What is The perfect A-Leagues?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Ok the season is almost year and I’m annoyed at waiting.
If you were head of the A-Leagues men what would it entail?
Number of clubs? Finals? Caps? Relegation/promotion?

For me.

16 team comp.
Current teams plus Canberra & Wollongong to bring to 14 in 22/23.

- from there promotion top 1 from the “Supposed it can work” NSL (National Second League) in 23/24 & 24/25

- from 25/26 on we have relegation of the bottom team.
Would also be happy with a home and away playoff between ALeague last and NSL 1st to see who is in.

- We keep a top 6 finals and Grand Final. This means every game matters.

- Top teams batting it out for 1st place, the next battling for finals and the last group battling to stay out of relegation.

- Finals, after the knockouts with the lowest contender, become home and away.

- Grand Final highestplaced qualifie

- If we are going to keep the cap, which I’m against, then it should only be for Australian Players. Also as an olive branch to Asia our O/S quota is the same as the ACL of a 3+.

Gonna include all leagues in the title not just the men's General Giant

The ultimate aim for the men's should be 16 teams, A top eight finals series similar to the AFL/NRL competitions.
with Some form of promotion/relegation whether via a second division or an NPL division.

ACL I don't really care prefer champions/premiers 2+1 would be ideal but meh.. it keeps changing so not up to us.

I would also like a 16 team A-League women's league maybe not as long a season but at least some number of league teams as the men's
Also a fully integrated Youth league is a must running concurrent with the men's for development.

Last edited:
Perfect for me is a 16 team Australian Premier League with a 10 team APL 1.

APL:

WUFC (Playing out of Wyndham Stadium)
Sth East Melb City (playing out of Dandenong)
MVFC
Adelaide Utd
Perth Glory
Wellington Phoenix
Auckland City FC
Canberra FC
Sydney FC
Macarthur FC
WSW
CC Mariners
Newcastle Jets
Goldcoast Galaxy FC
Brisbane Roar FC
Wollongong Wolves FC

30 game season playing every team H&A.

APL 1

Tassie Devils FC
Adelaide City FC
Nth Queensland FC
Ipswich Utd FC
Sth Melbourne FC
Nth Geelong FC
Sydney Olympic FC
Melbourne Knights FC
Sydney Utd FC
Marconi Stallions FC

27 game season playing each team 3 times.

Top of APL 1 plays bottom of APL over 2 legs each season for a place in APL. Stadium requirements to be met for entry into APL.

So I'll go 16 teams in first grade also, with all having a men's and women's side (requirment for both div 1 and div 2 teams) with the seasons to run run with a month or so lag to allow for air between grand finals. Promotion and relegation for men's, but not for women's in the first 2 years. No salary cap but luxury cap and salary floor, each team will be required to only have 4 internationals (not including ofc countries) and 2 additional internationals from afc countries. All games in the top 2 divisions on Paramount plus, with 3 games a week from each division on channel 10 in prime. One game of npl will be on 10 with the rest on YouTube.

Teams (I like the idea of Zidane98)
WUFC (Playing out of Wyndham Stadium)
Sth East Melb City (playing out of Dandenong)
MVFC
Adelaide Utd
Perth Glory
Wellington Phoenix
Auckland City FC
Canberra FC
Sydney FC
Macarthur FC
WSW
CC Mariners
Newcastle Jets
NQ FC
Brisbane Roar FC
Wollongong Wolves FC

The championship top 2 teams from each npl competition plus 2 teams in nt, this will be a home and away schedule. This will be a home and away structure. Going by 2019 (due to covid) these would be:
Canberra Olympic
Tigers fc
Apia
Blacktown
Maitland
Lambton
Lions
Gold Coast
Campletown
Adelaide comets
Devenport
Olympia
Heidelberg
Oakleigh
Perth
Inglewood

Npl will continue in its current formats with a finals series to decide who is promoted to the championship with the premiers of the post season to be promoted (replacing wooden spooners of championship) with the runners up to play the second bottom place in the championship in home and away fixture. Atleast one team must represent each npl league in the championship with the champions of the relevant league to replace any relegated team if required; the aleague sides will be assigned a npl league (but this will not be known until after the npl post season)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back