What is the worst game you have ever watched?

north_lad

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I am late to this thread but I’d nominate that game too. I went to it and it was diabolical. 1 goal combined in the first half. Crows 0.10 at half time and managed to win

I was at this! Can confirm it was ******* awful

I also stole a Sherrin during the curtain raiser which for some reason I was at, I think because my friend kind of knew Bryce Gibbs (he certainly mentioned that 200 times throughout that year at least). I leant the ball to my friend (same guy) and he ******* sold it!!! DOG

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
These are the quarter by quarter scores of a game played between the Fremantle Dockers and Brisbane Lions at Perth's Subiaco Oval in Round 3 2012, a match starting at 2.40 pm on Saturday April 14 2012:

Fremantle 1.4 4.7 6.13 8.16-64 d. Brisbane 2.1 3.2 5.3 5.5-35

Looking at the scores alone, one would assume weather was a factor in the low-scoring match. Perth often has sub-tropical rainstorms in late summer and early autumn, maybe one came through that afternoon drenching the ground? Perhaps there was no rain, but Perth was getting a late blast of hot dry summer weather, and temperatures soaring into the mid-high 30s left both teams exhausted in the heat? Maybe the adverse weather was at the other end of the scale, and Perth was experiencing an early taste of winter, a cold front sweeping through with chilly weather, strong winds and heavy rain? Or maybe it was a normal autumn day temperature and rain-wise, but very windy, with Perth often having strong westerly winds in the late afternoons and given the time of the day the match was played, this could well have been the case.

Any of these assumptions about the weather would be logical, but all would be incorrect. This match was played on a fine sunny autumn day with temperatures in the low 20s and barely a breath of wind.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
(At AFL level)
Worst game played by a single team : North in the Good Friday game this year.

Worst game ever seen : Hawthorn v Carlton around 2003 or 2004. It wasn't a blow out, or low scoring; just diabolically bad. Seriously, terribly bad. Maybe one player was AFL level on the day. We're talking early Peel Thunder (WAFL) bad here.

Not quite as bad as that Carlton Hawthorn game, but our game against Collingwood a couple of weeks ago probably slots in at #2. The Pies were at SANFL wooden spoon level - and clearly superior by about three divisions, despite the score not actually showing a blowout.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
It’s been mentioned a few times before but the North-Cats game at KP in 2019 would have been utterly horrible for anyone bar a cats fan.

it was arctic, wet, it was my first and so far only match at KP as I live about 800km away.

we were on the GAS terrace, and I felt so sorry for the North fans. They were seated behind that goal. Their only goal of the match came from the other end- and as it was KP, that meant they couldn’t physically be further away from the opposite goal than they were - it’s the longest ground in the comp. as they were leaving some drunk t@rd gave a gobful to this poor little girl of 10-11 wearing a North jersey.

I enjoyed it from the perspective of it being a bit of a pilgrimage for me but that aside it was awful

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
Any Melbourne v St Kilda game at Waverley in the mid to late 70's. The size of the ground was too great for the combined skills of both teams. Thank Christ for Robbie Flower. Were it not for him you'd have buggered off at half time.

Interestingly the struggling Demons and Saints played the highest scoring game in history at the MCG in 1978, St Kilda winning 31.18-204 to 21.15-141, a 345-point aggregate never bettered to this day.

Along with the Bulldogs, the Saints and Demons form an odd scoring pattern around this era. This game in which the Saints kicked 31.18-204 is the only time St Kilda has kicked a 200-point score, yet later in the year they conceded the Bulldogs only 200 point score, Footscray thrashing St Kilda 33.15-213 to 16.10-106 at the Western Oval. The Dogs' 33.15-213 was the highest score in history at the time, but only stood for a year until Fitzroy kicked 36.22-238 in Round 17 1979 - against Melbourne. As for Melbourne, they are the only Victorian team (discounting University) who have never kicked a 200-point score in a game.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Jeez I’ve seen some stinkers. It’s not just bad luck - Melbourne featured in all of them. Seriously what kind of idiot is invested in AFL and that team? I’m amazed I can still post about this without breaking down

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
there was a swans v st kilda game maybe up to 14-15 years ago, ended in a very low-scoring draw, both teams utterly incompetent, from memory swans finally hit front via daryn cresswell late, before a blunder or dropped mark deep in defence left a st kilda young gun-at-the-time with an open run into goal to win it, slammed the ball into the post for an abject draw, perfectly summing up the miserable, ugly incompetence of both sides ... i'm shuddering again at the thought

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
I remember the game in 2002. IIR Daniel Wulf missed a golden chance to put the Saints in front late by hitting the post. It was commentated by Channel 10.

I weirdly remembered the following match St Kilda played (against Collingwood) and they were getting smashed and that was when Dennis made that comment.

that's the one ... was just reading through the old posts, and this is the game! daniel wulf, poor bstard ... the final insult to fans

Catsace

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
This one for me as well. Bizarre.

If that was in Perth, in fairness to the players it absolutely pissed down raining for most of that game, and Nic Nat i think did some late heroics to give the Eagles the win.

An earlier poster said the '186' game was wet, no it was dry and fine, albeit rather chilly late in the game as darkness descended. But as a Cat fan it was glorious.

My worst game I watched was a tie breaker between Rd 15 1983 when Geelong went from 3.3.21 to 0.4.4 lead at Q time at K.P, to lose by 52 points to a then 1-13 St.Kilda by games end.

Rd 7 1990 saw Geelong kick a disgusting 9.28.82 against the Tigers who were absolute dross in that era who kicked 13.18.96. Was the sole victory by the Tigers over Geelong in a period from 1985 to 1996.

Catsace

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Not live, but worst game I saw on TV was an Essendon v Fremantle game in the early 2000s. Essendon were in their post-2001 decline, and Fremantle still very mediocre.

Bombers jumped out to a 4-5 goal lead early on.....and then just coasted along in second gear with no apparent desire to put the game away. They had no interest in dealing out a belting, and Freo weren't good enough to make the game closer. So the margin just fluttered around 25-30 points all game, with no excitement or interest whatsoever.

That's becoming a Geelong specialty of recent times, games against North, Suns and Pies all out of the same playbook. The Suns game in particular, a beautiful sunny early afternoon (1.45pm) start game at K.P, and approaching the latter parts of the 3rd quarter, Geelong led 6.1.37 to 4.8.32!

For Geelong to have 7 scoring shots at K.P after about 80 minutes of footy was ghastly especially in such beautiful conditions.

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
If that was in Perth, in fairness to the players it absolutely pissed down raining for most of that game, and Nic Nat i think did some late heroics to give the Eagles the win.

An earlier poster said the '186' game was wet, no it was dry and fine, albeit rather chilly late in the game as darkness descended. But as a Cat fan it was glorious.

My worst game I watched was a tie breaker between Rd 15 1983 when Geelong went from 3.3.21 to 0.4.4 lead at Q time at K.P, to lose by 52 points to a then 1-13 St.Kilda by games end.

Rd 7 1990 saw Geelong kick a disgusting 9.28.82 against the Tigers who were absolute dross in that era who kicked 13.18.96. Was the sole victory by the Tigers over Geelong in a period from 1985 to 1996.

Geelong in 1990 lost to all of the bottom 4 teams. The Cats lost twice to the Sydney Swans which finished second last, were given a 66-point thrashing by the wooden spoon team Brisbane Bears at Carrara, 12th placed Fitzroy had a comfortable victory over the Cats and there was that game you mentioned against lowly Richmond where Geelong kicked 9.28.

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What is it with recent Geelong and Collingwood matches producing terrible standard games regardless of who wins, or whether the game is close or one-sided?

Is there any way the 2022 fixtures could be structured so there are no Magpies vs. Cats games?

our game against collingwood the week before was complete trash too

Back