What is the problem with Kaiden Brand?

Remove this Banner Ad

Need to remember both Frawley (140 games at Demons) and Lake (200 games at Western) had a heap of experience BEFORE they even landed at Hawthorn. Put another 50 matches into Brand and I bet he would find his way around the team defense a hell of a lot better!!

I thought he did well most weeks when he played last year - abit of mongrel defending his team mates, and ball use solid for someone his size. There were a few quarters he looked vulnerable/isolated, and it is true at times we have seen him panic and grab jumpers. But he has shown enough to suggest he can get over that.

Clarkson pioneered the team defence that all 17 other clubs have now copied.

Therefore, when you're looking at how a particular defender plays, you need to take into account how he's operating in the context of his teammates around him.

If he's playing his role in the team, then he'll get selected; if he's not, and he's weakening the team defence Clarkson wants and requiring other players to cover for him, then he'll not get selected.

I think it's fair to say that while Brand is probably of an acceptable standard in one v one defending, he isn't quite the necessary standard to play in Clarkson's team defence when he's too similar to an older and more experienced player (Frawley).

Was waiting for this thread. Last time we played NM, Ben Brown absolutely pantsed Kaiden Brand. He didn't neutralise a single contest. It was no shock to me that he didn't get the call up. Needs to improve his one-on-one work, because his size is the only thing which sets him apart from other young defenders who can use the ball better than he does.

I would like to see Conor Nash who is of similar size but has more speed. Albeit don't know how he would go in a one on one contest, hopefully well and there is our tall defender of the future. I haven't written off Brand but we need to see more composure soon otherwise he won't work.

Therefore, when you're looking at how a particular defender plays, you need to take into account how he's operating in the context of his teammates around him.

If he's playing his role in the team, then he'll get selected; if he's not, and he's weakening the team defence Clarkson wants and requiring other players to cover for him, then he'll not get selected.

I think it's fair to say that while Brand is probably of an acceptable standard in one v one defending, he isn't quite the necessary standard to play in Clarkson's team defence when he's too similar to an older and more experienced player (Frawley).
You're right except for one exception. Sam Mitchell

You're right except for one exception. Sam Mitchell
so Steve Tyler's comment 18 months ago after talking to Burgoyne about there being frustration with the role Sammy was playing vs what he was asked to do has some legs?

Best post I have read on Brand. Spot on.

I am surprised that with Brand struggling a bit, they are not playing Nash down back at BHH to see if he can become our next key defender.

Maybe they are playing him up forward to learn the art of a forward more, so he is more natural at reading the play as a defender...

I am surprised that with Brand struggling a bit, they are not playing Nash down back at BHH to see if he can become our next key defender.

Maybe they are playing him up forward to learn the art of a forward more, so he is more natural at reading the play as a defender...
Nahh they want to be able to use Nash's athletic ability and the best way to do that is to play him as a forward where he can be part of our attacking transition. Most forwards these days run 2/3rd of the field

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just think he lacks a bit of confidence at the level. Have seen glimpses of his potential. Has shown he can be composed and make good decisions and dispose cleanly. But other times looks a bit dear in the headlight. I think you see a better player with more games and confidence he can perform a the level.
The tools are there......just needs extra games and belief in his own ability.

Is he out of contract this year? Frawley signed on for 2019.

Do we want to be trading him? Would have thought not, unless we think we have someone else in the wings. Whoever that could be, he isn't at BHH

Brand is contracted to the end of 2018.

I have no doubt about Brand's future under Clarkson. Brand has more than proved himself.

I think Clarkson is starting to become very skeptical about the role of talls in the modern game, and thus is reluctant to select too many.

A year later, same situation. .

already overlooked when he would have been considered a logical replacement for Frawley the other week.

Apparently took 18 marks and had 26 disposals today in the VFL. Probably need 36 and 52 to get a recall.

A year later, same situation. .

already overlooked when he would have been considered a logical replacement for Frawley the other week.

Apparently took 18 marks and had 26 disposals today in the VFL. Probably need 36 and 52 to get a recall.
Was given a chance at afl. He had some mixed performances. He gave up his spot to O’Brien who has been good.

Was given a chance at afl. He had some mixed performances. He gave up his spot to O’Brien who has been good.
They don’t show very much patience with him it seems. One poor game and his out. When Frawley didn’t get up the other week, Moore got the call up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back