What is better for you? Meat or no meat?

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe everything in moderation, including meat in my diet. I do think that we need to be more discerning in the cuts of meat - finances allowing. Grass fed, organic, hormone-free, free range etc.

There's no evidence that organic food is better for you, but organically grown food is more sustainable as it treats the soil better.
Then again, eating beef is one of the least environmentally sustainable things one can do.

Anyone seen the What The Health doco? Surely a little OTT but some staggering statistics with regard to meat consumption aka eating one piece of meat per day increases your risk of diabetes by 50%.

Anyone seen the What The Health doco? Surely a little OTT but some staggering statistics with regard to meat consumption aka eating one piece of meat per day increases your risk of diabetes by 50%.

I love stats like this. Completely and utterly subjective. Did they compensate for the correlated attributes their meat eating study members had which may also increase their risk of diabetes? Or did they just flat quote that stat without any further, in depth analysis?

I probably eat red meat once a week, two if I'm lucky.
Chicken maybe once a week
Seafood 2-3 meals a week

Every Thursday we go to our local fish and chip shop and get a Tofu Burger. $7. Best burger I've ever eaten. I'm slowly adding more veg to my diet, and if nothing else, its cheaper for the hip pocket.

I'll only eat meat now if its from the markdown bin - both for economic reasons but also for waste reasons. I can't stand to see it all go to waste. So we've got a big freezer and I absolutely SMASH the markdown section

I really don't like Steak.
I mainly eat chicken and fish.
Only occasionally I'll have beef/lamb is stuff like rissoles/sausages.

Also very rarely eat Bacon/Pork

I went vegetarian for a couple of years, mostly for a gal in 2011-2013. I probably felt better without the meat, and enjoyed the challenge of making tasty vegetarian food. But I love the taste of meat, so indulge without reason. I prefer actual butchers or locally caught/shot meat as opposed to factory farming though,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You need carsonine and DHA (real omega 3).

Veganism is a myth.

Actually no. Drop bears are a myth. The bogeyman is a myth. Needing calcium for healthy bones is a myth. Red meat for protein is a myth. Etc. Eating a plant-based diet is a sustainable and perfectly healthy way of life -- many argue much healthier and more sustainable than the status quo we're force-fed from birth.

There's no evidence that organic food is better for you, but organically grown food is more sustainable as it treats the soil better.
Then again, eating beef is one of the least environmentally sustainable things one can do.

There’s compelling evidence that organically grown food is better for you.
I’m also puzzled how you can say organically grown food treats the soil better, but fail to acknowledge the impact pesticide treated food can have on the human body.

Ya meant to wash your veggies first.

Lol, when it’s in the soil you can scrub and soak your vegetables all you like, you’re still ingesting trace amounts of toxins.
Back on topic, there’s volumes of evidence which support a vegetarian diet for heart health, and if you’re still going to eat meat it’s best to choose grass fed. I think moderation is the key here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back