Toast What is the best 5 minute burst of individual footy brilliance you have seen?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
Who is "we all"?

Plenty of other players getting a mention.

Also unless ud watched every minute of footy ever played its ridiculous, dare I see conceited, to make a definitive claim one way or the other on any one example.

Obviously plenty of worthy nominations. Over the years.

Just depends what one had the mist meaning for you and that is a direct function of your age at the time it happened.

Out of interest how old were you when it happened?

Early 20s?

Things always seem amazing in ur early 20s.
The numerous people who've given Dew's performance the nod.
Sure other players have been mentioned but none as often as Dew.

It wasn't a home and away game, it wasn't in a prelim final, it was a pivotal moment in a GF against arguably one of the greatest teams to ever take the field.

I was 32.

FourthTimeAround

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2022
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
One that’s not about kicking goals, but standing against the flood.

2004 PF Port Adelaide v St Kilda.

St Kilda was on fire early with Gehrig getting the two he needed for the ton early, and the crowd invading the ground did help Port recalibrate immensely, but what can get lost in that initial 5-10 minutes was the work that Roger James did holding firm against the early tidalwave of Saints pressure.

James finished with 28 possessions that night, had half of them by early in the second quarter, and I wouldn’t be far off in saying he had 7-8 of Port’s first dozen possessions in the first 5-10 mins - we could have been 5-6 goals down instead of just 2 and the 04 flag probably wouldn’t have happened.

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast

St Kilda was on fire early with Gehrig getting the two he needed for the ton early, and the crowd invading the ground did help Port recalibrate immensely, but what can get lost in that initial 5-10 minutes was the work that Roger James did holding firm against the early tidalwave of Saints pressure.

James finished with 28 possessions that night, had half of them by early in the second quarter, and I wouldn’t be far off in saying he had 7-8 of Port’s first dozen possessions in the first 5-10 mins - we could have been 5-6 goals down instead of just 2 and the 04 flag probably wouldn’t have happened.
I think someone (possibly Powell?) polaxed him too. Looked like he'd have to be carried off, but he stayed on, and even though he was staggering around dazed, he still kept getting the pill!! Unbelievable performance.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Angus Brayshaw's 3rd Quarter efforts to mark and goal to put us in front of the 2021 grand final, also killed Josh Schache afterwards and did some other cool stuff (including fluffing a forward 50 entry) was all very nice I think, I just really love Angus Brayshaw so I'm gonna vote for him.

God Mode

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2011
Mount Olympus
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bulls
Honestly, 2022 has to be close. Seriously good list in 2022 and virtually unchanged bar Selwood in 2023.
Definitely a better forward line than our 08 side. However, I'd contend our 08 midfield and defence were both a level above.

Being the oldest list ever means things can change super quickly in terms of output. It'll be interesting to see how we go over the course of this season. Player management again will be key.

It would be a tantalising match-up between Geelong and a revitalised Melbourne!

Judd in the EF v Richmond

Stewie Dew v Geelong 08

Jack Riewoldt against West Coast in the first quarter in 2010. Kicked 4 and 3 contested marks in a 5 minute patch. Was unstoppable.

Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Six decades of domination
Bit of a left field suggestion but Brian Lake in the 2013 GF.

Had a big 5-10 minute burst in the third quarter where he was unstoppable in the air while Freo had all the momentum. Topped it off with his last quarter efforts in which he just about marked every contest.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Definitely a better forward line than our 08 side. However, I'd contend our 08 midfield and defence were both a level above.

Being the oldest list ever means things can change super quickly in terms of output. It'll be interesting to see how we go over the course of this season. Player management again will be key.

It would be a tantalising match-up between Geelong and a revitalised Melbourne!
Just had a look, yes definitely, 08 was seriously good. I guess the backline you could make a case for Stewart and maybe Tuohy replacing two in 08, but borderline of Tuohy.

Your midfield in 08 was virtually elite. Absolutely baffled how you lost that GF.

Melbourne are a long way off Geelong in 2023 I reckon. I think we could be shot to be honest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Bruce Lindner against the swans at SCG in 1987. Did nothing for three quarters and then just exploded from about the ten minute mark of the final quarter. Kicking goals, taking marks on the last line of defense, was everywhere and did everything to turn around a near five goal deficit.

Was one of the plays a massive barrel from almost the wing that hit the top of the goal post?

God Mode

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2011
Mount Olympus
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bulls
Just had a look, yes definitely, 08 was seriously good. I guess the backline you could make a case for Stewart and maybe Tuohy replacing two in 08, but borderline of Tuohy.

Your midfield in 08 was virtually elite. Absolutely baffled how you lost that GF.

Melbourne are a long way off Geelong in 2023 I reckon. I think we could be shot to be honest.
Haha don't worry, to this day I still try and figure out how.

I must disagree with you on the state of Melbourne though, still super young and in your prime. If you make the most of Gawn and Grundy you'll have a weapon no other team can compete with.

Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond

Good nom

In a similar manner, Rance was a leviathon in the last 5 minutes of rd 23 2015 against Sydney, to sure up a finals spot

tenderwarrior

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2003
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
Bruce Lindner against the swans at SCG in 1987. Did nothing for three quarters and then just exploded from about the ten minute mark of the final quarter. Kicking goals, taking marks on the last line of defense, was everywhere and did everything to turn around a near five goal deficit.
The President! The greatest player there nearly was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back