What is the biggest AFL crowd you were a part of?

Remove this Banner Ad

100,022 for 2018 GF.

Since I started regularly attending in the late 1980s I've been lucky enough to be part of:
  • 6 crowds of over 100k
  • 20 over 95k
  • 45 over 90k
  • 78 over 85k
  • 105 over 80k

How lucky this is was emphasised a couple of years ago when I was able to go to a Premier League game for Tottenham at Wembley. The crowd was about 76k and it was at that stage in the top few EPL crowds of all time. Doesn't even make my top 100.

Biggest Home and Away crowd
Round 20 2000 Carlton v Essendon 92,000.
Biggest finals and H/A crowd have involved the Bombers.
Biggest Carlton v Collingwood crowd 88,000, 2011 Magpies flag unfurling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

53,698, First showdown of 2017. Ground record at the time until the preliminary final that year. Fondly remember Tex’s long bomb in the last to win the game. Celebrated in an area packed with port supporters.
[/QUO
That 2017 prelim atmosphere was magic and even seemed louder than the 2018 anzac match I was at with a 94000 crowd. Those away showdown wins are always a special buzz too.

74K hawthorn vs north 2007 SF.

The week before was when Buddy kicked 7 goals against the Crows and won us the match at the death.

I sat in the nosebleeds with my partner, and I remembered, everytime the Hawks got the ball the crowd was deafening.

Unfortunately, North won on the night.

Crowd was definitely pro Hawthorn, but when North had the match sewn up in the last quarter, a large section of North supporters started singing their song loud and proud.

Last edited:
74K hawthorn vs north 2007 SF.

The week before was when Buddy kicked 7 goals against the Crows and won us the match at the death.

I sat in the nosebleeds with my partner, and I remembered, every the Hawks got the ball the crowd was defeaning.

Crowd was definitely pro Hawthorn, but when North had the match sewn up in the last quarter, a large section of North supporters were singing their song loud and proud.

Unfortunately, North won that night.
I went to the Hawks Cats final 2013 with a hawks fan my ears were ringing. No bullshit

Who did the Blues play?

I reckon the biggest game I've ever been to that involved Carlton would be the 2013 elimination final against Richmond, which had a crowd of 94,690. I can't think of any games involving Carlton that would have had bigger crowds in my lifetime.

As for any club, I've found the list of Grand Final attendance figures - https://afltables.com/afl/teams/allteams/gfgames.html

Biggest I've been to is the 2018 Grand Final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back