Mod. Notice What is a roughie?

A "roughie" is trading a NON-INJURED playing player out based on form, and then trading him back in later in the year. It doesn't matter if you didn't know whether they were injured or not. Anyone who traded Neale out and back in did not perform a roughie maneauver. Ditto for Grundy.

99% of the campaigners on this board have tried to claim they've done a roughie, when they haven't.

It's a very very rare occurance and has only happened a couple of times in the last decade on this board.

Everyone should stop trying to dilute the uniques and sheer ballsiness of this move.

Judd_Magic!

Jesus, at least put a bit of razzle dazzle into it.
Does absolutely zero justice to the majesty of the maneuver. JM and H2TYW deserve better.

Apr 25, 2011
Launceston
AFL Club
Richmond
200 (10).gif

Jesus, at least put a bit of razzle dazzle into it.
Does absolutely zero justice to the majesty of the maneuver. JM and H2TYW deserve better.
Sooooooo. It was your post that mislead the entire board?

TLDR: Roughy = trade a bloke out, trade him back in at another point in time, usually fairly close to the original tradeout.

Sooooooo. It was your post that mislead the entire board?

TLDR: Roughy = trade a bloke out, trade him back in at another point in time, usually fairly close to the original tradeout.
Short answer: no.
Long answer: no.

Mar 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Supercoach GRIM REAPER!!!!!
A "roughie" is trading a NON-INJURED playing player out based on form, and then trading him back in later in the year. It doesn't matter if you didn't know whether they were injured or not. Anyone who traded Neale out and back in did not perform a roughie maneauver. Ditto for Grundy.

99% of the campaigners on this board have tried to claim they've done a roughie, when they haven't.

It's a very very rare occurance and has only happened a couple of times in the last decade on this board.

Everyone should stop trying to dilute the uniques and sheer ballsiness of this move.

Judd_Magic!

I feel special uncle Jiska that my pioneering landmark from so many years ago now has it's own mod notice thread.

I truly have made it on here now. 😍

Sep 3, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
I literally put my Chol on this being true, no word of a lie...

10 minutes before tonight's game I was considering Roughieing SPFlynn back in AND, AND, now that my R2 CCJ is dead I'm *en gonna do it.
Just for you campaigners. My adorning fans :moustache:

Mar 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Supercoach GRIM REAPER!!!!!

10 minutes before tonight's game I was considering Roughieing SPFlynn back in AND, AND, now that my R2 CCJ is dead I'm fu**en gonna do it.

10 minutes before tonight's game I was considering Roughieing SPFlynn back in AND, AND, now that my R2 CCJ is dead I'm fu**en gonna do it.
Are you drunk campaigner?

1625142400866.png

No sober. It's killing me.

Anyway I traded SPFlynn out at his bye and will trade him back in Sunday.
He wasn't injured two weeks ago was he :drunk:
He wasn’t a playing player if he had a Bye 🙄

In B4 thread deleted due to incorrect spelling of manoeuvre
We not accepting American English on this board?

My. A few are in for a problematic few weeks.

May 8, 2006
Location, Location
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Denver Broncos, Unlisted
Many years ago in the Before Times, a young fellow by the name Judd_Magic performed what would become known as the “Roughead Out, Roughead In Manoeuvre”. I’m not going to run you through the intricate details as they have been documented in history by greater writers than I, and far more lyricisty much lyricallier with greater lyricalness better than I ever could. In particular, gutsroy crafted this gem.

Briefly, however, it goes a little like this. JM, frustrated by the poor performance of ‘Player X’ (in order to protect the player’s identity we can’t tell you his name) traded said player out of his team. Soon after JM came to the conclusion that he had made a huge mistake. So, to rectify this mistake he traded ‘Player X’ back into his team. Problem solved, no harm done.

Except for one small detail. He told everybody about it.

At the time, I argued that the move, which was gaining notoriety on the BF SC board, should be named the RORI as “Roughead Out, Roughead In Manoeuvre” seemed long and unwieldy. As history will show, I was clearly outnumbered as the name evolved into what we all know as the “Roughy”. That’s okay, language develops according to popularity. It’s how we find ourselves with the word colour, where Americans use the equivalent color. And how “She’ll be right mate” in Australia translates to “She’s right eh?” in New Zealand. And how every dumb campaigner in the world seems to now believe that “Lions” should have a ******* apostrophe.

I’m not bitter about it. Not even a little. In much the same way that I’m not bitter that nobody refers to Orazio Fantasia as “Disney”, yet still hopeful that my impromptu reference to Clayton Oliver as “Hucknall” will somehow stick, against the odds.

mick_clayton.png

But, I digress. It's not about me at all (Narrator: It was in fact, all about him). Whilst it is plainly obvious that the move will forever be known as the “Roughy”, I’m still trying to flog that long-dead horse and as such, have decided to float the idea of the Annual RORI Awards. In which the move retains its name and popularity, but the award rides the coattails of all that glory and also “Roughies” my initial idea back into existence. And with that, I present the Inaugural 2021 RORI Awards for your consideration.

The Rules:
There must be rules. ****ed if I know what they should be though. Read back through any trade or round thread (among others) and you’ll find Jiska stridently defending the honour of the Roughy, often to lengths that nobody else really cares about. “It’s not a Roughy if your guy was injured,” he says, and “FFS that’s NOT a Roughy. @Judd_Magic”. Plus the famous "99% of the campaigners on this board have tried to claim they've done a roughie, when they haven't." Recently there’s been a tussle over the concept of a Pure vs UnImpure Roughy. He’s even gone as far as posting a Mod Notice about it. And that’s how we know it’s srs bsns.

So at a basic level, a Roughy starts with a player IN your team. You trade that player OUT, and then later on you trade them back IN. You can’t call a Roughy if you trade a player IN, and then OUT. That’s just trading you *en nuffie (unless you then trade them back IN).

I’d like to nominate as separate categories, the "Pure" and the "Impure" Roughy, mostly because two categories allows for two awards. Like a Silver and Gold Logie. Or perhaps more like a “Best Song” Grammy and a “Best Alt-Country Accordion and Spoons Cover Version” Grammy. So:
- Pure Roughy. Trading a player OUT and then IN purely based on form, personal bias or sheer idiocy. INJURY TRADES DO NOT QUALIFY. If you traded a player pre-injury you’ll need to provide proof and even then it’ll be subject to judges’ bias depending on circumstance.
- Impure Roughy. Trading a player OUT and then IN for any reason at all. Kind of like an industrial diamond. It's technically a diamond but best of *en luck if you try to put it in a ring for that proposal that's about to be thrown into the sea along with your integrity and self-respect. Your justification for this type of Roughy will be important when it comes to judging.

Further, additional categories might be worthy of consideration, or perhaps just merit bonus points.
- The Double Roughy, where one trades a player OUT, IN, OUT and IN again.
- The Royal Roughy? where one Trades a player OUT for another, then trades that same player back IN while trading the same other player OUT.
- The Rapid Roughy for the fastest return of a player traded out.
- Big Roughy Bonus if the player you trade OUT and IN is actually named Roughead.

I’d like to first open the floor to suggestions, category and rule submissions, and general derision. Then, if this miserable excuse for an idea hasn't been put out of its misery, we can enter the nomination phase. If it then gets far enough to need actual judging, probably a poll? I dunno, I haven’t really thought it through to completion. Much like my SC team each year. Also my real life.

200 (10).gif

Many years ago in the Before Times, a young fellow by the name Judd_Magic performed what would become known as the “Roughead Out, Roughead In Manoeuvre”. I’m not going to run you through the intricate details as they have been documented in history by greater writers than I, and far more lyricisty much lyricallier with greater lyricalness better than I ever could. In particular, gutsroy crafted this gem.

Briefly, however, it goes a little like this. JM, frustrated by the poor performance of ‘Player X’ (in order to protect the player’s identity we can’t tell you his name) traded said player out of his team. Soon after JM came to the conclusion that he had made a huge mistake. So, to rectify this mistake he traded ‘Player X’ back into his team. Problem solved, no harm done.

At the time, I argued that the move, which was gaining notoriety on the BF SC board, should be named the RORI as “Roughead Out, Roughead In Manoeuvre” seemed long and unwieldy. As history will show, I was clearly outnumbered as the name evolved into what we all know as the “Roughy”. That’s okay, language develops according to popularity. It’s how we find ourselves with the word colour, where Americans use the equivalent color. And how “She’ll be right mate” in Australia translates to “She’s right eh?” in New Zealand. And how every dumb campaigner in the world seems to now believe that “Lions” should have a ******* apostrophe.

I’m not bitter about it. Not even a little. In much the same way that I’m not bitter that nobody refers to Orazio Fantasia as “Disney”, yet still hopeful that my impromptu reference to Clayton Oliver as “Hucknall” will somehow stick, against the odds.

View attachment 1171882

But, I digress. It's not about me at all (Narrator: It was in fact, all about him). Whilst it is plainly obvious that the move will forever be known as the “Roughy”, I’m still trying to flog that long-dead horse and as such, have decided to float the idea of the Annual RORI Awards. In which the move retains its name and popularity, but the award rides the coattails of all that glory and also “Roughies” my initial idea back into existence. And with that, I present the Inaugural 2021 RORI Awards for your consideration.

The Rules:
There must be rules. f’ed if I know what they should be though. Read back through any trade or round thread (among others) and you’ll find Jiska stridently defending the honour of the Roughy, often to lengths that nobody else really cares about. “It’s not a Roughy if your guy was injured,” he says, and “FFS that’s NOT a Roughy. @Judd_Magic”. Plus the famous "99% of the campaigners on this board have tried to claim they've done a roughie, when they haven't." Recently there’s been a tussle over the concept of a Pure vs UnImpure Roughy. He’s even gone as far as posting a Mod Notice about it. And that’s how we know it’s srs bsns.

So at a basic level, a Roughy starts with a player IN your team. You trade that player OUT, and then later on you trade them back IN. You can’t call a Roughy if you trade a player IN, and then OUT. That’s just trading you fu**en nuffie (unless you then trade them back IN).

I’d like to nominate as separate categories, the "Pure" and the "Impure" Roughy, mostly because two categories allows for two awards. Like a Silver and Gold Logie. Or perhaps more like a “Best Song” Grammy and a “Best Alt-Country Accordion and Spoons Cover Version” Grammy. So:
- Pure Roughy. Trading a player OUT and then IN purely based on form, personal bias or sheer idiocy. INJURY TRADES DO NOT QUALIFY. If you traded a player pre-injury you’ll need to provide proof and even then it’ll be subject to judges’ bias depending on circumstance.
- Impure Roughy. Trading a player OUT and then IN for any reason at all. Kind of like an industrial diamond. It's technically a diamond but best of fu**en luck if you try to put it in a ring for that proposal that's about to be thrown into the sea along with your integrity and self-respect. Your justification for this type of Roughy will be important when it comes to judging.

Further, additional categories might be worthy of consideration, or perhaps just merit bonus points.
- The Royal Roughy? where one Trades a player OUT for another, then trades that same player back IN while trading the same other player OUT.
- Big Roughy Bonus if the player you trade OUT and IN is actually named Roughead.

I’d like to first open the floor to suggestions, category and rule submissions, and general derision. Then, if this miserable excuse for an idea hasn't been put out of its misery, we can enter the nomination phase. If it then gets far enough to need actual judging, probably a poll? I dunno, I haven’t really thought it through to completion. Much like my SC team each year. Also my real life.

View attachment 1171890

Blood will be spilled.
OIP (2).jpeg

Excellent.
tenor (17).gif

POTY 😍
Boils down to descriptive vs prescriptive ultimately, this does a good job of describing the lay of the land dispassionately 👍

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne

View attachment 1171882

The Rules:
There must be rules. f’ed if I know what they should be though. Read back through any trade or round thread (among others) and you’ll find Jiska stridently defending the honour of the Roughy, often to lengths that nobody else really cares about. “It’s not a Roughy if your guy was injured,” he says, and “FFS that’s NOT a Roughy. @Judd_Magic”. Plus the famous "99% of the campaigners on this board have tried to claim they've done a roughie, when they haven't." Recently there’s been a tussle over the concept of a Pure vs UnImpure Roughy. He’s even gone as far as posting a Mod Notice about it. And that’s how we know it’s srs bsns.

So at a basic level, a Roughy starts with a player IN your team. You trade that player OUT, and then later on you trade them back IN. You can’t call a Roughy if you trade a player IN, and then OUT. That’s just trading you fu**en nuffie (unless you then trade them back IN).

- Impure Roughy. Trading a player OUT and then IN for any reason at all. Kind of like an industrial diamond. It's technically a diamond but best of fu**en luck if you try to put it in a ring for that proposal that's about to be thrown into the sea along with your integrity and self-respect. Your justification for this type of Roughy will be important when it comes to judging.

View attachment 1171890

Any reason why this couldn't have been posted in the existing Roughie thread?

Sep 3, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers

View attachment 1171882

The Rules:

View attachment 1171890

So I doubled Double Royal Roughied Lycett and Westoff the useless campaigners :think:

1625570374949.png

Back