What is the smallest AFL crowd you were a part of?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not AFL, but this was a particularly small attendance.

Just 1 person in the crowd.

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com%2Fpsh-ex-ftnikkei-3937bb4%2Fimages%2F2%2F9%2F2%2F9%2F23029292-2-eng-GB%2FCropped-1571138850AP_19288353609102.jpg

I went to Fitzroy vs. Sydney Swans in Round 19 1995 at the Western Oval, attended by a crowd of just 7426. I'm not sure if the crowd number includes Fitzroy and Sydney players and officials, umpires and ground staff.

Despite the small crowd, the game is memorable as Swan Tony Lockett kicked 16 goals and the Swans won over the Lions by 126-points, 27.8-170 to 6.8-44. Fitzroy coach Bernie Quinlan was sacked after the result.

Didn't notice it at the time but round 4 2013 game home match against the bulldogs had an attendance of 24,684. 2nd lowest home crowd ever.

Didn't notice it at the time but round 4 2013 game home match against the bulldogs had an attendance of 24,684. 2nd lowest home crowd ever.

It was wet and Tex still had his mullet

I remember as it was the first game of footy my then partner watched and she was instantly smitten by Tex's hairdo

2008, North v West Coast @ the oldCarrara Stadium in pouring rain.
North won what was a pretty entertaining match 88-82.
About 6,000 in the crowd that night.

Swans games in the early 1990s were 10k to 12k sometimes.

GWS games they claim were 12k but the stadium holds 25k and routinely is 1/4 full.
Nope they were about 7-9k most games in 1992-1994 years. Quick look, each year there more games with less than 10k crowds than 10k+ crowd games. I got to Sydney in May 1992, first game I wet to v Hawks was 12.2k, but things dropped away until Lockett and Roos turned up in 1995, and only one game that year had less than 10k.

I was at these 2 games - 1994 R16 v Bears 5,728 and Rd 20 v Fitzroy 6,513.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope they were about 7-9k most games in 1992-1994 years. Quick look, each year there more games with less than 10k crowds than 10k+ crowd games. I got Sydney in May 1992 first gave v Hawks was 12.2k but things droped away until Lockett and Roos turned up in 1995 and only one game had less than 10k.

I was at these 2 games - 1994 R16 v Bears 5,728 and Rd 20 v Fitzroy 6,513.

The games I went to the CBD and Moore Park area would crumble if more than 12k went to the SCG.

As a Tigers fan, I didn't see a lot of the really low-attendance games. But in the 80s and 90s I became a bit of a football nomad and went to quite a few neutral games (well, there wasn't much point watching Richmond then). Saw Adelaide vs St Kilda at Waverley one day - ended in a draw, and there was as many Adelaide people there on a bus trip as Saints fans. I see the official attendance was 13,686 but they must have counted the pie-sellers, car park attendandants and the kids playing little league. Looked terrible in a 75K seat stadium.

totally from memory, but what I remember is 4664 (or 6446?) at the MCG Richmond vs Brisbane Bears in 1989 or so.... and I remember this being reported as the lowest post-war crowd for the MCG on record. It was a night game, it was cold and raining, we lost. I travelled up from Gippsland for it. It was a miserable miserable experience....but I kinda cherish it in terms of what we survived and rewards for maintaining the faith.

Hawthorn vs Fitzroy 1996 at the Western Oval - 10,239. I was sure I'd been at smaller crowds in the early 80s but research suggests this is my winner. Had a great day - the cans went down very well and I got the courage up that night to ask a woman out who I'd been getting friendly with. Still married to her.

10,826 for this game between Freo and Port at the WACA. It was raining Datsun cogs all day and all night - my friend who booked the tickets said "No worries, we're in the Lillee-Marsh Stand", but it turned out we were in the open air in front of the stand. The plastic bucket seats filled up very quickly - we couldn't have gotten more saturated if we'd been chucked in the Indian Ocean. To add to the pain Freo were well ahead all night despite a few last quarter consolation goals for Port.

The only 'highlight' of the night was that my friend got to touch Gavin Wanganeen (who was out injured) as we were squelching our way out of the place after the game.

IIRC after so many years, there was a pre-season game between the Brisbane Bears and the Fremantle Dockers in either 1995 or 1996 that was played at Waverley Park of all places, with just 90 people attending. Can anyone confirm this?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back