Modern Day Event What is happening to society?

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
How very scientific of you.
It didn't really demand much more. Yours was an inchoate rant full of sweeping statements and broad generalisations aimed to dismiss the work of an entire community when and where it doesn't suit your narrative, despite being responsible for much of the modern world you recognise. It's essentially the theme of the thread. It's like those that seek to group a diverse number of organisations with different views, values and agendas under the umbrella term 'mainstream media' so as to dismiss any evidence that is at odds with their pre-existing world view (though ironically, they will jump right on board if their reporting backs up that narrative in any way).

The thing is, you mention Tesla, and while he was ridiculed at the time, the same scientific community you dismiss now understands, accepts and celebrates his work. That's the nature of science, if you can prove something, science adjusts its views. When seeking to change established thought, it may be more difficult, but as I said before, the truth will out. If you want to 'go against the grain', you need to be able to back it up with evidence. Issac Newton is the father of modern science, but the community doesn't simply accept his studies into the occult because he is the 'establishment'. Einstein is the godfather of science, but that doesn't mean the scientific community isn't trying to square away his theory of relativity with quantum mechanics. Science is about standing on the shoulders of giants, not maintaining the status quo.

NEGAN

Premium Gold
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It didn't really demand much more. Yours was an inchoate rant full of sweeping statements and broad generalisations aimed to dismiss the work of an entire community when and where it doesn't suit your narrative, despite being responsible for much of the modern world you recognise. It's essentially the theme of the thread. It's like those that seek to group a diverse number of organisations with different views, values and agendas under the umbrella term 'mainstream media' so as to dismiss any evidence that is at odds with their pre-existing world view (though ironically, they will jump right on board if their reporting backs up that narrative in any way).

The thing is, you mention Tesla, and while he was ridiculed at the time, the same scientific community you dismiss now understands, accepts and celebrates his work. That's the nature of science, if you can prove something, science adjusts its views. When seeking to change established thought, it may be more difficult, but as I said before, the truth will out. If you want to 'go against the grain', you need to be able to back it up with evidence. Issac Newton is the father of modern science, but the community doesn't simply accept his studies into the occult because he is the 'establishment'. Einstein is the godfather of science, but that doesn't mean the scientific community isn't trying to square away his theory of relativity with quantum mechanics. Science is about standing on the shoulders of giants, not maintaining the status quo.
Wat?

I am going over there now.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm

Fair enuf.

Though the original point was more about when posters on Big footy attempt to enforce the scientific method onto every discipline....Particularly into fields where it hasn't much credence....And yes, I am speaking of the Humanities.

We are not robots, last I checked anyhow.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Fair enuf.

Though the original point was more about when posters on Big footy attempt to enforce the scientific method onto every discipline....Particularly into fields where it hasn't much credence....And yes, I am speaking of the Humanities.

We are not robots, last I checked anyhow.
But we may be simulations ;)

Proud SJW

Cancelled
Aug 27, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
You'll need to find yourself some better bait.
Nah. I do know of some, but YouTube is a particularly poor method of communication in this instance. Short, lacking detail and of course, the main idea is that you're borrowing from someone else in order to make a point. I was just trying to fit in, you know. Buys into the whole "argument as entertainment" sort of demographic.
As for bait, though, it seems to have been as effective as expected. You're here, you're insulting everyone... I mean you don't seriously think anyone believes you're laughing, do you?

On a more serious note....These drop ins really do need a crash course in logic before crashing these sites & tripping over their own tongues.
It's always possible. I'd tend to agree. But that it's you pointing this out is just a wee bit amusing.
In your case, having the flaws in your own argument pointed out to you on numerous occasions hasn't appeared to make much difference, though, so perhaps it would be a waste of time for others, as well.
My experience, personally, has shown that it would be very rare indeed for anyone to actually change their opinion on anything as a result of a post on the internet, and most people come here not to demonstrate or prove knowledge, but to strut around like pigeons using their supposed knowledge as a kind of plumage.

Your argument would be better served, though, if you actually point out and demonstrate your opponents supposed flaws in logic, preferably having first acknowledged your own. You see, respect is not going to come the way you go about things. And please don't try to tell me you aren't here for that.

That way, observers could be conclude once and for all whether or not yours is a superior mind. You see, running around screaming about drop-ins doesn't really serve your point very well. Nor is it even a valid one... I mean you can't seriously be trying to claim now that your argument is superior because you've been here longer? Or perhaps, that you "own" this place? Your ... territory?

Perhaps I should have sniffed around a few posts before I commented on anything?

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
But we may be simulations ;)

You have to allow space for a bit of fun....I mean, this is the conspiracy, mysteries & paranormal board....Which kinda makes a mockery of the o/p's thread premise here to begin with.

I don't believe in Aliens, but I've got nothing against posters discussing it....I'd have to experience something extraordinary in front of my very own eyes, to change my mind on that one....Same with flat earth theory, which I think is both silly & interesting at the same time....Seeing posters getting frustrated at others in it, is bloody hilarious.

Whatever stimulates discussion....It's all a part of the human canvas.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
You have to allow space for a bit of fun....I mean, this is the conspiracy, mysteries & paranormal board....Which kinda makes a mockery of the o/p's thread premise here to begin with.

I don't believe in Aliens, but I've got nothing against posters discussing it....I'd have to experience something extraordinary in front of my very own eyes, to change my mind on that one....Same with flat earth theory, which I think is both silly & interesting at the same time....Seeing posters getting frustrated at others in it, is bloody hilarious.

Whatever stimulates discussion....It's all a part of the human canvas.
I wasn't mocking the simulation theory, by the way, it has a logical consistency that others such as flat earth do not. That's the kind of mystery I like to engage in, not ones that flout known rules and observations.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nah. I do know of some, but YouTube is a particularly poor method of communication in this instance. Short, lacking detail and of course, the main idea is that you're borrowing from someone else in order to make a point. I was just trying to fit in, you know. Buys into the whole "argument as entertainment" sort of demographic.
As for bait, though, it seems to have been as effective as expected. You're here, you're insulting everyone... I mean you don't seriously think anyone believes you're laughing, do you?

Youtube actually has some very interesting channels on it, that cover news stories from a variety of different angles than what you'd otherwise get in the MSM.

I make no bones about the fact that RT is currently far more trustworthy than most U.S mainstream media....Chris Hedges is well respected & one of my current heroes, I must say.....Lee Camp is also very funny in his piss-takes about Washington & all it's dirty laundry & spin....Democracy Now is also an excellent source, has brilliant regular guests like Chomsky, Assange, Greenwald, Hedges, Sanders & Stein. It also panders to no one of the corporate interest variety....The Jimmy Dore Show is a gold nugget of a find too....The humanist report is also a current favorite of mine.

It does take a bit of discernment in differentiating between the chaff & the Hay.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I wasn't mocking the simulation theory, by the way, it has a logical consistency that others such as flat earth do not. That's the kind of mystery I like to engage in, not ones that flout known rules and observations.

Simulation theory is pure Bishop Berkeley....A 17th century empiricist philosopher, famous for his critiques of John Locke.

darthbards

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan
May 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Simulation Theory is real...It even has a thread.
Probably more an actual science topic than a topic for this board.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Very small sample size using the Bigfooty mysteries and conspiracies board, but we're all losing the plot...some of the threads, mainly in the conspiracies sub forum...just wow.

In this day and age...do we just question literally anything? I'm all for the truth and and open mind...but surely our world isn't so faked to the point of nothing being real? Going through the conspiracy board, everything we know is fake and a lie...surely not?

Am I giving the only one thinking this?

I think I can answer just about any question (like that) ever posed in one brief sentence: People are really, truly stupid.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
This thread further validates how vulnerable you humans are. So indoctrinated and brainwashed, that fragments of truth collapse their reality to such a degree they hide like kids under their blankets in fear, hoping that that act makes it all go away. The possibility that everything they know is a lie, like a system-overload, their brains shut down. I can see it in the way they write their posts on here. Tell-tale signs, phrases, words. Their brains melting. Literal fear. And the knee-jerk reaction of theirs is to RUN to silly shallow topics like on the main AFL board. Dive into stupid discussion about football, and such things, as a way to reassure themselves that THAT matters, that their known-reality is safe and sound. Going back to their world of delusions. Like Neo being offered the red and blue pills.

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
This thread further validates how vulnerable you humans are. So indoctrinated and brainwashed, that fragments of truth collapse their reality to such a degree they hide like kids under their blankets in fear, hoping that that act makes it all go away. The possibility that everything they know is a lie, like a system-overload, their brains shut down. I can see it in the way they write their posts on here. Tell-tale signs, phrases, words. Their brains melting. Literal fear. And the knee-jerk reaction of theirs is to RUN to silly shallow topics like on the main AFL board. Dive into stupid discussion about football, and such things, as a way to reassure themselves that THAT matters, that their known-reality is safe and sound. Going back to their world of delusions. Like Neo being offered the red and blue pills.
Please don't bait posters like this. It's like standing behind the teacher while sticking your tongue out at others.

Back