What is the matchup that matters most to your club next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

End of the day it's their call. I think we made some hard decisions trading last year to prepare. Think we'll fight tooth and nail for Shiel but statistically unlikely we'll keep them all. Marchbank was a real loss last year, but his call.

Your club is realistic about it. They actually knew they could not keep every talented player they would like. Simple case of salary cap only lets you keep so much in modern times where all clubs take it seriously (hello John Elliott).
Marchbank is talented as are a few more you let go when push came to shove. But guys like Hopper have to be found space to fit under cap in 2018 and it will be bloody tight. If his management ask for a lot and he gets keen on another club it will gets interesting. Challenge is you sign up a young gun like Hopper and someone like Dylan Shiel can get a better offer somewhere else, anything could happen. That will be interesting to watch. Maybe you keep both of them but someone else good comes free as a result. One thing is clear, the list GWS have right now is as good as it gets in terms of talent to keep under a cap. If I am right they even went with less on primary list to fit more of what they already have. Very keenly watching the space all year as it only gets tighter at end of 2017.

If you finish in the bottom 8 whwn teams win flag you generally wont have a problem. Its more when you are up there and get knocked off on your home turf when up by 14 points in the last quarter and it feels like an away game. Thats when the problem begins
No actually my experience was they took the round 6 game generally with class. It would have been unsettling for them. I notice less of the resentment of our existence, and when it is expressed it's generally in a civilised way.
None of the trolling we got after our H/A game with you guys, that escalated to absurd levels after the PF.
They have a born to rule attitude but their club delivers.

Last edited:
You just dont have the capacity do you?
Your trolling the main board and constantly trying to derail the thread with offensive rubbish.

My post was entirely on topic, despite your wailing.

Maybe I'm wrong and you're right and Callan and the boys have been ruing that Natainui goal in Rd 21 all summer and not the game where they missed out on a grand final by a goal.

It runs counter to everything I've ever heard footballers say while following for the last 25 years, but maybe I'm out of touch and the fresh opinion of someone who has followed the AFL for 5 years or so is more in line with players thinking today.

Except the thread question is based on our opinion.

Doesnt say anything about what our players think.

I would say they think every game is important.

Yep. They only want to beat the dogs next year. **** the other 16 clubs

Arrogance. All over not being picked as the one we want to win the most..

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

You keep saying that every game is equally important - in a thread specifically to discuss which game is the most important. For the same reason, your comment about the "other 16 clubs" is redundant in this thread.

Not sure why you keep posting when your opinion is clearly that the thread premise is meritless and doesn't apply to your club. You should probably just move on to a thread you don't think is pointless.

Maybe I'm wrong and you're right and Callan and the boys have been ruing that Natainui goal in Rd 21 all summer and not the game where they missed out on a grand final by a goal.

It runs counter to everything I've ever heard footballers say while following for the last 25 years, but maybe I'm out of touch and the fresh opinion of someone who has followed the AFL for 5 years or so is more in line with players thinking today.

You keep saying that every game is equally important - in a thread specifically to discuss which game is the most important. For the same reason, your comment about the "other 16 clubs" is redundant in this thread.

Not sure why you keep posting when your opinion is clearly that the thread premise is meritless and doesn't apply to your club. You should probably just move on to a thread you don't think is pointless.
It wasn't on topic. The OP invited supporters to nominate matchups as I did. All you've done is be outraged that no-one from GWS nominated you. Thats the height of arrogance and an attempt to derail the thread. Can you identify a post where you nominated a matchup for the Bulldogs? Some of your posters have and that's entirely appropriate.

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

It wasn't on topic. The OP invited supporters to nominate matchups as I did. All you've done is be outraged that no-one from GWS nominated you. Thats the height of arrogance and an attempt to derail the thread. Can you identify a post where you nominated a matchup for the Bulldogs? Some of your posters have and that's entirely appropriate.

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Must have missed this while accusing every Dogs supporter that dares post in this thread a troll:

Rd 2 against the Swans. Unveil the premiership flag before the grand final rematch. Our away wins against Sydney have been our defining H&A wins the past 2 years. Rd 2 may be a microcosm of our season.

You're protesting far too hard. The Dogs v GWS game will be one of the biggest for the AFL for the year but you've actually said a game against a Collingwood team that didn't even play finals is more important to your club. It's all very transparent and amusing.

Your club is realistic about it. They actually knew they could not keep every talented player they would like. Simple case of salary cap only lets you keep so much in modern times where all clubs take it seriously (hello John Elliott).
Marchbank is talented as are a few more you let go when push came to shove. But guys like Hopper have to be found space to fit under cap in 2018 and it will be bloody tight. If his management ask for a lot and he gets keen on another club it will gets interesting. Challenge is you sign up a young gun like Hopper and someone like Dylan Shiel can get a better offer somewhere else, anything could happen. That will be interesting to watch. Maybe you keep both of them but someone else good comes free as a result. One thing is clear, the list GWS have right now is as good as it gets in terms of talent to keep under a cap. If I am right they even went with less on primary list to fit more of what they already have. Very keenly watching the space all year as it only gets tighter at end of 2017.
Agree with what you said, and the cap will be a real challenge. I think Shiel may be more value to us from a marketing point of view, and we'll dig very deep to keep him. It's very obvious Jezza and Dylan are the guys loved by the kids at our games. That matters to us as we try to build support.
Just my opinion the club list managers are going to keep their cards close to their chest.

Yep, Geelong has had the stick over us. Every other team I feel confident that we will win when game day rolls around (despite obviously losing a nimber of those matches). With Geelong I'm always pessimistic.
Enright won't be there to kick it to this year though... Last year you blokes kept picking him out when going inside 50.

Read the thread title. Its all our opinion. Not what the players think.

My opinion was i don't want to beat the dogs the most. Get over it stop sooking its not you and move on.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Mines Round 1 against the pies with hopefully Travis playing against his old side and round two finally playing the Swans at Etihad for once

Would love to win Anzac Day for a change. Sick of flying down from Queensland to see us get belted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grand Final rematches I look forward to the most each season. For me, I just want to avenge the Grand Final loss. I could nominate Hawthorn, but that would be boring. :)

A win in a home and away match does not avenge a GF loss. No doubt it will feel sweet though, and be important in the context of your season by defeating a finals contender away and instilling belief in your playing group. But if you seek to avenge the GF defeat, then you need to either beat us in the GF or at least knock us out in the finals on your way to a GF win. Anything else falls short.

In terms of my answer to the OP, it would probably be the R2 match against the Swans as well. We've got a tough start to the season, so it will be important to set the tone early and nothing does that more than winning the GF rematch by defeating another premiership contender. I think it could really set up our season and shake any prospect of a hangover.

Other than that, it would be nice to notch up wins against fellow finals contender sides like Geelong (it feels like it has been forever) and GWS (there is a bit of feeling there, looking forward to a cracker of a match).

Its tempting to say Geelong and Sydney as they have been our 'rivals' over the last few years and in some respects they are a good yardstick given that both the Cats and the Swans have been relatively successful at continuing to regenerate their lists (which is what we are trying to do right now).

BUT of course most teams have GWS and the Dogs on their radar as the teams to beat and I strongly expect that Clarko has a GWS/Doggies dartboard in his mind when planning his next game plan - particularly the Doggies.

If Bigfooty was reality (and it so isn't) then the Bombers would be our big matchup given how much attention Hawthorn seems to be getting from Bomber posters at the moment. Not so sure what that's about.......I expect its because it has been an extraordinarily long pre-season for the Bombers (starting in August 2015).

But who the hell knows. There are heaps of teams who could go up a notch this year - St Kilda, Melbourne, Collingwood for example.

Soooooo looking forward to footy no matter what to be honest. Even if all the anti-Hawthorn trollers get their wish and Hawthorn nose dive into oblivion (and they won't) I reckon this year's season is going to kick ass.

2006 IIRC
Round 21 in 2009 actually. It doesn't help that you guys play the Cats only once this year to break your hoodoo and to make it even harder its in Geelong as well. We still have a couple of hoodoos to get rid of in particular the Saints and the Kangaroos who we haven't beaten since 2006 but we have a pretty good chance of rectifying that as we play both of these teams twice this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back