What is the smallest AFL crowd you were a part of?

Remove this Banner Ad

Late 80s at the G you could pretty much sit where you wanted at many Richmond games- bar the members. These were the days they didn’t close of levels or sections.There was a game against West Coast at the G there where I reckon there had to be less than 10k there. That season remember sitting behind the Richmond goals every quarter. In retrospect, would have seen more of the action doing the opposite.

That Richmond West Coast game was probably 1987, 8,900 attendance.
Me and a mate walked in there during the last quarter and i could immediately pick out my family sitting in the Richmond members area. Even with Richmond winning the great stadium was so quiet.

That Richmond West Coast game was probably 1987, 8,900 attendance.
Me and a mate walked in there during the last quarter and i could immediately pick out my family sitting in the Richmond members area. Even with Richmond winning the great stadium was so quiet.
Yeah those late 80s games all blur into each other to be honest. Remember spending lots of time kicking the footy inside the stands with my cousins. No danger of any bystanders getting in the way.

Statistics tell me the 2016 Freo v Melb game in Darwin. s**t game deserved a stadium with a low capacity like that anyway.

Can remember some really small crowds sub 10000 against Footscray and Fitzroy in the 60's. Mainly because you could hear yappa Ted Whitten and Kevin Murray shouting and swearing instruction to their players during the game. Specifically remember Doug Wade telling Bill Ryan to get the * out of my area when he was leading for the ball.

Regular season game I believe was 7863 for a 2014 game at Manuka Oval between GWS and the Bulldogs. Remember giving it to Jeremy Cameron because he got a waterboy to tie his shoelaces. The next day I ran a 4:19 marathon after suffering a nasty cramp in the hamstrings with 10km to go.

Surprisingly most of the regular season games at Carrara I've been to have been around 8-9000, none of our home Cairns crowds were below 8500 and the lowest Darwin crowd I've sat in was 8724. Certain I've been to lower crowds for pre-season games at Carrara (would have been less than 1000 in the ground for a Thursday late afternoon game there in about 2018 between GC and Dogs) and Wangaratta (wouldn't have fit much more than a few thousand in the ground with just about every vantage spot taken for a Richmond vs Essendon game the same year).

Last edited:
Can remember some really small crowds sub 10000 against Footscray and Fitzroy in the 60's. Mainly because you could hear yappa Ted Whitten and Kevin Murray shouting and swearing instruction to their players during the game. Specifically remember Doug Wade telling Bill Ryan to get the fu** out of my area when he was leading for the ball.

Similarly, I often went with Dad to Glenferrie Oval in the mid 70's, sometimes there was probably only 7 or 8000 there. I recall one time thinking there were as many people outside of ground watching...

Melbourne v Adelaide R5 2009 @ MCG

Melbourne kicked one goal til 3/4 time and were still a chance to win halfway through the last

terrible game, terrible crowd, terrible atmosphere

Yep this was my pick as well - was wet and freezing Sunday twilight at the G

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatever last night's attendance was
I was there too. Apparently 1311 was the official figure. Despite the result it was cool to be at such a unique game.

I’ve followed the Swans since 1969 so have Erin through som pretty bleak periods. The lowest crowd I was at was in 1972 Round 17 at Arden Street South v North. South were in the middle of a 29 game losing streak. North were in the middle of a 17 game losing streak. North won their only game for the year by 9 points. The crowd was 7191. North supporters were delirious. They then went on to lose the last five games by 48, 45, 89, 33, and 51 points.
The lowest crowd in Sydney I attended was the Round 20 game against Fitzroy in 1993. This was 8214. This was the season sacked Gary Buckenara as coach (quite rightly) and installed Ron Barrassi.
I was one of the 7426 at the Western Oval to see Sydney beat Fitzroy by 126 points. Watched Tony Lockett kick 16.0. He kicked those goals on a windy day from all angles and distances.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back