What is the matchup that matters most to your club next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
I'm guessing every club has a matchup next year that looks like it might define the year more than any other. I'm not going to guess for other clubs.
I am fascinated by this Melbourne St Kilda comparison that seems to invigorate both clubs supporters but I think it's a Melbourne thing I dont really get.

For us I think it's West Coast. We have them twice and have never beaten them. Our last game at our place was a ripper and we just fell short. I dont get the argument they will fall down next year, they're better with Nic Nat but will be contenders in my view.
If we are going to contend seriously for the flag we cant lose both in my view. Beating them in Perth will be hard but we must be about ready to do hard things.
For your club?

Last edited:

Clearly against Hawks. Longest losing streak we had against a club in our history, I would guess.
They just been through best era in their history in similar time we been in our worst.
I am expecting they are on the slow decline and us the slow climb back to our premiership winning ways as a club.
So in a lot of ways, if we beat them we are probably improving at a rate that satisfies my expectations of rate of improvement and other Carlton supporters.

Of course a win over GWS would be nice as I rate them the team to beat in 2017 but the Hawks win would have more meaning for 2017 expectations. Bring it on. Not sure when we playing them but looking forward to all our challenges in 2017.

A few 8 pointers vs Port, Melbourne, St Kilda and Fremantle.

Otherwise, I'd say Hawthorn round one is our most important game. For so many reasons.

And can we just beat Geelong? It's hardly ever a contest. I think we beat them once since 2005, and only by 4 points.

Rd 2 against the Swans. Unveil the premiership flag before the grand final rematch. Our away wins against Sydney have been our defining H&A wins the past 2 years. Rd 2 may be a microcosm of our season.

Would imagine we'll be a defining game for a few teams now, like GWS and Sydney.

Rd 2 against the Swans. Unveil the premiership flag before the grand final rematch. Our away wins against Sydney have been our defining H&A wins the past 2 years. Rd 2 may be a microcosm of our season.

Would imagine we'll be a defining game for a few teams now, like GWS and Sydney.
I dont think so, cant speak for Swans fans but for us it's clearly WC and the Crows game in Round 1 to me.
Mistake to focus on last years winners I think. The Hawks bobbing year after year is uncommon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think so, cant speak for Swans fans but for us it's clearly WC and the Crows game in Round 1 to me.
Mistake to focus on last years winners I think. The Hawks bobbing year after year is uncommon.

That's a nice idea for supporters, but the GWS players will want to atone for their PF defeat and minimise the Dogs psychological advantage come finals.

North have been good majority of the time through this hoodoo. . St Kilda haven't
I wonder which is more important. We'd never beat North until round 23 last year, and what you said, they were a better side until then. I think they're the targets you have to hit though, hence WC for us.

That's a nice idea for supporters, but the GWS players will want to atone for their PF defeat and minimise the Dogs psychological advantage come finals.
Dont see a psychological advantage in a one goal win frankly. It was a fair win but not soul destroying or giving reason to think it cant be reversed. It was obvious the loss hurt rhe players though, that's a good sign in my view.
I dont think Leon's the kind of coach that will allow that kind of focus. Last year the club took a lot of satisfaction beating Port twice, but that was more because Port went the bully tactics when we wère largely teenagers.
The hurdle for us is still away games against good sides and big hostile crowds I think.

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wonder which is more important. We'd never beat North until round 23 last year, and what you said, they were a better side until then. I think they're the targets you have to hit though, hence WC for us.

Would be nice to beat them both but there is something more frustrating losing to the saints, probably because it has given them ammunition for a couple years now to say their rebuild is going better

Round 1 against the Saints. The hoodoo (hopefully) finally ******* ends.
we will always have your measure lol, hope its a great match to kick off your year
happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif
happy.gif

Would be nice to beat them both but there is something more frustrating losing to the saints, probably because it has given them ammunition for a couple years now to say their rebuild is going better
Yeah I said in the OP I dont get the Demons Saints thing, but I get it's there. I think all of us need to focus on matching the Bulldogs midfield play personally.
The more they focus on last year the easier that'll be

Of course a win over GWS would be nice as I rate them the team to beat in 2017 but the Hawks win would have more meaning for 2017 expectations. Bring it on. Not sure when we playing them but looking forward to all our challenges in 2017.
Carlton certainly rate GWS. Half there list are ex GWS reserves players,although that might have to do with Simple Silvagnis ego also.

Dont see a psychological advantage in a one goal win frankly. It was a fair win but not soul destroying or giving reason to think it cant be reversed. It was obvious the loss hurt rhe players though, that's a good sign in my view.
I dont think Leon's the kind of coach that will allow that kind of focus. Last year the club took a lot of satisfaction beating Port twice, but that was more because Port went the bully tactics when we wère largely teenagers.
The hurdle for us is still away games against good sides and big hostile crowds I think.

I think their might be a bit of a psychological advantage brewing. GWS had a nice lead,at home,with a spot in the GF almost there,and some could say they choked. This can play on clubs minds,we suffered from it after choking against Adelaide in 97.
The way GWS played could also haunt them. Totally lost focus and worried about the tuff image rather than tuff or skilful football,they really made some big phychological errors in the way they went about the Prelim. I'd think they'd be keen to try and put some of these demons to bed against the dogs before finals.
I think a win against the Eagles will be good for the young club because you have never beaten them more so than actually important in respects to the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back