What is the appeal of Clive Palmer?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not saying it's a logical process, I'm telling you what is happening.

By all means, argue with me over the colour of the sky instead of seeing it and moving on.

That's what is happening. Workers are looking at those who claimed to represent them and seeing that it's been a convenient lie. Or at least they feel as such, so they look for an alternative that is saying things that resonate.

Again, when the major parties spend all the time between elections talking about how incompetent each other is the average punter just sees it all as bad and loses interest even more. There is only so much mental airspace people have for this sort of stuff.

No. You keep talking about ‘workers’. Who? Where? You’re basing it on your own fever dream. It’s transparent projection.

This party will try and consolidate all the halfwit right wing voters who love one nation, citizens council fluff.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

so what are you proposing Taylor?

you seem to be against everything

If first world nations decided that they won't use international workforces that would be considered slave labour in their own nations to subsidise cheap goods manufacturing it might go some way towards encouraging local production and local jobs.

I wouldn't know how to resolve that, but I would like it is political donations and influence were more transparent.

No. You keep talking about ‘workers’. Who? Where? You’re basing it on your own fever dream. It’s transparent projection.

This party will try and consolidate all the halfwit right wing voters who love one nation, citizens council fluff.

You know all those people who work in jobs, or worked in jobs, that are no longer environmentally convenient for the inner city ALP voters who aren't part of an on the tools union?

Them, and those like them.

You're trying very hard to move the discussion away from the reality that ALP voters are attracted to the Australia first message of the UAP

If first world nations decided that they won't use international workforces that would be considered slave labour in their own nations to subsidise cheap goods manufacturing it might go some way towards encouraging local production and local jobs.

I wouldn't know how to resolve that, but I would like it is political donations and influence were more transparent.

so you can all imports from china, india, mexico, and on and on. Then what? automated factories in japan and the usa and germany will export to us instead

here is the number 1 lesson on manufacturing - its not labour that outprices australian goods. its our small market size, and the comparable cost of logistics to get it to decent markets

You know all those people who work in jobs, or worked in jobs, that are no longer environmentally convenient for the inner city ALP voters who aren't part of an on the tools union?

Them, and those like them.

You're trying very hard to move the discussion away from the reality that ALP voters are attracted to the Australia first message of the UAP

What is your evidence?

Australia first. Lol.

That is an overly simplistic view of things. UAP works on the premise that there is a significant portion of the population (with various political persuasions) that are totally dis-engaged/dis-enfranchised by the 2 major political parties. Despite his political leanings, that vast majority of Palmer's advertising isn't aimed at right wing voters specifically, it is generic "we're are the only ones who REALLY care about you" type schtick, which is essentially a-political.

Palmer is also in the fortunate position of being able to promise the world, without ever being held to account for making it happen. The type of voter they are after generally wouldn't have enough political engagement to ever understand whether the party they have voted for has done anything that is in their best interests.

It's important to separate HIS political ambitions/leanings from those of the people he is targetting.

so you can all imports from china, india, mexico, and on and on. Then what? automated factories in japan and the usa and germany will export to us instead

here is the number 1 lesson on manufacturing - its not labour that outprices australian goods. its our small market size, and the comparable cost of logistics to get it to decent markets
Fair point, I also don't think consumers care too much where and how their cheaper TV is made or what it costs. See the electric vehicle market and Democratic Republic of Congo mines.

So no, you have no evidence

Maybe this will help. From the ABC news website.

Palmer reached his main goal
"But perhaps the most underestimated influence of Labor's collapse was the preference flows from minor parties, namely Pauline Hanson's One Nation and Clive Palmer's United Australia Party.

In the south-east seat of Longman, which changed hands from Labor to the LNP, the two minor parties ate up more than 15 per cent of the primary vote. In other regions, their primary share soared to more than 20 per cent. And just like that, Labor's fate was sealed."

Both Labor and the LNP saw their primary vote drop, with both One Nation and UAP increasing.

Unless you're suggesting that halfwit right wing voters also vote ALP?

So no, you have no evidence

You don't care what I say, you have to oppose it. You have Taylor Derangement Syndrome.

That's a joke... Just go to a mining union meeting and ask about climate policy of the ALP. There will be people like you there who know exactly where that conversation goes and brown shirt the conversation elsewhere but the undercurrent is there all the same.

The workers who go to the UAP feel like the ALP walked away from them to get in bed with the greens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is why you're talking up a party led by a guy whose policies are almost written up to benefit his wallet.
I'm not talking him up, I'm not voting for UAP.

The whole point of the thread is to discuss what attracts people to vote for the UAP. Hence we are discussing it.

Well, I'm discussing why and others are laughing point the thumb behind them and saying to their like minded mates: "check out these idiots"

I'm not talking him up, I'm not voting for UAP.

The whole point of the thread is to discuss what attracts people to vote for the UAP. Hence we are discussing it.

Well, I'm discussing why and others are laughing point the thumb behind them and saying to their like minded mates: "check out these idiots"
You're claiming 'workers' are going to them without offering any specifics, numbers etc. You migt see some in a specific industry because they happen to work in one of the indstries this parasite is trying to suck dry. Other than that, you'll need to offer facts.

They've gone backwards in fed politics. This stuff about 'workers' (lol) is a right wing fever dream.

You're claiming 'workers' are going to them without offering any specifics, numbers etc. You migt see some in a specific industry because they happen to work in one of the indstries this parasite is trying to suck dry. Other than that, you'll need to offer facts.

They've gone backwards in fed politics. This stuff about 'workers' (lol) is a right wing fever dream.

There's some actual numbers, but it appears it's vitally important to you that other workers don't think it's common for them to move to another party.

Which is why you're talking up a party led by a guy whose policies are almost written up to benefit his wallet.

Other people's reactions to people being "associated/linked" to UAP doesn't help either. Nothing dis-enfranchised people like more than being told that their are idiots for doing what they do.

That's not to say that voting for UAP isn't silly, it most certainly is, but trying to drive that down the throats of people who do it is going to achieve SFA.

Despite your desire to pigeon hole all UAP voters as "halfwit right wing voters", there is a lot of nuance here that is quite fascinating. As I posted earlier, the empirical evidence suggests UAP have been able to draw votes from both sides of the political divide, and is worthy of debate/discussion/exploration.

That is an overly simplistic view of things. UAP works on the premise that there is a significant portion of the population (with various political persuasions) that are totally dis-engaged/dis-enfranchised by the 2 major political parties. Despite his political leanings, that vast majority of Palmer's advertising isn't aimed at right wing voters specifically, it is generic "we're are the only ones who REALLY care about you" type schtick, which is essentially a-political.

Palmer is also in the fortunate position of being able to promise the world, without ever being held to account for making it happen. The type of voter they are after generally wouldn't have enough political engagement to ever understand whether the party they have voted for has done anything that is in their best interests.

It's important to separate HIS political ambitions/leanings from those of the people he is targetting.
here's a simplistic take. he's a front for the coalition.

There's some actual numbers, but it appears it's vitally important to you that other workers don't think it's common for them to move to another party.
Workers, workers, workers.

Their numbers halved since that 2013 election by the way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back