Injury What is the current injury status of our list??

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anybody know if Surman's back injury is going to be ongoing issue or what ?

They do not believe so.

Back issues are very common in taller players particularly tall ruckman so its a matter of building it up. The hawks are pretty conservative wrt injuries e.g. Roughy's recon at the season's outset, so they'll take a slow but sure approach with this kid. Their new slowly slowly approaches appear to have solved Roili's hammy problem and this is being used on Webster, and somehow they have extended Burgoyne's career with us into an incredible seventh season. I have every faith in Russell's heroes to get the kid right even if it takes to midyear.

Surman has the potential to be Frawley's replacement but he'll play more like Lake as the number one one defender. We will not be taking any risks with this kid whatsoever.

Last edited:

As far as I can tell from the AFL website and training reports on BigFooty:

J. Roughhead out with a PCL reconstruction for half the season
A. Woodward out for the first half of the season recovering from an ACL reconstruction
W. Langford not training fully due to a knee complaint
M. Spangher not training fully due to a calf strain
L. Langford still being managed cautiously
R. Burton still being managed cautiously

Anything else?

You can throw in Duryea who missed the practice game. I have no idea what's wrong or if there is anything wrong e.g. perhaps he got secretly married and is on his honeymoon :D, but he's been missing for a week or so.

Lachie Langford has a few niggles but given his history they continue being cautious.

You can throw in Duryea who missed the practice game. I have no idea what's wrong or if there is anything wrong e.g. perhaps he got secretly married and is on his honeymoon :D, but he's been missing for a week or so.

Lachie Langford has a few niggles but given his history they continue being cautious.
So he has ligament strain, then.

Just read on the HS Barometer that Ryan Burton is out for 12 weeks with a leg injury and O'Rourke for 4 weeks with a hammy.

I read somewhere that the plate in Burton's leg keeps resulting in swelling and his leg flaring up after games.

The decision has been made to remove the plate, which will see him miss most of the season but will hopefully address the post match swelling.

The intention is to have it done now so that he can either complete a full pre-season and be ready go for round 1 next year, or if things go really well, get back before the end of the year.

I read somewhere that the plate in Burton's leg keeps resulting in swelling and his leg flaring up after games.

The decision has been made to remove the plate, which will see him miss most of the season but will hopefully address the post match swelling.

The intention is to have it done now so that he can either complete a full pre-season and be ready go for round 1 next year, or if things go really well, get back before the end of the year.
Lucky he's not at Fremantle or he could be suffering a similar fate to Fyfe.

Thanks CLA.

It's strange that's it's not included in the injury list on the Bios recovery report on the website today

Thanks CLA.

It's strange that's it's not included in the injury list on the Bios recovery report on the website today
Fagan spoke about it in the previous injury report last week...

Clarko's prematch presser he said that they weren't able to get the workload into Ryan that they needed to without swelling so they wanted to get the plate out now so he was ready to go for a full preseason

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back