Strategy What Is Hartlett's Best Position

Remove this Banner Ad

I would like to see Hammer in the midfield a bit more. I love his kicking from the kick ins, and imagine Ryder/Lobbe down to Gray/Gray, with a quick handball to Hammer then a 70m kick into Dixon/Schulz who now have a shot 20m out directly in front. We do that 20 times a game, we win.

Great to see Pipes running laps and doing repeat sprints by himself this morning at Alberton!!!

Considering he couldn't even walk after his groin operation this time last year and interrupted preseasons for as far back as I can remember... I reckon he is in for a massive season!!!

I'm calling it early - Pipes for Ports 2016 B&F!!!

Who's Pipes?!

Anyway, I'd like to see HH on the wing at times next year. Decent pace and a booming accurate kick.

You can take a walking frame on a treadmill? :p

images

Is that you GROTTO ? :D

I would like to see Hammer in the midfield a bit more. I love his kicking from the kick ins, and imagine Ryder/Lobbe down to Gray/Gray, with a quick handball to Hammer then a 70m kick into Dixon/Schulz who now have a shot 20m out directly in front. We do that 20 times a game, we win.
I'd love it if we could manage the Pittard - White - Schulz goal again.

For me there is absolute daylight between Hammer as a HBF and as a midfielder. He finds the ball well down back and his rebound kicking is great. I think we've tried to turn him into something he's not, we have the depth in the midfield now, put him back.

Some players are better with the ball coming to them and reading the play, some are better at winning the ball or finding the ball. Hammer is most certainly better at reading the ball down back.

He shines as a mid. His toughness and teamwork is wasted seagulling off half back.
he had 1 game over 25 disposals for the first 17 rounds last year, i believe he was thrown back more after around then? I don't think he finds enough ball for a mid. I know the argument would be his possessions are quality, but im not sure they are out of midfield, they are much better when he's down back.

And think about it this way, if we play him down back, we will concede between 1-3 goals less cause pittard won't be there. :O

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More to the game than possession numbers. There's only a finite amount of ball to go around.

From The AFL Website in July
"Centre clearance differential: Port Adelaide is +13 when Hamish Hartlett attends a centre bounce"
Again in the Inquirer in September
Untitled.png

Possessions don't make the player. He also had the highest number of average tackles in the whole team in 2015.

More to the game than possession numbers. There's only a finite amount of ball to go around.

From The AFL Website in July
"Centre clearance differential: Port Adelaide is +13 when Hamish Hartlett attends a centre bounce"
Again in the Inquirer in September
View attachment 191011

Possessions don't make the player. He also had the highest number of average tackles in the whole team in 2015.
Puts into perspective. I think he will rotate around HB, midfield, wing and HF (stating bleeding obvious) dependant on matchups. Wish more players took his angry pills

he had 1 game over 25 disposals for the first 17 rounds last year, i believe he was thrown back more after around then? I don't think he finds enough ball for a mid. I know the argument would be his possessions are quality, but im not sure they are out of midfield, they are much better when he's down back.

And think about it this way, if we play him down back, we will concede between 1-3 goals less cause pittard won't be there. :O

Hartlett actually stated that he spent more time in the midfield to finish the season. Think it was stated in his interview for his contract extension.

I think people see what they want to see with Hartlett re his position in the backline. It's more noticeable when a player reads it well and rebounds than when they're in and under winning their own ball.

Just reminding people Hamish is contracted to the end of 2021, so we'll get to enjoy his incomprehensibly mediocre defensive role for awhile yet.

Low key why didn't we just sign Salopek to a min-deal?

Even in his suit and tie he'd still be capable of 12 inconsistent "I can't play midfield because reasons" touches, right?

Try him forward.

Some say he isn't one, well he isn't a defender so try something else. It couldn't go any worse than his current output.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back