Toast What is the best 5 minute burst of individual footy brilliance you have seen?

Remove this Banner Ad

No he doesn't own it at all.

Plenty of terrific examples.
Lol, c'mon man.
Playing arguably the most complete side in AFL history in a GF they should never have lost.
Tight game, enter a guy dragged out of retirement that kicks 2 and sets 2 more up to put Hawthorn in the winners seat and clinch his 2nd Premiership medal in 4 years at 2 different clubs.

The answer is S. Dew.

Was more like a 100 minute burst but when Tommy Hafey switched Peter Daicos from his midfield role to a more mid forward role in 1981....the results were fairly devastating to opposition sides. Here's one of his first forays as a permanent forward and 9 goals against the Tiges. I particularly love the one where he "back baulks" 3 desperate Tiger defenders and then slots the goal on his left as they crash into each other.

Watching that bloke play for a decade or more was like tickets to the ballet...he was magic.

Was more like a 100 minute burst but when Tommy Hafey switched Peter Daicos from his midfield role to a more mid forward role in 1981....the results were fairly devastating to opposition sides. Here's one of his first forays as a permanent forward and 9 goals against the Tiges. I particularly love the one where he "back baulks" 3 desperate Tiger defenders and then slots the goal on his left as they crash into each other.

Watching that bloke play for a decade or more was like tickets to the ballet...he was magic.

Mark Lee was a thug

Yeah nah. No he doesnt.

Of all the minutes played in footy over the years there are plenty of good'uns.

Maybe he just owns it in your mind.
But its not just in his mind, its not even recent, its a 5 minute period from a GF 15yrs ago that has been mentioned more times and by more people in this thread than any others.
Surely we cant be all mistaken.

Darren Jarman in the 1997 GF and Dew in the 2008 GF came first to mind but they have already been mentioned.

For the Tiges, Nathan Brown in the last quarter against Collingwood in 2005. 3 goals in 5 minutes to put us in front and 5 for the quarter to win the game. This was just two weeks before he had his leg broken :(.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone mentioned Stuart Dew in the 2008 GF yet? ;)

Stuart-Dew-2008-Grand-Final.jpg

Malcolm Blight R10 1976 v Carlton tops them all.

14 points down with 5 minutes left on a low scoring day, Blight peels off 3 goals from marks, all from improbable positions with a heavy, muddy ball.

The first with a drop punt from long range (though not as long as the 70 metres commentator Lou Richards estimates).

The 2nd a banana from deep in the right pocket.

The third a torp from around 60 metres out that sails through above post height. The last kick was after the siren to win the match and has been measured as a 80 metre+ kick.

Unbeatable.

Last edited:
Anyway
I've got one that might not be as good as others in this Thread, but still great

Cam Pedersen vs West coast 2017
Down by 16 points with 7 minutes to go, he comes through taking crazy good contested marks, a goal and the last 4 scores (3.1) of the game with him being involved in all of it

And we won our first game in Perth in 14 years

Probably top 3 for favourite H&A games ever, very underrated game. Pitty only Dees fans and maybe some WC fans would remember it.

I'll see if I can find some highlights of Pedersen in that game

Last edited:
Some don't seem to appreciate, or ignore, that the premise of the thread is ''the best 5 minute burst of individual footy brilliance you have seen''.
I agree, I feel like player kicking a bag in a whole half of footy isn't really what the thread is for - still great to see the highlights though.

Nick Davis, Max Gawn, Dew etc. Doing all that in under 15 minutes of footy is a good example of a burst

But its not just in his mind, its not even recent, its a 5 minute period from a GF 15yrs ago that has been mentioned more times and by more people in this thread than any others.
Surely we cant be all mistaken.
Who is "we all"?

Plenty of other players getting a mention.

Also unless ud watched every minute of footy ever played its ridiculous, dare I see conceited, to make a definitive claim one way or the other on any one example.

Obviously plenty of worthy nominations. Over the years.

Just depends what one had the mist meaning for you and that is a direct function of your age at the time it happened.

Out of interest how old were you when it happened?

Early 20s?

Things always seem amazing in ur early 20s.

Glenn Freeborn kicked 3 goals in around a 5 minute spell just before half time in the ‘96 Grand Final. Got us back into the game. Was a massive momentum swing. Sydney probably had the better of the first half overall but they must have been deflated after that burst. We went into half just ahead and then steamrolled the Swans in the 2nd half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back