kid_a

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2010
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, East Freo, Glory
Drove through Armadale and my 8 year old son marvelled at the sheer number of shopping trolleys adorning the streets.

I went there yesterday to see a friend, the first time I have been in four years.

My god literally, and I do mean literally, 90% of the people there just look weird(aussie chavs, eshays, people who's faces have been severely affected by years of drug use etc). I don't mean to sound judgmental but by christ its like there is something in the water there.

After living in Sweden for two years, I would say Armadale is the very opposite in terms of physical appearance in the western world when compared with Stockholm.

It is like its own little world out there, the land of the damned.

megadeth86

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Gosnells - where the train station and library's market values are higher than all the houses put together! If only people could just live in the library.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie

megadeth86

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Calista, Medina, Orelia have the lowest house prices in Perth. The mutants that live in the area are a result of the BP refinery down the road. South Fremantle WAFL district.

On moto g(8) power lite using BigFooty.com mobile app

If Western Australia becomes independent and West Coast and Fremantle get pushed out of the AFL cos it's all just too hard, and Fremantle play South Fremantle in the WAFL, who are those people going to support? There's a conundrum for you.

megadeth86

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
I went there yesterday to see a friend, the first time I have been in four years.

My god literally, and I do mean literally, 90% of the people there just look weird(aussie chavs, eshays, people who's faces have been severely affected by years of drug use etc). I don't mean to sound judgmental but by christ its like there is something in the water there.

After living in Sweden for two years, I would say Armadale is the very opposite in terms of physical appearance in the western world when compared with Stockholm.

Armadale and Kelmscott are like visiting 1986 again - 600 ml. ice coffee carton in one hand and a smoke in the other.

megadeth86

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton

Try Paisley and Airdrie in Scotland and many parts of Glasgow - average male life expectancy below 60 I believe.

Haven't they been sinking oodles of cash into tarting up the "City centre"?

Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Try Paisley and Airdrie in Scotland and many parts of Glasgow - average male life expectancy below 60 I believe.

Spent a few days in Glasgow. One of the few places I've visted where even in the touristy spots I've felt I actually could get stabbed in broad daylight.
That being said we found an awesome little scotch whisky bar that had probably over 100 scotches. Most were £2/shot and the pours were very generous. Needless to say we were lucky to get out alive.

megadeth86

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Spent a few days in Glasgow. One of the few places I've visted where even in the touristy spots I've felt I actually could get stabbed in broad daylight.
That being said we found an awesome little scotch whisky bar that had probably over 100 scotches. Most were £2/shot and the pours were very generous. Needless to say we were lucky to get out alive.

Yes, the glamour and the trendiness is restricted to certain businesses or streets and there is that undercurrent of hatred/strife/depression - the sectarian troubles are always there under the surface and constant grey skies gets people feeling down. Country areas are a bit better except for Ayrshire and Lanarkshire (hardcore Rangers FC/Loyalist areas).I couldn't believe how Rangers and Celtic pubs are defined that way 24/7 and not just on match days. Even wearing green or blue is frowned upon in the wrong places - it's mental. At least Australia no longer has any major sectarian problems.

Jul 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast Wonders, West Perth
Armadale and Banksia Grove are the only two suburbs I've genuinely felt unsafe in whilst walking around.

But nothing can compare to Lismore in NSW. I actually had to punch a guy who was persistently far too interested in my at the time 15 year old sister. Broke a finger on that creepy *ers chin. Hurt like a mother.

megadeth86

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Haven't they been sinking oodles of cash into tarting up the "City centre"?

Yes, definitely. And a town called Paisley at the western border of Glasgow applied to be the City of Culture. It was laughable - like Armadale or Kelmscott applying to be City of Culture. I guess the local Chinese restaurants might count, a bit of "culture" there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

megadeth86

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Armadale and Banksia Grove are the only two suburbs I've genuinely felt unsafe in whilst walking around.

But nothing can compare to Lismore in NSW. I actually had to punch a guy who was persistently far too interested in my at the time 15 year old sister. Broke a finger on that creepy f***ers chin. Hurt like a mother.

Beckenham back in the 1980s was scary, right up until mid-2000s. Now it has a lot of new middle-class people and middle-class immigrants so it has changed a lot. This incident happened to me at Beckenham train station one night about 2002 or 2003:

Total darkness, about 9pm. I'm waiting for a train south at Beckenham station all by myself (before it got renovated). About 8 Aboriginal guys, teenagers, come up to me on bikes. I say to myself: Don't show any fear.

First guy said: Hey, bro, got a light?
Me: Nah, mate, sorry, mate.
First guy again: You got some money?.
Me: Yeah, here, mate, all the best, have a good one (and I give him a bit of change.)
First guy: Thanks, mate, (Then they all ride off).

It was a bit of nervy experience at the time although nothing bad actually happened.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
Beckenham back in the 1980s was scary, right up until mid-2000s. Now it has a lot of new middle-class people and middle-class immigrants so it has changed a lot. This incident happened to me at Beckenham train station one night about 2002 or 2003:

Total darkness, about 9pm. I'm waiting for a train south at Beckenham station all by myself (before it got renovated). About 8 Aboriginal guys, teenagers, come up to me on bikes. I say to myself: Don't show any fear.

First guy said: Hey, bro, got a light?
Me: Nah, mate, sorry, mate.
First guy again: You got some money?.
Me: Yeah, here, mate, all the best, have a good one (and I give him a bit of change.)
First guy: Thanks, mate, (Then they all ride off).

It was a bit of nervy experience at the time although nothing bad actually happened.
I was waiting for the part where they bashed you. You haven't been to Thornlie station much have you, one of the worst train stations in Perth by far.

I grew up in Beckenham from 1996-2005 and it wasn't scary at all imo.

megadeth86

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
I was waiting for the part where they bashed you. You haven't been to Thornlie station much have you, one of the worst train stations in Perth by far.

I grew up in Beckenham from 1996-2005 and it wasn't scary at all imo.

No, I haven't been there, probably just as well.

SwanGold

Cancelled
May 10, 2021
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

I walked down the East End from the CBD to Celtic Park. Went through the Barrowland Markets and bought a Scotland hoodie so I didn't attract attention. Parkhead council estate has some energy about it like I was being watched. I also stayed in Brixton, South London which was interesting. Had a great time over there. There is a dude called 'Ultimate Bucket List' on YouTube where he does stadium tours in the rival guernsey. Quite funny.

HAPPY BUDDHA

🤣🤣🤣
10k Posts
Oct 2, 2018
Scarborough
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Royals
Gosnells - where the train station and library's market values are higher than all the houses put together! If only people could just live in the library.
Second this. Gosnells is just a rundown urban wasteland with absolutely nothing redeeming about it. You see pics of the worst slums in the US and ‘Gozzie’ could easily make the top 5 list in comparison. Total shithole.

megadeth86

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
I walked down the East End from the CBD to Celtic Park.

I did that walk during the first lockdown when exercise was permitted! It's a damn long way and not all that interesting as it is mostly full of post-war council houses as the original tenements were torn down, except for a small area at Bridgeton Cross. Pubs on the Gallowgate were of course closed. I was exhausted at the end after walking back to the CBD.

Did you notice how even outside lockdowns Glasgow CBD is hardly ever really crowded? It's like it was built for a bigger population and emigration has taken its toll over the years.

megadeth86

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
The government had a fair sense of irony when naming a suburb “Success”.

But it can’t topple Armadale & Gosnells.

If you ever romanticise about the 1970s or early-1980s, a trip to Gosnells town centre will be just the thing for you. Gosnells - where Red Rooster is still consumed non-ironically.

One good thing though that that corridor had was the Sunday Football League (RIP). They were foolish to just bury those clubs in the big mass of the amateurs.

Ishmael_

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2013
Six Thousand
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Fremantle
This thread sucks, basically just 'insert poor suburb' is a hole.

I've lived basically everywhere in Perth and never felt genuinely unsafe, lucky to have such a safe city and country to call home.

Imo the worst suburbs are the on the ends, too far from anything of note and too many poms.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back