the rose coloured glasses crew (over represented on BF), the simple truth is that CFC exists to be Premiers.

Genuine question/discussion.

After getting within a kick of a premiership in 2018, and given that the list looks deeper and fitter coming into 2019, what is an acceptable passmark? Nothing less than a premiership? Another GF appearance? Top 4?

Interested to get people's collective thoughts.

Top 4 = pass mark. Wouldn't be too disappointed with 5th place. Fail would be anything lower than 5th in my mind. We are a better team than last year and should show that in 2019. It's a tough gig modern footy. Top 8 is so tight these days.

In a general season sense, I'd be happy with another top 4 finish. We have a harder fixture, so we need to offset that with our expected natural improvement, better self belief and drive born out of a GF appearance, and (hopefully) key players remaining uninjured. If we can do that, and finish top 4 again, then we're a real shot, as last year showed.

Basically, a pass for me is to build on last year (hopefully a better GF result too!), and show that last year is not an aberration.

Beams, Moore and Elliot in improves us from the 2018 Grand final side. 3 first year players Stephenson, Sier and Mihocek had outstanding seasons, hopefully no second year blues. The forward line seems our weakest point in respect of talls, we have plenty of mids and defenders Dunne, Scharenberg to comeback and Roughead to play a part when needed. Top 4 expecting another GF appearance.

Pass mark for the 2019 Pies.

Well lets see.......

The Premiership, for sure - but I would like them about 9 goals up at 3/4 time.

Of course we would need the Brownlow to go with that (I could take Treloar or Grundy [first of maybe 2 or 3 for both], maybe Sier [a Brownlow in his second season!], or maybe even something unusual like a Cox [could you imagine the first American Brownlow?] win)

I would not be inclined to pass the season without Mark of the Year - and I think it should be the great Howe climbing three high, on an already climbing Adelaide or Essendon player, although I might sniff at the idea of a telescopic armed Cox special, or maybe Darcy bolt from the blue

From there it would be selling ourselves short not to aspire to the Goal of the Year - I would be looking for a Stephenson piece of raw speed concave bouncing soccering from the boundary line, a WHE slalom between three lunging opposition [maybe Hawthorn] defenders followed by precision 50 metre nail from the boundary, or a Lynden Dunn closing minutes of the Grand Final Hail Mary 70 metre torpedo which sails through post high [and is followed up with Lynden climbing to the top of the MCG and swatting helicopters from the sky with the pure unadulterated joy of a man who played 100+ mainly losing games for the Dees]

The Play of the Year would need to be Pendles, leaving us a generational piece of Time Lord from an Indian Summer season, where he collects the ball at half back and lopes towards our goal at a speed later determined in Universities to be little faster than a 70 year old with a shopping trolley, but with strange powers which transform every opposition [Carlton] player on the ground into incompetent klutzes doomed to spend the rest of eternity as the players in the slomo whose faces contort as they realise they have been sold a pup and cant get back to where they need to be, in a weird Stephen Bradbury style uber coq up which involves almost the entire Carlton side crashing into each other, falling over, lunging desperately but failing to lay a hand on Pendles, and concludes with Pendles casually popping a goal through from 35 along the ground, as daisy Thomas dives over the top. Professors later determine that the laws of Physics have been parted and that Pendles was travelling in a time bubble, and that the Carlton players were seeing him either 5 seconds before or 5 seconds after where he really was.

The Coach of the Year would need to be Bucks of course - possibly for taking Levi Greenwood onto the bench after hearing assurances from Geelong that Selwood is injured and wont be available to play, but discovering that Joel takes the toss, enabling Levi to pull the jacket off and limber up for another match winning blanketing performance.

The Rising Star - can go to Isaac Quaynor for a season in which he comes in and looks as though he has already played 150 games, with a highlight of bowling over Buddy Franklin with a shirtfront, when Buddy attempts one of those arms out wide baulks.

That'd pass for mine

Technically you go 50% that’s a pass.

What is a successful year more tricky.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes back in the old school days, 50% was enough.

By extension, finishing 8th would be a pass. Would that be an acceptable outcome for you?
I’m a very acceptable person.

The higher we finish the better.

But whatever happens I like enjoying my footy so you take from it what you will.

Onwards and upwards.

Always forwards never backwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back