What is the appeal of Clive Palmer?

I understand his ads are basically talking to people who feel they have been dudded in the management of Covid.

"Freedom!" Braveheart type stuff.

But I am asking sincerely for anyone thinking of voting for UAP, what do you think he will do for you?

I'm not really interested in people abusing him as, say, some fat *er who would crawl over your dead body to take food from your child's mouth. That's not the point of the thread.

But what is it that appeals to you about voting for the UAP?

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Although hes a fat funker who would crawl over my dead body etc etc, he affirms my poor decision making skills cynically in an attempt to get an electoral advantage over labor by funnelling preferences to the liberals so they rubber stamp my business model of rape and pillage of the earth.

im so goddamned thick that this can be shown to me - clearly ….yet i will swallow it faster than paris hilton swallows a load of knobcustard.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Not really the point of the thread.

I'm interested in his appeal to people who are actually considering voting for him.
Oh believe me i cant wait to vote for custard guts clive ….

finally one nation have dragged themselves up to second last on my preferences - well done big Pauline “chutney muff” Hanson

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
Ill try and answer as someone who used to be sucked in to this fake right wing populism s**t.

His supporters arent policy wonks. Lol.

Being a Trump or Palmer supporter is a performative act. The act of actually voting for them is pointless; the publi declaration of supporting them is the thing. The hope that someone wll admonish you; the expectation of LOL TRIGGERED. It's why the red hats and flag carrying is huge with these types. They want you to know, and your hoped for reaction is the purpose. The fake sense of rebellion. Smart people know these candidates will only further entrench the wealthy and powerful, but their supporters genuinley see them as rebels, and their public declaration of support is similarly edgy.

kalex6251

Club Legend
Nov 12, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
trump succeeded because of the populist, theatrical nature of the chaos he wrought ..... no more so evident than when he goes off on a 'give a f$%k' $hit-stirring bender ..... indeed his entire 2016 election campaign could be viewed as one giant pi$$take (the repeated hillary attacks ...... i could shoot someone in 5th ave confession ......... his distasteful remarks about john mccain ..... the infantile nicknames he made up for his enemies) ..... it was all about the chaos ..... and the great unwashed loved it as they saw him thumbing his nose at washington power

theres a bit of this in palmers schtick

[edit] and like trump, palmer famously has a glass jaw .... pin him down and interrogate what hes said and he will storm off in a hissy fit .... the similarities are there .... and are many

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I understand his ads are basically talking to people who feel they have been dudded in the management of Covid.

"Freedom!" Braveheart type stuff.

But I am asking sincerely for anyone thinking of voting for UAP, what do you think he will do for you?

I'm not really interested in people abusing him as, say, some fat f***er who would crawl over your dead body to take food from your child's mouth. That's not the point of the thread.

But what is it that appeals to you about voting for the UAP?
I’m not personally considering voting for him.

I would guess you’re looking at the downtrodden. White people who have nothing going right, no power and no real voice? So they hit out at anything and everything. It’s a bit depressing because the formation of such a group of people is down to Australia more broadly

I like that dinosaur park he owns.

images (11).jpeg

Very cool, Clive. Never been there myself though.

Apr 8, 2006
2014 or 2008. Probably 2008.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns
I knew someone who used to live on one of the golf course housing estates he did up in Queensland. I was told that Clive would lose his s**t if he caught people diving for golf balls. That’s right - if he became aware of people doing it he’d have security drive him on the golf cart over to the offender and Clive would give them a mouthful. Pretty sure the bloke I knew got ‘banned’ from the gym at the course and told by Clive to ‘* off’ after being caught diving for golf balls. The security guy apologised for Clive’s behaviour.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Clive does have a populist streak that can fire up a few people, but beyond that his appeal is simply leading a protest party where disgruntled voters can place their votes. In that respect, he's no different from Pauline.

The problem is that protest parties tend to burn out pretty quickly without an actual base, and the UAP doesn't have one.

Personally, I think he's a dickhead, but IMO he is an entertaining one. More so than Pauline is, and his time as MP wasn't actually all bad. He did help block the worst of Abbott's abortion of a budget in 2014, for example, so he'll always have that. Plus he did help depose Campbell Newman as QLD's Premier. Plus, he's more likely to be right about something than Pauline is (not saying much).

Even now, he's apparently planning to help unseat Dutton.

The majority of people in Australia's total political connection is hearing about Party A complaining about Party B and Party B complaining about Party A. So they believe that both are doing a poor job, they aren't motivated enough to head towards a fringe party like One Nation or The Greens - they don't care enough.

Then they see a political ad or hear one that has someone saying things that almost everyone agrees with without context or nuance and it sounds reasonable.

So they trigger the protest vote.

There's also people who are disnfranchised with the more progressive and softer approach of the LNP and the ALP walking away from workers towards Green policy who see some support for them in the UAP.

If you're looking for some grand plan political game here then the conservatives have been in need of a third party option that will send preferences towards them but attract the vote of traditional ALP voters.

Not Important

never test the depth of water with both feet.
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Not really the point of the thread.

I'm interested in his appeal to people who are actually considering voting for him.
poorly educated mavericks who r anti authority and who find his black and white view of the world attractive.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
The majority of people in Australia's total political connection is hearing about Party A complaining about Party B and Party B complaining about Party A. So they believe that both are doing a poor job, they aren't motivated enough to head towards a fringe party like One Nation or The Greens - they don't care enough.

Then they see a political ad or hear one that has someone saying things that almost everyone agrees with without context or nuance and it sounds reasonable.

So they trigger the protest vote.

There's also people who are disnfranchised with the more progressive and softer approach of the LNP and the ALP walking away from workers towards Green policy who see some support for them in the UAP.

If you're looking for some grand plan political game here then the conservatives have been in need of a third party option that will send preferences towards them but attract the vote of traditional ALP voters.

How is the LNP being more progressive?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
So who votes for Barnaby who’s deputy pm but runs a protest campaign each time.

Or scomo himself who’s running on getting govt out of our lives, after being the most loudmouth buffoon pm ever.

why cant he achieve that now? How does voting for him and more of the same achieve that?

Yeah. The commitment to maybe reach a target in 30 years. And all those public spending measures. All the ones you listed.

Good to see you had no objection to the idea that the ALP has deserted workers so they are moving to the UAP which will send their red votes to a blue tie.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
Good to see you had no objection to the idea that the ALP has deserted workers so they are moving to the UAP which will send their red votes to a blue tie.
The ALP and LNP have moved to the right on economic issues.

It's not going to be 'workers' flocking to UAP.

Here's their policies. Feel free to point out the wages and conditions stuff to me.

It's a mix of wink wink nod nod to anti-vaxxers, 'Australia has fallen' freedom idiots, racists and his own financial interests.

The ALP and LNP have moved to the right on economic issues.

It's not going to be 'workers' flocking to UAP.

Here's their policies. Feel free to point out the wages and conditions stuff to me.

It's a mix of wink wink nod nod to anti-vaxxers, 'Australia has fallen' freedom idiots, racists and his own financial interests.

I've already said it's not about politics. We have a national discussion where the media is full of negativity where choice 1 slams choice 2 and choice 2 slams choice 1 and people tune out, they think they are all in shambles - new voice comes along and starts talking what they see as common sense then the two previously mentioned shambolic groups go after them.

People have to vote and currently everyone else they get to choose from has been slammed back and forth like Thor with the Hulk.

I don't think most people care enough to take even a single step towards issues when the airspace is full of the usual politics.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
I've already said it's not about politics. We have a national discussion where the media is full of negativity where choice 1 slams choice 2 and choice 2 slams choice 1 and people tune out, they think they are all in shambles - new voice comes along and starts talking what they see as common sense then the two previously mentioned shambolic groups go after them.

People have to vote and currently everyone else they get to choose from has been slammed back and forth like Thor with the Hulk.

I don't think most people care enough to take even a single step towards issues when the airspace is full of the usual politics.
Right.

You're a reflection of it, considering your last few posts in this thread. 'The LNP has become more progressive'. No, that's wrong.

Right.

You're a reflection of it, considering your last few posts in this thread. 'The LNP has become more progressive'. No, that's wrong.

They've spent billions of dollars and committed to zero emissions - that's not conservative politics no matter how far you try and push the position of center to make far left policy seem reasonable.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
They've spent billions of dollars and committed to zero emissions - that's not conservative politics no matter how far you try and push the position of center to make far left policy seem reasonable.
You've take an environmental and economic imperitive- and turned it into 'far left' politics.

Again, you're part of the problem.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Committing to zero emissions is only a conservative bugbear in murdoch countries. .

the rest of tge world arent subjected to endless recycled lies and conservatives there are happy to go zero emissions

merkel was centre right christian democrats and not just anti fossil fuels but anti nuclear.

Back