What is happening with the bye rounds in 2020?

Remove this Banner Ad

JPetro83

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United
I heard somewhere that the byes over 3 rounds wont be happening next year? is there some thruth in this? the bye will be either a split round in round 11 or 12 or there will be 1 week after round 11 thhat there will be a week off for all teams. The bye over 3 weeks it stupid.. i cant believe they do it like that in the first place. the old way was much better that round 12 was played over 2 weeks. 4 games 1 week 5 the next etc

I heard somewhere that the byes over 3 rounds wont be happening next year? is there some thruth in this? the bye will be either a split round in round 11 or 12 or there will be 1 week after round 11 thhat there will be a week off for all teams. The bye over 3 weeks it stupid.. i cant believe they do it like that in the first place. the old way was much better that round 12 was played over 2 weeks. 4 games 1 week 5 the next etc
3 weeks of byes absolutely kills the season for many people.

1 week off, maybe promote matches in state leagues or something.

3 weeks of byes absolutely kills the season for many people.

1 week off, maybe promote matches in state leagues or something.
Also fks up dream team and supercoach :D but yep agree, just have 1 week at the mid way point where there are no games and have a commuinty weekend so gressroots and state league footy can shine.

Personally rather than three weeks in a row where six teams all have a bye on same week, I'd rather have nine weeks in a row where two teams both have a bye on same week and following week play each other on a Thursday night. Do that nine rounds in a row and every club has a bye and tv get their Thursday nigh footy bonanza. There would still be 8 games each of those rounds which is plenty and then we have no rounds in season where there is a lull mid year like we have had. So if we had this proposal from round 7 to 16 we would have every club get one bye in the season towards or just after middle of year and then Friday night games to begin each round from round 17 to 23. So most of rounds up to round 16 going to have a Thursday night game which is more than we have now but not total overkill of it.

You can bet your left testicle that there will be one weekend next year where every team will have a week off.

In it's place will be the mid season trade period running from say Thursday evening to Sunday afternoon. The mid season draft similar to this year for players outside of the AFL system will also be conducted during this time.

They could also use it to have an AFLW state of origin game on the Friday night and the GF of the under 18 championships on the Saturday afternoon.

jason pm - has the information I’ve heard.

AFL like the three bye system as it means more weeks playing and more focus on the league and more money - don’t forget its all about money.

But for the mid season trade/draft - you need that weeks break.

I personally like the week off in the middle - but the AFL will go where the money is, as always....

1 week off, float the entire fixture after the bye, with times set around R6 once we’ve worked out who’s good and who’s s**t.
Because of the week off, fixturing in the 2nd half of the year needn’t be affected by the 1st half.

jason pm - has the information I’ve heard.

AFL like the three bye system as it means more weeks playing and more focus on the league and more money - don’t forget its all about money.

But for the mid season trade/draft - you need that weeks break.

I personally like the week off in the middle - but the AFL will go where the money is, as always....
If i had my way there would be 34 Rouns with 2 split rounds.. everyone plays each other twice. AFL would get more $$ haha

who gives a s**t?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

who gives a s**t?
Yeah man, dont come onto Bigfooty and talk about footy. Keep that s**t on Facebook willya.

I hope they go the stand alone mid season bye. The split rounds has always been ordinary and a bit unfair unless you have 2 teams meeting each other the week after they both had a bye.
Stand alone bye week makes it equitable for all. MAybe a show case of the U18s state games so everyone can get a look at the new crop coming through that years draft would work well, or an AFLW State of Origin or state league SOO (WAFL vs VFL/ SAFLvs NEAFL etc with no AFL listed players).

Last edited:
22 game H&A season over 22 weeks, then one week's break, then a single elimination top 6 (top 2 get a bye, no double changes) finals series.

First game of the season on Thursday, April 2nd, 2020, and the GF on Saturday, September 26th, 2020.

Do it, AFL!
Not a fan of single elimination finals to be honest
The current top 8 system has a little hidden benefit in ensuring the two best teams shouldn't knock each other out. If they meet in week 1, they won't meet in the prelim, and if they don't meet in week 1 they both have the opportunity to win straight through to their own prelims. Single elimination you re-open yourself to this prospect.

Not a fan of single elimination finals to be honest
The current top 8 system has a little hidden benefit in ensuring the two best teams shouldn't knock each other out. If they meet in week 1, they won't meet in the prelim, and if they don't meet in week 1 they both have the opportunity to win straight through to their own prelims. Single elimination you re-open yourself to this prospect.

In my system, the two best teams don't meet in week one. They get a bye, while #3 plays #6, and #4 plays #5. The only time #1 and #2 would potentially face off would be in the GF.

It’s more to do with the inequities of the fixture leading to the best teams not always finishing 1&2.

Oh, so a goalpost shift. Still, win enough games in H&A, and earn the spot, same as the top 8.

I think a top 6 cuts out a lot of fluff, and makes finals more cut-throat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back