What is the worst game you have ever watched?

Remove this Banner Ad

Today's twilight match between Fremantle and Adelaide at Optus that saw the Dockers defeat the Crows 9.15-69 to 4.10-34 in perfect weather conditions seems to be emerging as an early contender for the worst game this year.

To quote early 2000s pop duo Daphne and Celeste - 'U G L Y, you ain't got no alibi, you're ugly!'
I was at the game.

Both sides were doing their best not to win. About 100 unforced turnovers.

Freo woke up with 20 mins to go.

Round 5, 2002 under the roof
Half FRICKING time
SYDNEY 2.2 (14)
ST KILDA 1.4 (10)

At least there was a winner, right? Wrong. It was a draw after, with a minute to go, Sydney turn the ball over kicking across goal straight to Wolff who, for no apparent reason, plays on and ... from three metres out ... hits the post.

Last edited:
I've never seen a team try so hard and yet be so bad at the same time.

Oh man The Eagles were trying SO hard on Sunday v GWS but just stuffed everything up they touched. You can't fault their effort.

Hopefully something clicks one day

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Half FRICKING time
SYDNEY 2.2 (14)
ST KILDA 1.4 (10)

At least there was a winner, right? Wrong. It was a draw after, with a minute to go, Sydney turn the ball over kicking across goal straight to Wolff who, for no apparent reason, plays on and ... from three metres out ... hits the post.

8:45 for the missed goal to tie the scores.
Sydney also kicked the last three goals in the last five minutes. 55-38 with five minutes to go under a roof for goodness sake.

More like a night game played in Darwin on Christmas Eve 1974.

This year is only a month in and there have already been so many one sided, poor standard and low-scoring matches. As I mentioned on the game day thread, the Carlton vs. North Melbourne match played earlier today saw a one-sided match in which the Blues thrashed the Kangaroos by 56-points, but at least there was an aggregate of 33 goals with 21 to Carlton and 12 to North.
6 undefeated teams and 6 winless teams... Might be one of those seasons with a bunch of elite sides and a pile of crap down the bottom and not much in the middle

Half FRICKING time
SYDNEY 2.2 (14)
ST KILDA 1.4 (10)

I remember thinking we'd win that game easy enough since the Saints were obliterated the week before, but we were frustratingly pathetic. Cresswell's goal at the death got me out my seat, I'll say that much... haha. But it wasn't enough in the end.

EDIT: Just watching the highlights above, how good was Quartermain's call of Cresswell's goal? One of my fav commentators overall. Also forgot Dal Santo had a shot from 60m out after the siren to try and win it. How young does he look there? :D

Last edited:
Ha, have you watched your team this season? You can’t perform amazing every game. Good sides manage to win even when they are playing poorly.

there is " not performing amazing every game " and dishing up whatever it was that freo were doing last night

a little defensive of you to mention the eagles, every man and his dog in Australia knows they are rebuilding right now

classic freo though, as long as you are ahead of big brother thats all that matters, rent free since 1995

there is " not performing amazing every game " and dishing up whatever it was that freo were doing last night

a little defensive of you to mention the eagles, every man and his dog in Australia knows they are rebuilding right now

classic freo though, as long as you are ahead of big brother thats all that matters, rent free since 1995
We won by 35 points, we eventually got into gear. Both sides kicking at goal was horrible, clean that up and the game was fine.

You really need to come up with better insults though, rent free is about 4 years out of date like your football team.

Last nights game is top 5 for the worst games ever.
Some of the worst skills you will ever seen. Freo were atrocious and Adelaide….. I think the Eagles might have beaten them they were so bad.
So bad that they didn’t even have the most Clangers out of the two games played yesterday.

Goal kicking was bad though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So bad that they didn’t even have the most Clangers out of the two games played yesterday.

Goal kicking was bad though.
The other game was also terrible but this was next level. Low scoring, dull, players falling over their feet, deplorable skills…

I was looking forward to it to and it ended up like that.

6 undefeated teams and 6 winless teams... Might be one of those seasons with a bunch of elite sides and a pile of crap down the bottom and not much in the middle

There was something similar in 2011 and 2012, although across both seasons.

In 2011, Collingwood, Geelong and Hawthorn were so far in front of all the other teams. Put one of these teams in any other season and they would have been unbackable premiership favorites, but as it happened they were all in the same season so only one of them could win the flag.

In 2012 things were more even at the top, but at the bottom of the ladder there were five really bad sides all deserving of the wooden spoon. At 5-16-1 and a remarkable five games below the Brisbane Lions, the 14th placed Port Adelaide's win-loss-draw record would make them one of the 'better' wooden spoon teams had they finished last, but their percentage of 78 and that they were so far behind 13th shows they had a dismal year.

The Western Bulldogs were 15th and had quite a strange season. They started off really badly but lifted their game in May and June to be 5-6 at mid-season and an outside chance of the finals. The Dogs then proceeded to lose the last 11 matches of the season, but most damning of all was that most of them were absolute thrashings. Their percentage of 67 says it all.

Melbourne in 16th never fired a shot, losing their first 9 games of the season following the tumultuous end to 2011. The Dees eventually went 4-18, but apart from an upset win over Essendon the only other Demons wins were against expansion teams GWS and the Gold Coast. Like the Dogs the Dees had a percentage of 67 thanks to many heavy defeats, and the awful season a far cry from 2010 when the rebuilding Melbourne were a competitive, hard-working mid-ladder team and aiming to return to finals action in 2012.

At the foot of the ladder in 17th and 18th were the 3-19 Gold Coast Suns which lost their first 14 games of the season, while new team GWS at 2-20 and a percentage of 46 did it tough in their debut season and took home the wooden spoon.

We won by 35 points, we eventually got into gear. Both sides kicking at goal was horrible, clean that up and the game was fine.

You really need to come up with better insults though, rent free is about 4 years out of date like your football team.

its not an insult, the truth doesn't go out of date champ

Early season games are usually crap quality every season, mainly due to poor goal kicking, skills and match fitness. Should hopefully improve soon.

Half FRICKING time
SYDNEY 2.2 (14)
ST KILDA 1.4 (10)

There was a sequel to this in Round 1 2008, when the Saints and Swans played a game under the closed roof at the Docklands that saw St Kilda defeat Sydney 6.15-51 to 6.13-49.

i know that scoring has reduced since the 2000s; one would commonly see a game where both sides kick over 100 points in this decade but it became increasingly rare throughout the 2010s and into the 2020s. In the years after the Docklands venue opened from 2000 the higher scoring games tended to be played there due to the closed roof keeping out wind, rain and other bad weather, but there would always be these low-scoring scrappy games at the ground that only increased in frequency as the years went by.

There was a game featuring Hawthorn and maybe Port(?) back in 05 or 06 where neither side could hit a teammate at ten yards.
Truly atrocious display. It was a miracle that any goals were scored.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back