Strategy What Is Hartlett's Best Position

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 375277

Reupped for emphasis.

Why on earth wouldn't we be utilising this weapon? If not as a frontline midfielder (because reasons), why not in the Hawthorn Shaun-role of injecting him at chosen moments when we need some extra oomph?

If he's not capable of this (because reasons), we should have no qualms about letting him count his money next to Lobbe and start pumping games into Houston/Atley/Whoever.

I think Chad running through the middle would be most of the answer to that, plus Polec's recovery, and SPP probably the rest of it... if we were going to count available rotations. Would love to see this years version of those numbers BTW - thanks for posting. It was last year or so that I was hoping we could have the incredible luxury of Robbie and Chad up forward while HH went into the middle and worked on using his kick to our advantage and to the "confusion of the enemy". It hasn't happened that way and looks like it won't. The other even more unexpected but positive thing is the sudden emergence of Houston challenging HH even in his "comfort zone".

Such a disappointing player from the promise he showed early. The fact he has said he doesn't have the physical traits to play through the midfield is a cop out and a reflection of him as a person.

I dont believe Dusty Martin had a great aerobic base to begin with, neither did Gary Ablett Jnr. All you need is to be able to do it in bursts.

I think he should be dropped this week.

When Hartlett was running a coaching clinic at Paskeville earlier this year, he said he'd been told he would be playing as a defender this season, so it would be a change of thinking by Ken/coaching staff if he is played in another position.

Then again, are there any 'real' positions these days?:)
It really gets me that changes of decision can't be made throughout the year. Just why are positions, methods, whatever set in concrete, not to be changed until the pre-season.

Ken has just said that we were brave by playing guys in different positions. Wow. Big deal. Why not changes things around a little now.

Hartlett to the wing, Houston to defence, Ah Chee to the Maggies could work this week. He's of little benefit to the side at hb, so must play wing/midfield.

Such a disappointing player from the promise he showed early. The fact he has said he doesn't have the physical traits to play through the midfield is a cop out and a reflection of him as a person.

I dont believe Dusty Martin had a great aerobic base to begin with, neither did Gary Ablett Jnr. All you need is to be able to do it in bursts.

I think he should be dropped this week.

This bold part and when we lost to GWS last year and he comes out saying it felt lonely playing out there, he doesnt deserve to be in the team nor leadership group.

I think he is a bit of a victim of being the anonymous 5th small defender at times - a role occasionally occupied by Matthew Broadbent until his form waivers so much that Ken pushes him into the midfield and remembers that he can play. Seriously this happens mid season every single year.

Hartlett definitely needs to get involved in the game more. Might be wing half forward, maybe short bursts through the middle or even just have him taking some kick ins to get a sniff of leather.

Either way his form won't turn around until he starts bringing some intensity around the footy.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So according to channel 10 Ken pulled Harts aside to tell him he needs to get more of the ball & get involved.

Will be keeping a close eye on Hamish this week to see if he coasts along barely making an impact again, he's getting awfully close to becoming a player that's hard to support.

So according to channel 10 Ken pulled Harts aside to tell him he needs to get more of the ball & get involved.

Will be keeping a close eye on Hamish this week to see if he coasts along barely making an impact again, he's getting awfully close to becoming a player that's hard to support.

Is Hamish a professional AFL footballer or playing under 10s? Can't believe I just read that.

Is Hamish a professional AFL footballer or playing under 10s? Can't believe I just read that.
Yep I was more hoping to hear that he gave him the kick up the clacker he needs or told he's walking on thin ice seeing how he's not leading by example given how experienced he is, like some other coaches would when they're trying to get a rise out of a player.

Ffs Ken give us something take a page out of Blighty's handbook & give a 'pathetic Pitman' to one of these highly paid under performing players, take off the kiddy gloves we're long past babying this group.

I can only hope that this convo leads to him being held accountable and possibly dropped if he continues to plod along but we all know if it hasn't happened yet it won't happen now.

Last edited:

Ken means that Hammer needs to be more attacking rather than just concentrating on helping out defence. He's not back there to just help out - he's supposed to push up into the midfield. He wants Hamish to join in.

If he takes it on board and does exactly that, he will be a valuable asset as the 'Ready 5' midfielder pushing up to provide support from behind in the press. And in doing so, he will free up space behind for guys like Pittard and Broadbent to exploit.

Officially a Gold Pass player now. Sad!
a15d24b5196aa3344e15115ba5d0a8c5.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hammers best position ...

if it was 2013 / 2014 / 2015 then I would say in the team around the midfield as during those years he had 442, 472 & 489 disposals (2014 was also his best year getting 10 brownlow votes)

- refer - http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-port-adelaide-power--hamish-hartlett

these 3 years he was got over 25 disposals a number of times and close to 35 disposals a few times

but since then his attitude has changed and his playing .. now he goes missing for large parts of a quarter .. he only wants to play HBF - he waits for the ball to be in his area before doing anything and now a number of our players have and almost have gone past him

now he is lucky to get 25 disposals and I cant remember the last time he was in our best players ....

the best position now, would be a trade to North Melbourne (who has heap of $$$ to cover his contract thus giving us more money to pay SPP, Hombsch Wines & co) and we could get a minimum early 2nd round pick (which is around pick 23) for him

Hammers career highs (from http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-port-adelaide-power--hamish-hartlett) :-

dot.gif
32 disps (20 kicks 12 hballs), 5 marks and 7 tackles in Rd 22 37-pt win over Gold Coast at Metricon Stadium (29 Aug 2015)
dot.gif
33 disps (17 kicks 16 hballs) and 8 marks in Semi Final 22-pt win over Fremantle at Domain Stadium (13 Sep 2014)
dot.gif
36 disps (17 kicks 19 hballs), 8 marks, 5 tackles and a goal in Rd 12 70-pt win over St Kilda at Adelaide Oval (7 Jun 2014)
dot.gif
29 disps (18 kicks 11 hballs), 8 marks and 2 goals in Rd 6 40-pt win over Geelong at Adelaide Oval (27 Apr 2014)
dot.gif
29 disps (16 kicks 13 hballs), 7 marks and 3 goals in Rd 4 38-pt win over Gold Coast at Metricon Stadium (20 Apr 2013)
dot.gif
32 disps (21 kicks 11 hballs) and 7 marks in Rd 16 56-pt loss to St Kilda at AAMI Stadium (10 Jul 2011)

I wish he was stats like this now :) but he isn't :(

some further information from http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-port-adelaide-power--hamish-hartlett

Season/Career Highs
2017 Highs v Career Highs
Disposals 22 v Brisbane, 29th Apr 2017 36 v St Kilda, 7th Jun 2014
Kicks 16 v Brisbane, 29th Apr 2017 21 v St Kilda, 1st Apr 2012 *
Handballs 9 v Gold Coast, 14th May 2017 * 19 v St Kilda, 7th Jun 2014
Marks 7 v Brisbane, 29th Apr 2017 11 v Hawthorn, 18th Apr 2009
Goals 1 v Sydney, 25th Mar 2017 4 v Collingwood, 3rd Aug 2014
Tackles 4 v West Coast, 6th May 2017 * 11 v GWS, 15th Aug 2015
Hitouts 0 .... (so far) 3 v Western Bulldogs, 6th Jun 2015 *
Supercoach 96 v Brisbane, 29th Apr 2017 155 v St Kilda, 10th Jul 2011
AFL Fantasy 86 v West Coast, 6th May 2017 138 v St Kilda, 7th Jun 2014

Remove this Banner Ad