What is Baltas best position for 2024?

• Key forward. Unleash the beast!

• Key back. Play it conservative

• Running midfielder/wing

• Trade for draft picks

• IDK. I'm just here for the lols

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

running straight is his thing. he's a back half player. doesn't have the tank for the up and back running needed on the wing. and has been tried forward. use him occasionally forward when the need arises. otherwise back half for mine.

Swinging between intercept/rebounding defender and the role he played in the last match on aliir aliir. Namely, tagging and trying to out-mark the best oppo interceptor. That role takes so much away from the other team and there’s always potential for him to hit the scoreboard because he can take a grab and kick it a long way. I think it suits him perfectly and he has the flexibility to do both roles.

Swinging between intercept/rebounding defender and the role he played in the last match on aliir aliir. Namely, tagging and trying to out-mark the best oppo interceptor. That role takes so much away from the other team and there’s always potential for him to hit the scoreboard because he can take a grab and kick it a long way. I think it suits him perfectly and he has the flexibility to do both roles.

Good merit in your post. But I love your avatar. Higgins, lol.

I was obviously nowhere near the level of footballer Balta is but at my level I was probably a bit similar, played Full Back, loved to run with the ball out of contests. Then I moved to Full Forward and as the years went by I shifted back and forward between the two during seasons and in games. This always worked best for me where I could see the team needed me to play a specific role. Much along the lines of what you are recommending for Balta. I think Balta is also similar to me in that I was shocking anywhere around the midfield. I got confused never knowing how to position myself or which way I should be running. I think Noah is a bit like that. He will evolve and progress as a player and will still be learning all the time.

My main concerns with Balta at Full Back are his positioning and reaction time to adjust his position, and another really key one back there that I don't think most people understand: his instruction to those around him especially when he is the deepest player and therefore can see the most ahead of him. Some of this sort of thing is innate I think, but I am sure he will improve this area of his game over time.

What I think nobody will ever be able to take from him is his great intent to dominate by using his weapons against his opponent. He doesn't go into his shell even when he makes errors. If you were playing on him you could never relax thinking you have his measure, he will always be throwing something back at you even if you are o top. This is a great trait.

Watching a bit of the replay against Port you can see some of our new players running into each other or not quite fulfilling the team aspects like chasing hard, blocking etc. So it may be we will need to settle some players into positions so they can become accustomed to playing together. This was Hardwick's great strength as a coach I think. He didn't believe in funk, just stuck to sound principles and kept the team as stable as possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Such an interesting conversation imo. He’s on the brink of becoming an elite key back. Some would argue he is already there, other than his inconsistencies.

Keep Balta back and try Gibcus up forward. Gibcus IMO has a better footy brain and is a better kick than Noah, even though NB is a longer kick.

Glasses Why Dont We Have Both GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

Lots of debate about him I think people do question his inability to lets say win one v ones consistently enough.
Too many lapses in concentration and he still probably makes a few too many simple mistakes as well.

Thing is based on pure potential He and Gibcus with patience should be the cornerstones of the defense for years to come.
Noah is now just hitting an age where maturity and hard won experience starts to come to the fore.

Personally when all are fit i think with Koschitzke and now the need to play Ryan as a ruck fwd the tall forward dilemma is alleviated a little bit for the short term.

Personally i think the bigger defensive problem we have atm is the decline and poor form of Grimes this year.
I think we have a successor already in the club in Jacob Bauer.

The need to find tall forwards has people overlooking what this kid has done in defense and the very good attributes he has for the Grimes role.
Similar height, similar not real big size very good in the air probably a better mover than Dylan and he uses the ball real well.
His development has been as both a defender and forward both with us in the sanfl and as a junior.

I think when people talk of best players and players best suited for roles our young blokes have been left out in the cold a bit and we have been guilty of fitting old premiership favorites into the team into roles that are not theirs main go at the kids expense or we have failed to drop the older blokes even when horribly out of form.

Been thinking about Balta a bit. I think the only way to make him a more consistent player is to consistently play him as a defender.

Keep the option of swinging him forward or into the ruck there if we get an injury in game, but he should spend all Summer down back building synergy with Young and Gibcus.

Anyone who says anywhere OTHER than a key back should receive an immediate ban.

It should also be the first question asked in interviewing potential coaches.

Number 1 developing intercept defender in the AFL and is already likened to rance in his early days. We need to stop screwing around with his development, it’s become ridiculous.

Gibcus and Balta need to be our pillars. No questions asked. Grimes isn’t around forever and what happens when one of them gets injured!

And stop throwing him in the ruck. He’s an out and out defender. Obvious to anyone who sees him play.

Back