What is the prognosis for Geelong now with them having ASD?

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Bradbury their way into the 4 and get found out in finals, as per the routine. Ablett is a gun but an ageing gun. Their forward and back lines are nothing to write home about, and (like the Crows) when Geelong have an off day they're really off.

This is pretty much a fair assessment, especially the off day part. It really says more about the competition that Geelong is still able to finish top 4 after being in the finals for 12 of the past 14 years. Think it changed our approach when Danger fell into our lap, to focus on topping up and trying to win now. Ablett just enforces this even more.

Kicked the second highest amount of goals last year (I believe) , and our backline was at its best against the swans when Lonergan was out, moved the ball a lot quicker. He will still be missed however.

Ablett is quite capable of running around as an elite for the next three seasons. I think no one will know for sure until we see him come out of a pre - season with Geelong. I am skeptical about the seriousness of his injuries and believe that he will play 20 games each year for the next three years! This puts him in Brownlow contention, who is going to stop him? He's still one of the top 10 players in the competition, he will be fired up and have renewed motivation. Up forward he is capable of kicking 50 goals and then another 50 will come with assists? It depends on how Geelong use him at his age and whether or not his body can hold up? I suspect they already know this and there is no doubt he will be a menace in the forward line. The backline will be fine, Ablett is there to kick goals and create further opportunities for those around him (Hawkins?) McCarthy and Gregson are two very good smaller forwards who were missing most of the year. It could be their time. Prognosis middle 8 and that still means finals depending on how many games they get at the cattery. No top 4 in 2018, but i reckon 6th -8th.
Best team: ?
B: Kolodjashnij, Henderson, Bews
HB: Touhy, Taylor, Stewart
C: Duncan, S. Selwood, C. Guthrie
FOL: J. Selwood, Smith, Menegola
HF: Cockatoo, Hawkins, McCarthy
F: Menzel, Dangerfield, Ablett
INT: Parfitt, Thurlow, Blicavs, Parsons

Em. Buzza, Gardner, Jones

Last edited:
They will have a very impressive midfield group. A lot will depend on how many games they get out of Ablett and when those games are. He obviously won't play every game but if he is fully fit in September then he can definitely be the difference between losing in a preliminary final and winning a premiership.

When he was on the park last season there was only two midfielders who were clearly better than him - Dangerfield and Martin. He will naturally regress next season but for the first time since 2010 he will be playing in games that matter and I believe that will motivate him to have a great season.

At Ablett's age surely they would use him as a forward

He will naturally spend time up forward but he is still an excellent midfielder. Coming off 33 disposals a game and leading the league in clearances. The main advantage it that will allow one of Dangerfield and Ablett to regularly rotate forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting called a 3 man team all year long... instead of a 2 man team..

19 more trade periods and we'll be at 22....:D

GO Catters

They can't escape the fagavs syndrome
Finals
At
G.
Against
Vic
Sides.

That's the thing- sometimes you get lucky with your opponent. In 2016 the Giants qualified 4th, but played a home final.
A series of VIC premiers have played non VIC teams in the granny who have choked. Sometimes the cards fall your way.

No Motlop no Geelong

Should have trade a duds like porkins
english-fail.gif

We need a few depth players to come out and have career-defining years. I think our backline and mids are fine, but need a few to offer run and carry and a few more to offer forward pressure and support.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back