What is the Point of Finshers.......

Remove this Banner Ad

Been watching Wrestling bit Lately and I have Noticed that Wrestlers Kick out of Other Wrestlers Finishers quite often.

So I been thinking why have Finishers when the Kick out of them at least Once in a Match?

The point of finishers is to finish the match. This concept however seems to be alien to the geniuses at WWE.
In fairness to them, most Indies and even NJPW can be worse these days for 'over finished' matches or times where guys have thrown not only the kitchen sink at each other but the entire freaking restaurant just for the sake of it.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

The point of finishers is to finish the match. This concept however seems to be alien to the geniuses at WWE.

WWE didn’t start this trend. They’re just following what smarks think is a great match to satisfy them.

It’s the same reason why we don’t get storylines anymore. “OMG this is a dream match up! What star rating will they get?” Is enough to get the hardcore fans hooked these days.

It’s been happening for ages. Hulk Hogan would kick out of finishers quite often in 80’s. Only to Hulk up and deliver the running leg drop. Stone cold, HHH, The Rock, HBK were others that would kick out of each other’s finishers.
So not a new concept, but definitely over done. Also remember the Warrior kicking out of the pedigree before the ref could count to 1. The best finishing moves are the submission moves. Ie Angle/shamrock ankle lock, Benoit crossface, Bret Hart and Owen Hart/Sting sharpshooter/scorpion deathlock, iron sheiks camel clutch and Flair/valentine figure four. With the series of matches between Angle and Benoit, one of their matches I think in a 2 minute chain, they executed about 6 submission moves on each other. The reversals were quite realistic which made it quite enjoyable to watch. A lot better than the rolling on your stomach in the figure four!

It is more common these days

Remember back to wrestlemania x-seven
Around that time, a finisher actually finished a match.
Then rock and scsa kicked out of a few finishes
Popular match
Now wwe is trying to emulate it.

I could tolerate it if it was kept to the 3rd ppv matchup of a huge rivalry
But anything else.
Just reeks of wwe trying to emulate what worked once.

But by doing it too often, it ruins matches I find.

I wouldn’t mind the occasional match where it was won off a signature move instead.
Make the matches more unpredictable!

watch new japan okada vs naito had like 5 destino's that okada kicked out and a s**t load of rain makers

Like most have said, a few amazing matches did it, then a few more, then a few more, until it's standard. Nowadays a big match isn't over until 3 finishers have been done.

Watching the mid-late 90s era Raws and PPVs on the Network, not only were finishers a bit more protected, but you also saw a lot more opportunistic wins. Stuff like wins with roll ups or signature moves or whatever. It's annoying now watching a current WrestleMania main event and you know not to get excited about the first 2 finishers each because they're irrelevant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am old here, the point of kicking out of finishers, was to show how desperate you were not to lose. Watch Wrestlemania.. Reigns v. Lesnar, I hate both, but they will kick out of each others finisher.. Or Lesnar will go back to UFC, sooking, like he did at Wrestlemania 2004 against Goldberg, not that Bergy was much better

watch new japan okada vs naito had like 5 destino's that okada kicked out and a s**t load of rain makers
They built a story out of it I guess though with Omega. The Rainmaker can be hit very easily but it's not very impactful unless he gets the full ripcord, whereas if Omega hit the One Winged Angel, it was done.

Same deal with the Destino I guess.

we never worried about it when we were kids and the Warrior kicked out of 5 Macho Man top rope elbowdrops.

Though that would barley happened Before and After that.

It was part of the Story

I am old here, the point of kicking out of finishers, was to show how desperate you were not to lose. Watch Wrestlemania.. Reigns v. Lesnar, I hate both, but they will kick out of each others finisher.. Or Lesnar will go back to UFC, sooking, like he did at Wrestlemania 2004 against Goldberg, not that Bergy was much better

You'll understand Roman beating Brock then as you've seen it before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back