What is the worst game you have ever watched?

Remove this Banner Ad

North vs doggies in 2016 in round 6 or 7 was pretty bad. Was a Friday night game. Low scoring match. Was a really boring match.

Bad is an understatement, one of the worst games of Friday night footy I'd seen for a long time

Round 20, 2016: Geelong vs Essendon @ Etihad. One of those miserable Sunday 3:20 matches. Essendon didn't kick a goal until after half time, and Geelong kicked a few goals and took a solid lead into HT, but it was far from dominant. Absolutely terrible to watch. Probably the only time I've ever been bored out of my mind watching a Geelong game. I actually remember the 3QT siren going and going to change the channel, then realised there was still a quarter to go
'

Round 21, 2016: Richmond vs Geelong @ the MCG. If you can believe it, the next worst was one week later. Another miserable Sunday 3:20 game. Geelong played absolutely horrendous for three quarters, and had kicked 4. 13. (37) to 3QT, with Richmond 35 points in front. And then out of no where we kicked a very good, but frustrating 6. 9. (45) in the last quarter and fell over the line by four points. The last quarter redeems this match, but the first three quarters ensure it's on the list

Round 9, 2018: Essendon vs Geelong @ the MCG. Saturday twilight game for the Country Match. As a spectacle this was probably the best of the lot, but from a Geelong fan's perspective, it was pretty bad. We had kicked three goals until late in the last quarter, then kicked four in junk time to make our score look slightly more respectable. The guests were beginning to arrive at Harry and Meghan's wedding during the last quarter, and decided it was better viewing than the match (which I maintain was a wise choice)

Scanlens Man

Senior List
Aug 10, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Took my BIL visiting from O/S to an "AFL" game at the G. St Kilda vs Richmond round 22 2016.

Simply the worst game Ive ever seen. Can't remember the score but might have been 6 goals a piece

If he'd come to Sydney I could have gone to our game which was a thumping of Freo! Only takes me about an hour to drive in to Spotless, better than flying to Melb!

BC9_

Yellow & Black ???
Jan 31, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Richmond vs St Kilda at the MCG in 2016 was terrible. End score was 55 to 46 St Kilda’s way and the skills were just not on. Melbourne vs Brisbane the year before at the MCG was also a dour affair. Melbourne won 60 to Brisbane’s 36, but it was a fairly low standard game.

Those are the two games that stick out to me.

I'm with you there, that Richmond vs St Kilda match was the most deplorable game of football I have ever seen. I even went to the game.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
2005 GF.

Lowest score in a GF in 100 years despite perfect weather. A Roos game plan that made football horrible for nearly half a dozen years before coaches like Clarko worked out you can beat the flood with elite kicking.

A blight on the game. And then he went on to set Melbourne back half a dozen years too.

Can you explain how he set us back half a dozen years when you consider when he came in we were at deaths door?

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Because you are still there.

Its like Sheedy at GWS. He was there too long. Set them back years as well.

I don’t get this. If we had stayed good this year I’ve got zero doubt you’d put it down to Goodwin rather than Roos, but since we’ve fallen apart it’s Roos’ fault. He hasn’t been involved with the club since round 23 2016, I think he did a good job and this year is on the current coaches and players, not someone from 3 years ago.

benji2

Club Legend
May 19, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg, Sheffield Wednesday
Back in the days when channel ten did the broadcast I recall a game where Steven Quartermain said after the game something along the line of "wouldn't be surprised if most of you changed channels".

Likely to have involved the Swans, does anyone remember it?
There was an appalling Syd vs Freo game in 2001, and another one vs St Kilda in 2002 - can't remember if Ten had the rights then but they were shockers too

On LG-K500 using BigFooty.com mobile app

The_Eagles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2005
North Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
australia
There was an absolutely shocking game between Fremantle and Brisbane at Subiaco Oval on a Saturday afternoon in Round 3 2012 where the Dockers defeated the Lions 8.16-64 to 5.5-35. One might think that Perth had gotten an early winter cold front that weekend, or that a late sub-tropical rainstorm lingering from summer had made its presence known. Or perhaps it was just very windy that day.

No. It was a perfect sunny autumn afternoon with the temperatures in the low 20s and hardly a breath of wind.
Yeah think that’s it

Aug 28, 2012
South Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NE Patriots, Manchester United
There was an absolutely shocking game between Fremantle and Brisbane at Subiaco Oval on a Saturday afternoon in Round 3 2012 where the Dockers defeated the Lions 8.16-64 to 5.5-35. One might think that Perth had gotten an early winter cold front that weekend, or that a late sub-tropical rainstorm lingering from summer had made its presence known. Or perhaps it was just very windy that day.

No. It was a perfect sunny autumn afternoon with the temperatures in the low 20s and hardly a breath of wind.
Also Brisbane had a record low 20 Inside 50s for the game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls

The only thing I remember from that game was Clancee Pearce bombing it long from outside 50 for a goal. That's about it.

pablo668

Premiership Player
May 3, 2007
Claremont
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
I watched a game between Melbourne and Carlton years ago. I think Melb were in the middle of their tanking phase and from memory Carlton weren't travelling that well either.
It wasn't actually that bad a game, but incredibly boring and of a shte standard. What sticks in my mind is that Carlton were in their powder blue/Sturt rip off away strip. Bwuce was gushing at one poiunt about how it looked like a Norwood vs Sturt game.
I thought at the time, and said to a friend or two, a game between Sturt and Norwood would be more intreresting and a much higher standard than this dreck.

Fremantle v Brisbane in 2014 or something
Yeah think that’s it
IIRC 2014 wasn’t for the ages either, was a really wet night and at half time Brisbane had kicked only a behind in an eventual 80 point loss. From memory Rockliff had 45 touches for no actual influence on the game

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
I went to the last Sydney and Collingwood game played in melbourne, and Collingwood got pumped.

It was memorable in that it was the game Adam Goodes pointed out the female in the crowd, my seats were the level above and it was quite strange and confusing watching it from a distance.

Sep 16, 2016
I have no idea
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Quite a few
Round 20, 2016: Geelong vs Essendon @ Etihad. One of those miserable Sunday 3:20 matches. Essendon didn't kick a goal until after half time, and Geelong kicked a few goals and took a solid lead into HT, but it was far from dominant. Absolutely terrible to watch. Probably the only time I've ever been bored out of my mind watching a Geelong game. I actually remember the 3QT siren going and going to change the channel, then realised there was still a quarter to go
'

Round 21, 2016: Richmond vs Geelong @ the MCG. If you can believe it, the next worst was one week later. Another miserable Sunday 3:20 game. Geelong played absolutely horrendous for three quarters, and had kicked 4. 13. (37) to 3QT, with Richmond 35 points in front. And then out of no where we kicked a very good, but frustrating 6. 9. (45) in the last quarter and fell over the line by four points. The last quarter redeems this match, but the first three quarters ensure it's on the list

Round 9, 2018: Essendon vs Geelong @ the MCG. Saturday twilight game for the Country Match. As a spectacle this was probably the best of the lot, but from a Geelong fan's perspective, it was pretty bad. We had kicked three goals until late in the last quarter, then kicked four in junk time to make our score look slightly more respectable. The guests were beginning to arrive at Harry and Meghan's wedding during the last quarter, and decided it was better viewing than the match (which I maintain was a wise choice)

Still remember the wtfness of that Essendon game. Everyone thought they would get slaughtered

I remembered an Adelaide-Melbourne game at the MCG.
I went looking and sheesh, the 2 consecutive games were horrendous.

What was worse

2010 - Adelaide 41 - 57 Melbourne
2009 - Adelaide 51 - 34 Melbourne

Its one of them, I just cant remember which.

Adelaide v Freo earlier this year. One goal each to halftime. I think there was an A-League final being played at the same time that had more goals.
Just horrid - the clash of two defensive gameplans. Thankfully both coaches involved are now gone.

On LG-K500 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I actually found this game oddly enjoyable.
At the ground I was going - Can this be our lowest ever winning score - Alas, we scored too much late (including some Eddie magic which literally had me going - wtf just happened)
Then when I watched the replay. There were so many hard tackles and good contested play I actually loved this game on tv.
2004 A week after Adelaide had just been slaughtered by Brisbane by 141pts we played North Melbourne on a Friday night. It took Adelaide 3/4 to kick there first goal and both teams kicked 5 goals each for the entire match, some how we won the game by 7pts.

Fortunately, Channel 9 didn't have this live into Sydney so I was lucky enough to miss it. But one thing I found funny from this game. Either the previous week during the Brisbane game, or on one of the Foxtel shows midweek (probably on the couch) they made the comment 'Adelaide wont win football games kicking scores like this (48 points)'
Fast forward 5 days. Adelaide win by scoring 1 point more.
That I found hilarious.

Zarrix

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
Freo vs Swans was pretty atrocious this year. The only exciting bit was the Swans having it I50 for about 30 seconds of the last minute with a chance to win it yet they could not register even a behind to just draw it. Freo wins at home by the slimmest of margins in one of the most boring games ever.

I had forgotten this one, mercifully. Very definition of "at least its close" type of game.

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
A game in the mid 70's at the old VFL Park Dogs v Lions, a coldish but sunny afternoon, patchy crowd and Alan Stoneham kicked a goal after the final siren for the Dogs to win 35-34 or similar. The mid 70s was a long time ago but that game has stuck in my mind.

At least the Dogs won............made the long trip home on the Bus / Train a bit more bearable

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
Most of these games had something going for them. They might have sucked as spectacles but at least the game was close or there was a lot riding on it or a big crowd. Even that godawful Hawthorn - St Kilda game. I went along with someone who attended their first game that night - she thought it was great because she had no other reference point. And there was at least some tension until the goals finally came.

On the other hand this game had nothing of value whatsoever. A terrible crowd, Port winning the game in the first 15 minutes and then going straight into cruise control. It didn't have a single highlight to speak of and it didn't mean squat in the makeup of the season. It was a glorified training run for Port. I maintain getting lucky in the 2008 GF ballot was due to the fact I was at this game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back