Society/Culture What is, and what is not, 'racist'/'racism'?

Remove this Banner Ad

hey @emo, its Aly dude.

7xrg0.jpg
evo

it was probably originally spelt with an I but he changed it to appear all hip and secular

Mussies dont play guitar

lol.

that it hilarious.

I thought you just put up some crap music like those guys who hit it big in the early last decade with joy division bass lines.

I still remember him either on The Project, not sure which iteration, or ABC Breakfast tv, the one with TRioli and that other joker who always has a smirk on his face and does Northern Territory news croc jokes. anyway, Aly or Ali, is going off about the qualities of The Beetles. That did it for me. And his performance on QandA talking about Iran Nuke program, when there is no program. Either he knows there is no program, and his disiniformation has alternate motive, or he does not know what he should know.

Last edited:
Language from police body camera footage shows racial disparities in officer respect

Police officers speak significantly less respectfully to black than to white community members in everyday traffic stops, even after controlling for officer race, infraction severity, stop location, and stop outcome. This paper presents a systematic analysis of officer body-worn camera footage, using computational linguistic techniques to automatically measure the respect level that officers display to community members. This work demonstrates that body camera footage can be used as a rich source of data rather than merely archival evidence, and paves the way for developing powerful language-based tools for studying and potentially improving police–community relations.

Abstract

Using footage from body-worn cameras, we analyze the respectfulness of police officer language toward white and black community members during routine traffic stops. We develop computational linguistic methods that extract levels of respect automatically from transcripts, informed by a thin-slicing study of participant ratings of officer utterances. We find that officers speak with consistently less respect toward black versus white community members, even after controlling for the race of the officer, the severity of the infraction, the location of the stop, and the outcome of the stop. Such disparities in common, everyday interactions between police and the communities they serve have important implications for procedural justice and the building of police–community trust.

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2017/05/30/1702413114

Language from police body camera footage shows racial disparities in officer respect

Police officers speak significantly less respectfully to black than to white community members in everyday traffic stops, even after controlling for officer race, infraction severity, stop location, and stop outcome. This paper presents a systematic analysis of officer body-worn camera footage, using computational linguistic techniques to automatically measure the respect level that officers display to community members. This work demonstrates that body camera footage can be used as a rich source of data rather than merely archival evidence, and paves the way for developing powerful language-based tools for studying and potentially improving police–community relations.

Abstract

Using footage from body-worn cameras, we analyze the respectfulness of police officer language toward white and black community members during routine traffic stops. We develop computational linguistic methods that extract levels of respect automatically from transcripts, informed by a thin-slicing study of participant ratings of officer utterances. We find that officers speak with consistently less respect toward black versus white community members, even after controlling for the race of the officer, the severity of the infraction, the location of the stop, and the outcome of the stop. Such disparities in common, everyday interactions between police and the communities they serve have important implications for procedural justice and the building of police–community trust.

Can't see any reference in that link to crimes committed - in this case traffic offences and offences where vehicles are involved - as pertaining to white or black. Since the implication is that black people are treated with less respect than whites, that info would be integral imo.

Can't see any reference in that link to crimes committed - in this case traffic offences and offences where vehicles are involved - as pertaining to white or black. Since the implication is that black people are treated with less respect than whites, that info would be integral imo.
even after controlling for officer race, infraction severity, stop location, and stop outcome.

Indeed, you'd hope that the police would treat people the same IN THE SAME SITUATIONS.

However given the well documented and quite significant difference in crime rates between races in the US, I imagine it follows that there is also a difference in the nature of such conversations.

I wonder if the study also measured what was said TO the police by the same criteria...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Abstract

Did they adjust for age & gender? Not exactly news that young black men would be treated worse than old white women for example. It'd be the same in reverse (young white man vs old black woman)

Abstract

"However, we found that race was not associated with the formality of officers’ utterances."

so basically an arbitrary factor of 'respect', assessed by non-present third-parties found that police are racist.

"However, we found that race was not associated with the formality of officers’ utterances."

so basically an arbitrary factor of 'respect', assessed by non-present third-parties found that police are racist.
we showed strong evidence for racial disparities in Respect, but not in Formality: Officers’ language is less respectful when speaking to black community members.

* it.

Any moron can see that if there were really almost 700,000,000 radical muslims, as Shapiro claims, then there would be a hell of a lot more trouble than there actually is.

My comment...I'm embarrassed for you. Your intelligence must be quite low if you have fallen for this s**t.

Last edited:
**** it.

Any moron can see that if there were really almost 700,000,000 radical muslims, as Shapiro claims, then there would be a hell of a lot more trouble than there actually is.

My comment...I'm embarrassed for you. Your intelligence must be quite low if you have fallen for this s**t.
You don't think there is a lot of trouble in the Middle East? ******* lol... The fact you see no issue with so many people supporting Sharia law is worrying. I hope you don't have a daughter or a gay son.

You don't think there is a lot of trouble in the Middle East? ******* lol... The fact you see no issue with so many people supporting Sharia law is worrying. I hope you don't have a daughter or a gay son.

If you could go back through my posts and find one time where I have said there isn't a lot of trouble in the ME I'd cancel my account.

Give it up knackers...your comprehension is primary school level. You've brought a plastic spoon to open heart surgery.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back