What is the worst game you have ever watched?

tiger dream

Debutant
Jan 11, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Round 6 2010. Dogs vs. Saints.

I sat there with 5 minutes to go thinking of the night I just wasted watching the worst game ever, but at least the doggies would get a win out of it... then sam f*n fischer decides to exit the backline to kick a goal.

I caught up with some sleep being at that match.

saints_333

Senior List
Feb 16, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Pretty much any game from Round 21 this year?

- Giants vs Hawks, round 21. Pretty cool to see it snow during an AFL game – the actual game itself, on the other hand...
- Cats vs Roos, also round 21. 83 points, lowest scoring game since 1999 and for North, their lowest score in their history, 1.8 (14).
- Round 21 yet again, Essendon vs Bulldogs. Essendon kicked the 1st goal then seemingly just stopped trying while the Dogs kicked 21 in a row. The Bombers, just like the Roos, were sitting on 1.8 (14) up to about 5 minutes remaining, before they kicked three totally meaningless goals and made the final score (dare I say) look somewhat reasonable...

Not sure about the games but does have to be up there with one of the worst rounds in the history of the 'AFL'. Can remember a few rounds a couple of years back when multiple clubs were getting smashed by over 100 points in the same round.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Adelaide/GWS qualifying final from 2017 is the worst final I've ever watched. Well actually to be more specific, it's the only final I've even watched that felt like a throwaway round 19 match between a top team and a bottom 4 team.

Richmond vs Hawthorn Friday night 2015 tops it though. I get to about 2 games a year if I'm lucky and unfortunately this was one of them. I sat next to the Richmond cheer squad (ouch) and we didn't kick a goal to that end for the entire night. The worst performance of our entire 3 years of dominance and I was 'lucky' enough to be there.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Adelaide/GWS qualifying final from 2017 is the worst final I've ever watched. Well actually to be more specific, it's the only final I've even watched that felt like a throwaway round 19 match between a top team and a bottom 4 team.

Richmond vs Hawthorn Friday night 2015 tops it though. I get to about 2 games a year if I'm lucky and unfortunately this was one of them. I sat next to the Richmond cheer squad (ouch) and we didn't kick a goal to that end for the entire night. The worst performance of our entire 3 years of dominance and I was 'lucky' enough to be there.
You’d take it ;)

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Richmond vs St Kilda at the MCG in 2016 was terrible. End score was 55 to 46 St Kilda’s way and the skills were just not on. Melbourne vs Brisbane the year before at the MCG was also a dour affair. Melbourne won 60 to Brisbane’s 36, but it was a fairly low standard game.

Those are the two games that stick out to me.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
I have the memory of a forgetful goldfish, but the Final between Brisbane and GWS sums up what I hate
in a football match, over umpired no flow, dour tagging all over the place as the legendary Andy Maher
would say spot fires everywhere. The Collingwood versus Geelong final was also horrible a glorified game
of kick to kick, coaches should front the tribunal for producing that quality for a please explain.

Apart from the peanut telling the GWS player to leave poor Cameron's elbow alone, what was over umpired about it?

I've posted elsewhere, I have no problem having lots of frees paid as long as they're there.

People applaud the umpires for letting it go in a final but for me, the more free that are paid, the less chance there is for rolling mauls to form. Pay them quick and often and it stops extra players running into the contest.

i remember the days of them paying 70+ frees a game, there were a lot less grey areas and interpretations. You were either holding the ball, dropping the ball, pushing someone in the back or grabbing them too high and the umpires paid them as soon as they saw them.

Matthew_Lloyd

Premiership Player
Apr 27, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Essendon vs Melbourne in 2017. The first half in that game from both teams was the most vomit inducing display of Australian rules football I'll ever see (and that's taking into account some of our questionable efforts this year).

Melbourne then pulled their heads in after half-time and ran away with it. But that first half...******* hell

Gameova_

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hmm I remember a hawks v saints game in 2008 was it? Low scoring first half which saw both sides kick around to Escher unless my memory is failing me

Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
Isn't it ridiculous to think that Lachie Neale was used as a sub in this game?
Oh yeah, 100%

That said, he did average 24 touches per game from rounds 17-23 that same year.

He started coming into his own in the back end of that year and was good for us in the first 2 finals, particularly the prelim.
Just another Ross Lyon GF master stroke.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
2005 GF.

Lowest score in a GF in 100 years despite perfect weather. A Roos game plan that made football horrible for nearly half a dozen years before coaches like Clarko worked out you can beat the flood with elite kicking.

A blight on the game. And then he went on to set Melbourne back half a dozen years too.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Way too many to narrow it down. But a few involving Melbourne, Freo, Carlton, St Kilda this year spring to mind.

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
Freo vs Port in Perth in 2018.

Easily the worst display of Australian Rules Football I’ve ever seen.

This was a shocking game, the worst of the absolute worst. If AFL games were movies this was Jack and Jill.

If Channel 9 still had the AFL rights and was televising this 2018 Fremantle vs. Port game and Kerry Packer was still alive, I think that the Channel 9 control room would have received a call from an angry Mr. Packer ordering them to 'get this s**t off the air'. The telecast would then have mysteriously faded and the Channel 9 ident appeared on the screen, followed by the announcer advising that a technical difficulty was preventing the current program from continuing, and advising that an alternate program would be screened in its place. An episode of Cheers would then have been shown.

benji2

Club Legend
May 19, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg, Sheffield Wednesday
Adelaide v Freo earlier this year. One goal each to halftime. I think there was an A-League final being played at the same time that had more goals.
Just horrid - the clash of two defensive gameplans. Thankfully both coaches involved are now gone.

On LG-K500 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back