What is the matchup that matters most to your club next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably Geelong. We failed to beat their game plan twice last year and could break through their defence. If we have worked on that over preseason it will go a long way to being top 4.
Yep, Geelong has had the stick over us. Every other team I feel confident that we will win when game day rolls around (despite obviously losing a nimber of those matches). With Geelong I'm always pessimistic.

Not everything is about us which is absolutely correct, but we are the reigning premiers and become the hunted this year.

Do you genuinely believe your club believes a match against a mediocre Pies outfit matters more than a rematch of last years prelim?
The club would say every game matters

We say we havent beaten the pies yet so its important to get the win.

Itll be an exciting game against the dogs but

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

They beat you in round one and it gets messy for you with their Dee fans reminding you of it means for you a so called re-build is not going so well. I am expecting Melbourne to go better myself so I not liking your chances of this ending well for you.

They beat you in round one and it gets messy for you with their Dee fans reminding you of it means for you a so called re-build is not going so well. I am expecting Melbourne to go better myself so I not liking your chances of this ending well for you.
First of all, I was taking the piss as it was what a Melbourne supporter had said on page 1. And second, I'd like to know why you think they'll beat us? We beat them quite easily twice last year, have improved our side over the off season, they've got a few injuries already and it's at Etihad.

All good about taking the piss.
As far as my own thoughts, I just like their batch of youngsters better and expecting way more improvement for them as a team than you guys.
I tend to think your scope for more improvement is limited and you had a great season last year but not sure you can climb much higher than a few more spots before the decline of Nick Roo and Montagna from just generally getting older is needed to be overcome. I like Billings, Gresham, Lonie and one or two other youngsters but Melbourne seem to have about a dozen classy youngsters coming through together whilst you seem to have less of them to help go further.

Beating Geelong is the big one for me.

They spanked us the first time we played them at Etihad last year and then they kicked away in the second half at Kardinia Park in round 19 when we played them again. We were in that match up to our eyeballs too, but lost both Libba and Macrae to injury during the game and the cats got away after that.

Seems like it's years since we've beaten the Cats.

Not everything is about us which is absolutely correct, but we are the reigning premiers and become the hunted this year.

Do you genuinely believe your club believes a match against a mediocre Pies outfit matters more than a rematch of last years prelim?
Absolutely

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think their might be a bit of a psychological advantage brewing. GWS had a nice lead,at home,with a spot in the GF almost there,and some could say they choked. This can play on clubs minds,we suffered from it after choking against Adelaide in 97.
The way GWS played could also haunt them. Totally lost focus and worried about the tuff image rather than tuff or skilful football,they really made some big phychological errors in the way they went about the Prelim. I'd think they'd be keen to try and put some of these demons to bed against the dogs before finals.
I think a win against the Eagles will be good for the young club because you have never beaten them more so than actually important in respects to the season.
This thread was never about the PF. It was about 2017 matchups. The Bulldogs are ticked off out list WC and the Pies aren't. It's really that simple, with WC we have the added challenge of going to Perth to play them.

You want a rivalry with their yours, seriously.

So it was against forum rules to nominate the Bulldogs rather than the usual suspects like the Hawks and Giants? I could nominate the Giants, but I'd rather not acknowledge them until they actually earn a HOME final. Makes sense.

:)

So it was against forum rules to nominate the Bulldogs rather than the usual suspects like the Hawks and Giants? I could nominate the Giants, but I'd rather not acknowledge them until they actually earn a HOME final. Makes sense.

A Swan talking about earning hahahahaha wonders will never cease.

Freo vs The Law (based on our offseason)

Freo vs The Umpires (this is a regular one)

I think these are our big matchups this year. We treat every team equally

This thread was never about the PF. It was about 2017 matchups. The Bulldogs are ticked off out list WC and the Pies aren't. It's really that simple, with WC we have the added challenge of going to Perth to play them.
Do you think the clubs view will be to tick of the teams it hasn't beaten or to win the premiership.
I wasn't making it about the PF in a avenge the loss type way. As I explained in a previous post,it was the way GWS lost. Some really poor things took place in the heads of the GWS players that are far more than just footballing skill.
GWS can tick off every club it likes,but if it can't lose the arrogance,childishness,mental softness or whatever it was that cost them that Prelim they are never going to win a flag. I think ticking some of these weaknesses away will be far more important to the club,and the best place to start with this will be against the dogs,the team that appeared to bring out these fragile weaknesses in the Giants.
Maybe I'm thinking to big picture and beating individual clubs for the first time is more important than I'm acknowledging.

How did you get that from my post? I meant what I said, you can have them.

Looking forward to Round 2 versus the Swannies. Both teams will hopefully be close to full strength and both lists pride themselves on tough uncompromising attack on the man & ball.
Round 9 versus Geelong will be an easy second. It's been ages since we beat the Catters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did you get that from my post? I meant what I said, you can have them.

Grand Final rematches I look forward to the most each season. For me, I just want to avenge the Grand Final loss. I could nominate Hawthorn, but that would be boring. :)

Do you think the clubs view will be to tick of the teams it hasn't beaten or to win the premiership.
I wasn't making it about the PF in a avenge the loss type way. As I explained in a previous post,it was the way GWS lost. Some really poor things took place in the heads of the GWS players that are far more than just footballing skill.
GWS can tick off every club it likes,but if it can't lose the arrogance,childishness,mental softness or whatever it was that cost them that Prelim they are never going to win a flag. I think ticking some of these weaknesses away will be far more important to the club,and the best place to start with this will be against the dogs,the team that appeared to bring out these fragile weaknesses in the Giants.
Maybe I'm thinking to big picture and beating individual clubs for the first time is more important than I'm acknowledging.
The way you talk makes the PF sound like a drubbing.

1 goal win dude. Settle.

Beating the dogs is no more important than any other side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back