What is the Point of Finshers.......

TradeDraft

Premium Gold
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thread starter #1
Been watching Wrestling bit Lately and I have Noticed that Wrestlers Kick out of Other Wrestlers Finishers quite often.

So I been thinking why have Finishers when the Kick out of them at least Once in a Match?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NotAMagpieBogan

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Collingwood
‘Finishers’ have been mainly replaced by ‘signatures’. The only real ‘finishers’ nowadays are the Coup De Grace, Curb Stomp, F5 (until Roman kicks at out at WM), and a few more.

The Sim Dog

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Trailblazers and Storm
The point of finishers is to finish the match. This concept however seems to be alien to the geniuses at WWE.
In fairness to them, most Indies and even NJPW can be worse these days for 'over finished' matches or times where guys have thrown not only the kitchen sink at each other but the entire freaking restaurant just for the sake of it.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Filthy Sanchez

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
The point of finishers is to finish the match. This concept however seems to be alien to the geniuses at WWE.
WWE didn’t start this trend. They’re just following what smarks think is a great match to satisfy them.

It’s the same reason why we don’t get storylines anymore. “OMG this is a dream match up! What star rating will they get?” Is enough to get the hardcore fans hooked these days.

Nugett

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It’s been happening for ages. Hulk Hogan would kick out of finishers quite often in 80’s. Only to Hulk up and deliver the running leg drop. Stone cold, HHH, The Rock, HBK were others that would kick out of each other’s finishers.
So not a new concept, but definitely over done. Also remember the Warrior kicking out of the pedigree before the ref could count to 1. The best finishing moves are the submission moves. Ie Angle/shamrock ankle lock, Benoit crossface, Bret Hart and Owen Hart/Sting sharpshooter/scorpion deathlock, iron sheiks camel clutch and Flair/valentine figure four. With the series of matches between Angle and Benoit, one of their matches I think in a 2 minute chain, they executed about 6 submission moves on each other. The reversals were quite realistic which made it quite enjoyable to watch. A lot better than the rolling on your stomach in the figure four!

Cleavy

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
But for the most part, you can still lay around in a submission (like an armbar) forever, where if it was more realistic you would have tapped or been severely injured.

Dirty Bird

Pokémon Master
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
#BostonStrong #RiseUp
It is more common these days

Remember back to wrestlemania x-seven
Around that time, a finisher actually finished a match.
Then rock and scsa kicked out of a few finishes
Popular match
Now wwe is trying to emulate it.

I could tolerate it if it was kept to the 3rd ppv matchup of a huge rivalry
But anything else.
Just reeks of wwe trying to emulate what worked once.

But by doing it too often, it ruins matches I find.

I wouldn’t mind the occasional match where it was won off a signature move instead.
Make the matches more unpredictable!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Strikers, BMS Goats
Like most have said, a few amazing matches did it, then a few more, then a few more, until it's standard. Nowadays a big match isn't over until 3 finishers have been done.

Watching the mid-late 90s era Raws and PPVs on the Network, not only were finishers a bit more protected, but you also saw a lot more opportunistic wins. Stuff like wins with roll ups or signature moves or whatever. It's annoying now watching a current WrestleMania main event and you know not to get excited about the first 2 finishers each because they're irrelevant.

SS3840

Debutant
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Calgary Flames, Toronto Raptors
I am old here, the point of kicking out of finishers, was to show how desperate you were not to lose. Watch Wrestlemania.. Reigns v. Lesnar, I hate both, but they will kick out of each others finisher.. Or Lesnar will go back to UFC, sooking, like he did at Wrestlemania 2004 against Goldberg, not that Bergy was much better

AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea
Moderator #15
watch new japan okada vs naito had like 5 destino's that okada kicked out and a shit load of rain makers
They built a story out of it I guess though with Omega. The Rainmaker can be hit very easily but it's not very impactful unless he gets the full ripcord, whereas if Omega hit the One Winged Angel, it was done.

Same deal with the Destino I guess.

Cleavy

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
we never worried about it when we were kids and the Warrior kicked out of 5 Macho Man top rope elbowdrops.

Brick Loosener

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Richmond
I am old here, the point of kicking out of finishers, was to show how desperate you were not to lose. Watch Wrestlemania.. Reigns v. Lesnar, I hate both, but they will kick out of each others finisher.. Or Lesnar will go back to UFC, sooking, like he did at Wrestlemania 2004 against Goldberg, not that Bergy was much better
You'll understand Roman beating Brock then as you've seen it before.

Top Bottom