Toast What is the best 5 minute burst of individual footy brilliance you have seen?

Remove this Banner Ad

All of us watch the game we love and savour team efforts. Undeniably though we are entranced by those short periods when one player catches fire and is completely unstoppable.

There are heaps of examples I recall.
*Carlton’s Peter Bosustow turning the game in the 4th quarter with improbable speckies and goals,
*ditto Snake Baker (NM) would catch fire in short bursts in Finals,
*Phil Carman could turn on mercurial bursts as could Peter Matera, Juddy, Peter Daicos,
*Richo and Dusty for the Tigs and GAsnr have had bursts when it seemed like they were the only player on the ground,
*Sometimes it was a more obscure player turning it on - sorry Hawks but Ben Ronke springs to mind.

Unhappily I can’t find the vision, but my all time favourite crazy 5 minute burst was from John Pitura playing for South against Geelong in the 70s. During this burst there were three centre bounces, Pitura won each clearance and weaved his way through heavy traffic to dob 3 successive long range goals. Aside from the Umps and ruckman of either side, no-one else touched the footy for five minutes. Though it took five minutes allowing for the footy to be returned to the centre, there was probably under a minute of actual game time.

I reckon that Pitura burst (and a damned good season as well) was what persuaded the Tigers into what became a famously bad trade. (Lol, I confess when it happened I thought South had been dudded!).

So what is your favourite five minute burst of sheer unstoppable brilliance from an individual player?

Ronke wasn't really 5 mins he just turned elite whenever he played us. Will Langford is probably in the same category during the 2014 final series (and back half of 2014) wasn't 5 min patches but entire games at the level you'd expect form the elite.

From Hawthorn Cyril and Jarman spring to mind also like others mentioned Stewie Dew in the 2008 GF was the first player I thought of when reading the thread title.

Bruce Lindner against the swans at SCG in 1987. Did nothing for three quarters and then just exploded from about the ten minute mark of the final quarter. Kicking goals, taking marks on the last line of defense, was everywhere and did everything to turn around a near five goal deficit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick Davis the obvious one with his two late goals in that final

Fevola with his three in 5 minutes against Essendon late in the 3rd to put us infront for the first time all day after training by as much as 48

Judd EF v Richmond got us back into it

Hird vs North in that massive comeback had multiple periods of brilliance

Petrie v Essendon in the EF

Hird v West Coast in the minutes leading up to that sublime goal he kicked to seal the game

Bruce Lindner against the swans at SCG in 1987. Did nothing for three quarters and then just exploded from about the ten minute mark of the final quarter. Kicking goals, taking marks on the last line of defense, was everywhere and did everything to turn around a near five goal deficit.

I have repressed memories of that Lindner effort. He had a knack of turning it on v my mob. A superbly talented player like John Sharrock, another mercurial albeit erratic Cat forward from the 60s

All of us watch the game we love and savour team efforts. Undeniably though we are entranced by those short periods when one player catches fire and is completely unstoppable.

There are heaps of examples I recall.
*Carlton’s Peter Bosustow turning the game in the 4th quarter with improbable speckies and goals,
*ditto Snake Baker (NM) would catch fire in short bursts in Finals,
*Phil Carman could turn on mercurial bursts as could Peter Matera, Juddy, Peter Daicos,
*Richo and Dusty for the Tigs and GAsnr have had bursts when it seemed like they were the only player on the ground,
*Sometimes it was a more obscure player turning it on - sorry Hawks but Ben Ronke springs to mind.

Unhappily I can’t find the vision, but my all time favourite crazy 5 minute burst was from John Pitura playing for South against Geelong in the 70s. During this burst there were three centre bounces, Pitura won each clearance and weaved his way through heavy traffic to dob 3 successive long range goals. Aside from the Umps and ruckman of either side, no-one else touched the footy for five minutes. Though it took five minutes allowing for the footy to be returned to the centre, there was probably under a minute of actual game time.

I reckon that Pitura burst (and a damned good season as well) was what persuaded the Tigers into what became a famously bad trade. (Lol, I confess when it happened I thought South had been dudded!).

So what is your favourite five minute burst of sheer unstoppable brilliance from an individual player?
Was there that day, remember the Pitura 3 goal burst well.

Franklin kicked the 2 best goals of 2010 within 3 minutes of each other

Dew in the 08 GF however is the best 5 minutes I have seen. Split open a tight GF in less than 5 minutes with a pivotal role in 4 goals

Last edited:
Nick Davis the obvious one with his two late goals in that final

Fevola with his three in 5 minutes against Essendon late in the 3rd to put us infront for the first time all day after training by as much as 48

Judd EF v Richmond got us back into it

Hird vs North in that massive comeback had multiple periods of brilliance

Petrie v Essendon in the EF

Hird v West Coast in the minutes leading up to that sublime goal he kicked to seal the game
Agree with you Judd. His performance in that final against us was sublime.

Dusty two minutes each side of 3 quarter time in the 2017 qualifying final was also pretty memorable for mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back