Discussion What is holding us back from becoming an MMA powerhouse?

Remove this Banner Ad

phantom13

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
The f’ed thing too is all these Americans now are starting to look off the pace compared to these Sambo wrestlers. The Russians are just nuts
Yeh they are goddamn terrifying. I actually texted a mate on Sunday saying "Ive got 6 inches and 30 kilos on Petr Yan but im terrified of him".

I think theres still a bit to be said for the place and circumstances of a fighter shaping some of the qualities in them. No one fights harder than someone raised in a tough, hard, harsh place especially when they are raised with nothing and fight for everything. Its just a different mindset.

phantom13

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I was in the crowd, when this happened I started yelling "Holly's got her! Holly's got her!", geez it was exciting.
To take a pro wrestling term the crowd popped at that. All 40odd thousand of us were like "OOOOOOHHHHHHH".

I actually remember thinking "jeez thats gotta be demoralizing for Ronda". As Topkent said, Ronda needed to stick to her fundamentals, trying to throw hands with anyone (especially Holly who is still one of the better technical strikers in womens MMA) was silly.

the_interloper

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
To take a pro wrestling term the crowd popped at that. All 40odd thousand of us were like "OOOOOOHHHHHHH".

I actually remember thinking "jeez thats gotta be demoralizing for Ronda". As Topkent said, Ronda needed to stick to her fundamentals, trying to throw hands with anyone (especially Holly who is still one of the better technical strikers in womens MMA) was silly.
I dragged my wife along to that event, even she was up on her feet yelling her head off. MMA isn't for everyone but there's no doubt even non fans would have found that fight incredibly exciting.

Topkent

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yeh they are goddamn terrifying. I actually texted a mate on Sunday saying "Ive got 6 inches and 30 kilos on Petr Yan but im terrified of him".

I think theres still a bit to be said for the place and circumstances of a fighter shaping some of the qualities in them. No one fights harder than someone raised in a tough, hard, harsh place especially when they are raised with nothing and fight for everything. Its just a different mindset.
Haha yeah there's all the fighters say theyd be willing to die in the cage, but you reckon the Russians actually mean it

phantom13

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I dragged my wife along to that event, even she was up on her feet yelling her head off. MMA isn't for everyone but there's no doubt even non fans would have found that fight incredibly exciting.
I give Ronda alot of credit for bringing in casuals and upping the profile of the sport. The only times my non MMA friends wanted to come watch a fight was Ronha (and Conor to a lesser degree)

Crimson Azure

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2007
Mariana Trench
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Lamb on the spit
but if we had an ACTUAL wrestler there i have no doubt id have had my ass handed to me.
This. Unless you've grappled with a wrestler you don't know how strong they are. My little brother was an Olympic lever wrestler and judoka and the strength and control he had was crazy. Add to that they know exactly how to use your weight against you too. The last time I even bothered trying to grapple with him was when he was 16 and 75kgs, I had 10 years and 20kg on him and still got owned.

Nickos66

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I also remember Robert Whittaker fighting a wrestler (Colton Smith?) and having his lead hand pinned to his hip for the whole fight to help shrug off the takedown. He and his team essentially decided Smith couldnt box with Rob so the only danger of being beaten was a takedown. It was brilliant planning and execution.
I remember that fight, Colton Smith had just come from a really average, bottom of the barrel season of TUF and won purely from being the best wrestler on the season, he was undersized as a welterweight and had no striking or power, but I was nervously watching in hopes that Rob wouldn't let him get too close to be able to clinch with him.

Remove this Banner Ad