Modern Day Event What is happening to society?

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez Louise

Not my fault people quote comments that are going in the bin about moderation.

Keep it to yourself or PM me like the rules of the whole forum say and not just this board.

How hard is it to follow a set of board rules? I mean seriously this place is like a kindergarten at times.

GG, what would be your preference? Discussion here, on Big Footy? I suspect that would be easier for us both.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

GG, what would be your preference? Discussion here, on Big Footy? I suspect that would be easier for us both.

I was saying in a previous post, your idea of a debating thread with specific "rules" is a good idea. To call it something like Cage Match Debating Thread. Outline the rules in the OP. One debate topic at a time. But has to have a concluding point to it, so we can move on to other topics to debate.

I was saying in a previous post, your idea of a debating thread with specific "rules" is a good idea. To call it something like Cage Match Debating Thread. Outline the rules in the OP. One debate topic at a time. But has to have a concluding point to it, so we can move on to other topics to debate.
I agree. It would have to be run past the powers that be, but maybe a subforum devoted to this sort of thing? In the absence of such a forum at the moment, I imagine the best place for any such discussion on FE would be either this board or the science one.

We'd need to set up the number of posts each (I'm thinking five) and the precise subject.

And then in that OP of that thread, you could go back and edit in the link to the first/introductory post starting a debating topic. That way in the future, people can go back and click the link for each one and read thru.

For instance....say....the first debate topic is Flat Earth.

So in the OP, after many months, it could end up looking like....

Debate #1 - Flat Earth or Globe Earth (hyperlinked to the first post where it starts).
Debate #2 - Did Man Land on the Moon (hyperlinked to the first post where that starts).
Debate #3 - Do Aliens Exist (hyperlinked,etc)

So when a debate ends, with a CONCLUDING post/summary -- could be something like "conclusion: unresolved". Then your next post might be something like, "Debate #2: Did Man Land on the Moon - Debaters Duritz and Cannot" (with a brief introduction by yourself).
So you're hyperlinking your own introductory post that starts a new debate each time.

maybe a subforum devoted to this sort of thing?
Actually that's probably much better. Cleaner looking.

A single sticky where you introduce the sub-board's goal, establish all the rules for each debate. And then you start a new thread for each new debating topic. Same as above, you briefly introduce the topic, and assign two debaters, they cage match it, perhaps a set amount of posts allowed by each side. Say 10 posts total each. When the 20 posts have run out, you post a final concluding assessment or whatever. Then people can jump in after that and continue the debate/argument/discussion if they like. But we're always moving on to the next new thread debate topic. Trying not to have fifty people starting new thread debates at a time. Just a few at a time max.

A new Sub-Board specifically attached to this board would be ideal -- seeing as all the topics in this overall board are so meaty and interesting. There are no bounds to the variety of topics that exist here.

Chism could be something you could ask admin for?

In a thread that's gone 163 pages it's kinda been debated lol.
It stopped being debated a long time ago. Both sides have made their minds up and there is evidence and anomalies on both sides.
Why are some people so obsessed about this?

Anyway,is it within the website rules to have two threads on the same topic?
The old one has also spent time in the bay,where further debate took place if you want to call it that.

And why would people follow new made up rules this time when they can't follow the simple board rules that are put in place anyway. The rules only got tightened for a specific reason.

If people want to think the earth is round,no skin off my nose but I can't imagine a debate changing my mind. I could even have my own imaginary debate because I know what things both teams will say. Over and over,because it's all been said,over and over.

Not my fault people quote comments that are going in the bin about moderation.

Keep it to yourself or PM me like the rules of the whole forum say and not just this board.

How hard is it to follow a set of board rules? I mean seriously this place is like a kindergarten at times.

We all know what that makes you then Chism:

upload_2017-5-8_20-53-23.jpeg

It stopped being debated a long time ago. Both sides have made their minds up and there is evidence and anomalies on both sides.

The old one has also spent time in the bay,where further debate took place if you want to call it that.

And why would people follow new made up rules this time when they can't follow the simple board rules that are put in place anyway. The rules only got tightened for a specific reason.

If people want to think the earth is round,no skin off my nose but I can't imagine a debate changing my mind. I could even have my own imaginary debate because I know what things both teams will say. Over and over,because it's all been said,over and over.
Yeah fair enough. Can see it that way too. No point. Also, that sub-board detracting from the main boards where all those topics are already in full swing.
Cage match h2h idea just sounds cool tho.

What's the harm in it? No one would force you to take part, and in a fact-driven discussion it might actually offer up new and interesting points. A subforum could also offer other discussion and debate. It isn't limited to FE.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah fair enough. Can see it that way too. No point. Also, that sub-board detracting from the main boards where all those topics are already in full swing.
Cage match h2h idea just sounds cool tho.
A 'cage match' subforum offers up the potential for all sorts of fun. To that end, what are your thoughts? Five posts each? 10?

A 'cage match' subforum offers up the potential for all sorts of fun. To that end, what are your thoughts? Five posts each? 10?

10 posts each, no max character count to each post. No videos, links, pictures, no copy-pasted text. Just in their own words. No poll to vote who won or lost. Just the "administrator" of the debate (you) posts a concluding summary -- do try to be objective! And then people can join in after that, free for all. What other rules/stipulations did you want to add?

10 posts each, no max character count to each post. No videos, links, pictures, no copy-pasted text. Just in their own words. No poll to vote who won or lost. Just the "administrator" of the debate (you) posts a concluding summary -- do try to be objective! And then people can join in after that, free for all. What other rules/stipulations did you want to add?
I was thinking of something along the lines of opening statements, followed by point/counterpoint. We should be allowed to reference sources - but make it clear that we are doing so and making that source available for the other party to view. We can both make concluding statements, then open to the floor for discussion afterwards.

Would you object if I decided to post the debate on my site?

Also, have a general discussion thread in that sub-forum, where you can ask people who wants to cage match a particular topic. That way you can get the very best (most knowledgeable) debater for each side.
I agree. There's plenty of room for a lot of fun and interesting debates, from the serious to the silly!

I was thinking of something along the lines of opening statements, followed by point/counterpoint. We should be allowed to reference sources - but make it clear that we are doing so and making that source available for the other party to view. We can both make concluding statements, then open to the floor for discussion afterwards.

Would you object if I decided to post the debate on my site?

I wouldn't care. I'm not sure if BF admin/mod would be ok or not with that. I'd assume no?
I think first we got to see if Chism is ok with the idea of a cage match sub-forum and willing to ask admin to have it.

I agree. There's plenty of room for a lot of fun and interesting debates, from the serious to the silly!

Isn't that why Bay13 and the Mainboard exists on Bigfooty. Lets have a Bay13 for for this Board seperate from the main Conspiracy board.

Isn't that why Bay13 and the Mainboard exists on Bigfooty. Lets have a Bay13 for for this Board seperate from the main Conspiracy board.

Bay 13 is a septic sink hole....This is way cooler & more fun....and interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back