What is our best 21 for Round One?

Remove this Banner Ad

drunkill has found the best article so far for the new AFLW season
http://aflnation.com.au/2018/01/07/aflw-carltons-best-team-and-season-preview/

There is a suggested best 21 (16 plus 5 interchange this year)

Carlton21-2.png

By my reckoning that leaves these other contenders (rookies can be elevated after LTI);

Kerryn Harrington - mid
Jess Hosking - mid/back
Tiahna Cochrane - mid/forward
Courtney Webb - mid/back (rookie)
Georgia Gee - mid/forward
Reni Hicks - back
Katie-Jayne Grieve - mid (rookie)
Nat Plane - mid
Sophie Li - mid

So have at it BF Blues - what changes would you make to the 21? got any intell on training, line up possibilities?

Let me know if I've stuffed up any info. and I'll update the OP. Or if you have any links to good sources of info/media. It's an AFLW desert out there.

They might probably experiment the girls in a few different positions. but Davey down back was mouth-watering,

Loved Brazzale in the middle last year. She had that 'don't mess with me' sort of game.

The team looks great. The only player I can question about a spot is Breann Moody. Not that she isn't good or anything, but it's more so about what talls we go in with.

Would like to see Jess Hosking in the side if fit. Paired with her sister and Loynes in the middle would scare most opponents

Sophie Li is a lock, and Georgia Gee will get every opportunity. I like that they went with my suggestion of Davey to the midfield. :cool:
J.Hosking, Li and Gee were the three I thought who I thought were unlucky in that best 21....thought I didnt think anyone in the squad didnt deserve to be there. Good problem to have.

What is the thinking on 16 + 5 interchange ? Is that what it was last year ?
One less on the bench this season. Remember these are games played at the end of summer, and the men operate with 18 + 6 or 18 + 8 in the same conditions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

J.Hosking, Li and Gee were the three I thought who I thought were unlucky in that best 21....thought I didnt think anyone in the squad didnt deserve to be there. Good problem to have.

Agree. Nat Plane will also get her chances.

I clicked on the link and was informed i had used up my free access to articles for the month :mad:

Is this like the last person to touch it before it goes out gives away a free kick ?

I get that message on the first day of the month on the first link I click on to. Think the quota must be 0.

It is a good idea.

There were way to many stoppages last season.
a little fearful of using the womens game as a testing ground for the mens - plus it could well become some sort of hybrid sport if too many changes are made off the back of match statistics

Last touch will give AFLW a modern touch

I will deadset need to be convinced.

It is a good idea.

There were way to many stoppages last season.
Funny how playing 16 a side on regular footy grounds with semi-professionals in the middle of summer turned it into a slog fest... this is just them doubling down on that.

There will be even more stoppages, they just won't go near the boundary now. The sooner the AFL let it be 18-a-side and run alongside the men's game, the better the game will be for it, but that doesn't look as good on a financial projection.

Funny how playing 16 a side on regular footy grounds with semi-professionals in the middle of summer turned it into a slog fest... this is just them doubling down on that.

There will be even more stoppages, they just won't go near the boundary now. The sooner the AFL let it be 18-a-side and run alongside the men's game, the better the game will be for it, but that doesn't look as good on a financial projection.

thylacine60 they trialled this in the SANFL too.

I suspect it is only a matter of time until it is AFL policy

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back