Discussion What is holding us back from becoming an MMA powerhouse?

Nickos66

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 22, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't think Megan gets a shot anytime soon, she got outgrappled by Holly Holm ffs.

She would benefit massively just spending a coupe of years ironing out some of the big kinks in her defensive grappling to keep things standing where's she's best suited. It's be tough being at the elite pinnacle of the sport with everybody capitalising on your deficiencies - that never appeared to be deficiencies until you started fighting internationally regularly.

the_interloper

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't think Megan gets a shot anytime soon, she got outgrappled by Holly Holm ffs.

She would benefit massively just spending a coupe of years ironing out some of the big kinks in her defensive grappling to keep things standing where's she's best suited. It's be tough being at the elite pinnacle of the sport with everybody capitalising on your deficiencies - that never appeared to be deficiencies until you started fighting internationally regularly.
Speaking of Holly Megan should get along to Greg Jackson's gym, whatever they taught Holly before her Ronda fight worked a treat.

Topkent

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Speaking of Holly Megan should get along to Greg Jackson's gym, whatever they taught Holly before her Ronda fight worked a treat.
Not sure Holly won that fight as much as Ronda had a mental implosion and some of the worst coaching of all time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nickos66

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 22, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Greg Jackson's gym isn't exactly renowned for it's wrestling. ATT Florida would be ideal. Some killers there.

the_interloper

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
AFL Club
Richmond
Not sure Holly won that fight as much as Ronda had a mental implosion and some of the worst coaching of all time
I thought I remembered that Holly had done a lot of work with Jon Jones for that fight. I don't understand a lot of grappling stuff but figured Holly must have learnt some decent defences to keep the fight standing for that.

Nickos66

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 22, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
The strategy for that fight was centered around avoiding the clinch at all costs, she was more or less a matador in that fight. It's questionable how long she'd have lasted if Ronda didn't believe she was an elite boxer. Holly never actually engaged in anything that could be considered grappling in that fight.
rousey bullgif.gif

Last edited:

Topkent

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I thought I remembered that Holly had done a lot of work with Jon Jones for that fight. I don't understand a lot of grappling stuff but figured Holly must have learnt some decent defences to keep the fight standing for that.
That might be true, it's just Ronda thought she was the best striker in the world in her head and then she got it kicked off. I don't remember Holly having to use it once.

the_interloper

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
AFL Club
Richmond
That might be true, it's just Ronda thought she was the best striker in the world in her head and then she got it kicked off. I don't remember Holly having to use it once.
Hey the striking was pretty even from what i remember, don't you remember this exchange?

Top Bottom