Strategy What Is Hartlett's Best Position

Remove this Banner Ad

Might be just me but it feels like even when he goes for it, his kicks don't carry that long range bomb anymore.

Rubbish. He almost made the distance from 60 last night, and it was dead on target too. He can do it when he wants to. However, he never wants to. A few times this year he's handed off when everyone thought he was going to have a shot.

In fact, we've got several players that do that. OHNONO I'M SCARED I HAD BEST NOT TAKE A SET SHOT I MIGHT MISS.

Farken.

Well, it's clearly not half back!

His best footy has always been through the midfield. He's the sort of player who needs to be in the play all the time or else he drifts in and out.

Just reminding people Hamish is contracted to the end of 2021, so we'll get to enjoy his incomprehensibly mediocre defensive role for awhile yet.
This is it. Lobbe was in a position the obvious s**t was too hard to hide, but Hammer can get some easy touches if playing a weak side, or get to share the blame around if we lose. If he was contracted to the end of this year he'd probably already have been dropped. Dropping a player with such a long contract though, Hinkley, Davies and co. all think it'd reflect badly on them, so they 'bury' him down back as the uncountable sweeper and hope.

Well * you, spineless off-field arses. You know what Port fans really respect? Admitting when you were wrong and owning it. Admit the mistake and fix the problem. Yeah, there'll be some laughter from external parties for a bit, but is that more important or is 'We exist to win premierships' really 'We exist to win premierships, but only if getting there doesn't look bad on my resume, as I may need a job elsewhere'. So yeah, keep playing Hartlett instead of developing Houston, kick that can down the road for your replacements, leaving them a shittier list underdeveloped list to work with.

Or just collectively go and get ****ed until you actually want to do what's best for this club. :mad:

It was Harlett's long 50m kick on the wing that went to Dixon for that 23 second set shot with a bit over 3 minutes to go.

That's how we have to use him. Feed him the ball.

His best position is chronic fatigue syndrome & live off is thick pay check in the Bahamas.

Alistair Lynch was diagnosed with CFS before Brisbane became a power house. Then he got a special dispensation to take steroids to treat his condition and as a side affect became a man mountain that was unstoppable during the Lions 3 peat. :confused:

Try him forward.

Some say he isn't one, well he isn't a defender so try something else. It couldn't go any worse than his current output.

yep

I always saw him as a chf flanker

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alistair Lynch was diagnosed with CFS before Brisbane became a power house. Then he got a special dispensation to take steroids to treat his condition and as a side affect became a man mountain that was unstoppable during the Lions 3 peat. :confused:
So there's hope ? ;)

It was Harlett's long 50m kick on the wing that went to Dixon for that 23 second set shot with a bit over 3 minutes to go.

That's how we have to use him. Feed him the ball.

He should be our Shannon Hurn, but instead he's relegated to a bit part player in the backlines that, despite being the loose man and obvious attacking threat, gets ignored by Pittard and Broadbent who turn the ball over to guys like Andrew Mackie with stupid dump kicks out of defrence.

It's a crying shame.

Hamish would have less idea about how to play half forward than he does half back, lol...

Why? He's running around without an opponent now. I don't see how having him roam around the 50 could make him less accountable.

When Hartlett was running a coaching clinic at Paskeville earlier this year, he said he'd been told he would be playing as a defender this season, so it would be a change of thinking by Ken/coaching staff if he is played in another position.

Then again, are there any 'real' positions these days?:)

2H is another victim of long contract syndrome ala the rock lobster, and Kern could arguably be put in that category as well.

It's a trait of human nature for performance to drop off when people get into the comfort zone, regardless of their field of endeavour.

Assuming Davies is the one responsible for the player contracts I highly doubt he had anything to do with the long terms given to eg Hart and Voss, and I would love to be as sure of winning cross lotto as I am that at least one of them will be out the door as soon as their contract is up.

Anyway, back to player contracts, even if a reincarnation of Russell Ebert arrives at the club these ridiculous 5 year contracts have to be kicked to the curb.
3 years should be the absolute maximum for any player, and if the club environment is right I expect very few players would leave, regardless of how many times the AWFL f*** around with the rules.

inkoff-tattoo-removal-clinic-brookvale-professional-services-welcome-to-inkoff-all-your-questions-will-be-answered-during-your-free-consultation-598d-300x0.jpg

He needs to lay off the steroids & slim down a s**t load. He's too big. I'd give him the rest of the year off & then some. Give him a subscription to Jenny Craig. After shedding at least 10kg I'd send him to the Magpies for a year or until his contract runs out. Or we can ask to trade him again in 2018 for a second or third round draft pick as he's not worth much more. Thing is some poor bastard has to pick up his contract $$

He should be our Shannon Hurn, but instead he's relegated to a bit part player in the backlines that, despite being the loose man and obvious attacking threat, gets ignored by Pittard and Broadbent who turn the ball over to guys like Andrew Mackie with stupid dump kicks out of defrence.

It's a crying shame.
I dont know if his soft tissues injuries have caught up with him but he isnt kicking the ball as long as in the past. Pittard just blazes to often and we feed him the ball to much.

I'd like Houston as the main kick moving the ball out of defence and Hartlett on a wing and hitting targets deep inside 50.

The question we have to ask ourselves is where on the ground was Hartlett playing in his career best year. Then put him there and tell him perform or be dropped. Not to let him dictate to the coaches that he can only play in the back line and coast because he thinks he can't get fit enough. Lame excuse for a player playing at the elite level. This isn't under 12's for ****sake

More to the game than possession numbers. There's only a finite amount of ball to go around.

From The AFL Website in July
"Centre clearance differential: Port Adelaide is +13 when Hamish Hartlett attends a centre bounce"
Again in the Inquirer in September
View attachment 191011

Possessions don't make the player. He also had the highest number of average tackles in the whole team in 2015.

IMG_3832.PNG

Reupped for emphasis.

Why on earth wouldn't we be utilising this weapon? If not as a frontline midfielder (because reasons), why not in the Hawthorn Shaun-role of injecting him at chosen moments when we need some extra oomph?

If he's not capable of this (because reasons), we should have no qualms about letting him count his money next to Lobbe and start pumping games into Houston/Atley/Whoever.

View attachment 375277

Reupped for emphasis.

Why on earth wouldn't we be utilising this weapon? If not as a frontline midfielder (because reasons), why not in the Hawthorn Shaun-role of injecting him at chosen moments when we need some extra oomph?

If he's not capable of this (because reasons), we should have no qualms about letting him count his money next to Lobbe and start pumping games into Houston/Atley/Whoever.
It is beyond baffling that a six year contract was given to a blue chip midfielder who can't play anywhere else to a first 22 degree but who also can't play a minute in the guts. I guess this is the work of 2020 hindsight given he was signed up at the end of imo an underrated very good 2015, but gee. Didn't they have an inkling it would turn out this way? Was SIX years /ever/ necessary?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back