Toast What is the best 5 minute burst of individual footy brilliance you have seen?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll see you and raise you Reggie Miller vs NY Knicks.

1995, Game 1, Conference Finals, Madison Square Garden
Pacers 6 pts down, 17 secs to play,

Reggie hits a quick 3, intercepts the deflected inbound pass, steps outside the line, hits another 3 to tie the game, then grabs a rebound after 2 missed Knicks free throws, is fouled, then hits 2 free throws of his own.
8 points. 9 seconds of game time.

Watched it a million times. Still in awe.

Last edited:
Jarman 97 GF

Craig Starcevich v Carlton Round 14 1988. Kicks three goals in two minutes in the last quarter to win it for us. Unfortunately for him Silvagni took "Mark of the Century" on him that day. Best home and away game I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Nick Davis sticks out to me more than Dew, because he was Sydney's only goal scorer in the final quarter, and he single handedly pinched that game with 3 seconds to go, after Sydney looked dead and buried with a 23 point lead to their opposition, into that final quarter. Whereas Dew had more forward support, and the game was more or less on Hawthorn's terms, even before that burst he had.

forgive me for not reading everything upthread,
Michael Long against Carlton in a Final.

What has no one posted this video? Only 3 minutes of game time to destroy the cats so maybe he ineligible

“An unlikely bulky hero!”

Bruce Lindner against the swans at SCG in 1987. Did nothing for three quarters and then just exploded from about the ten minute mark of the final quarter. Kicking goals, taking marks on the last line of defense, was everywhere and did everything to turn around a near five goal deficit.

One of the greatest 7 possession games of all time.

Lockett would have plenty of quarters where he booted 4 or more goals in quick succession. Only issue St Kilda were a pretty bad team and struggled to win despite his heroics up forward.

Lockett's 2nd quarter against Geelong in the 1991 Semi-Final at Waverley was pretty awesome. From memory he kicked 5 in that quarter, and a number came very very quickly after each other.

However, if we're talking 5 minute bursts, I'm surprised (actually not really) not even Geelong supporters have mentioned Tom Hawkins at the start of the last quarter of the 2011 Grand Final. Took 4 towering marks, you could see the air deflate from Collingwood with each one, and we went from being 7 points up to 25 points up in an eyeblink.

Those 2 GOTY contenders by Aka in quick succession are pretty hard to top. Shithouse conditions and he nailed 2 goals YouTube goal kickers would be proud of

Aker kicked those ridiculous goals in the wet against Geelong in 05 in under a minute.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does Barry Hall count after hitting somebody high and then giving away three fifty meter penalties to the full back resulting in a goal from their goal square?

5 minutes left in the Third Quarter of the 2008 GF Hawthorn lead by 5 points.
2 minutes left in the Third Quarter, Hawthorn lead by 30 points ~ Dew in 3 minutes kicks 2 goals and has 2 Goal Assists.

Destroyed Geelong in 3 minutes.

The flog umpires then gift a bunch of BS frees to Geelong including a ludicrous downfield free which only served to give false hope to the Cats.

Dew just demolished Geelong.

Still think Lockett's 1991 semi final against Geelong (2nd quarter particularly) is right up there.
That was crazy. I was actually at that game and it remains probably the best game of footy I've ever witnessed.

Lockett's second quarter was just extraordinary.

I was also at a final at Waverley when Alan Jakovich kicked 8 in the second half against Essendon after being held almost possessionless by Shane Heard in the first half.

Another mad performance.

forgive me for not reading everything upthread,
Michael Long against Carlton in a Final.
I was there that day, and for whatever reason I just didn't really think Long was that good. He was Ok, but at the time I never considered it a dominant or special performance.

Kernahan kicked 7 in a losing team, and never gets a mention. He was easily, EASILY, best on ground that day.

A little left of centre, but Lindsay Thomas first 5 minutes in the 2014 Semi final against red hot favourites Geelong.

He torched James Kelly for 3 goals in the opening 5 minutes and Geelong never really recovered until the last 10 minutes of the game when they nearly pinched it.

Geelong had beaten North twice throughout the year from memory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back