What is the worst game you have ever watched?

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2013 grand final
More entertaining that year was how Geelong didn’t make the grand final. They lost the AFL gifted qualifying final after the afl played funny buggars and scheduled the game at Geelong (something not done for a final before or since). Then in the preliminary final they blew a 20 point lead in the last term to lose by a kick. As the old saying goes..life’s a bitch then you marry one.

Collingwood vs Geelong R11 was definitely the worst game of 2021. One of the games where you just stop caring mid way through and consider any time spent watching thus far a total waste of time.

Hawthorn vs Melb (or was it st kilda) out at waverly in about 2000 the two teams had scored 4 goals by half time. It was the beginning of total defense by Clarkson. Even Chance Bateman in the after game interview said it would have been pretty awful to watch and it was. First time I saw people leave at half time in droves.

Round 1 - 2011 - Geel v StK - Friday night game

Talk about dour 2 goals to 1 at h/t 4 goals a piece at 3qtr time - and 6 goals each at the final siren

Geel have been generally shocking to watch the last few years because of the slow chip around method - only rivalled by the Hawks with some of their games at York Park

Honestly those Haw games at York Park - are worse and more cringeworthy than the Elvis movies of the 1950s

I generally don't look forward to our Tassie games because the quality is a tough watch.

Funnily enough our games against Essendon and Brisbane in 2021 down there were both great for very different reasons.

I think it was Richmond v Collingwood, round 3 2020.

The first game back after the Covid break. A 36 all draw would make for an rousing NFL match or an exciting and absorbing NRL match or an eye-poppingly mind-blowingly astonishing EPL match, but it makes for an incredibly dull AFL game.
Oh god, don't remind me of that abomination, 2020 was pretty much the worst year of footy ever (even if my team did well that season) and I really damn hope shorter quarters never come into existence again, especially after some of the pathetic scorelines that were dished up during that year.

Collingwoood also scored 4 goals to 1 as well in the first quarter lets not forgot, before the match came to a complete snoozefest and the player skills were basically like watching an Under 14s training session, even though they were two highly-rated teams for the season.

If there was any positive with that match, it would be that it wasn't even the worst match played that season, with that either going to any of the following matches below:
  • Round 6, Richmond (4.10 34) - Sydney (3.8 26)

• Round 8, Fremantle (2.4 16) - Geelong (6.12 48)

• Round 13, Fremantle (7.8 50) - Sydney (2.7 19)

• Round 15, Brisbane (6.6 42) - Collingwood (5.4 34)

• Round 16, Melbourne (4.9 33) - Fremantle (6.11 47)

Last edited:
That hawthorn/st.kilda game at the G many years ago, I just remember the entire crowd booing at half time due to the piss poor standard of footy
I believe you would be referring to Rd 8 2007. There was a passage of play so farcical that when Hawthorn kicked a goal at the end of it the crowd laughed.

That Adelaide vs north game in 2004 or 2005 when it was atrocious conditions and both teams managed one goal between them to half time.
Gold Coast vs north in cairns a few years ago in tropical pouring rain.
The conditions to both games played a big part in the quality.

Worst game ever witnessed live? R13 1996 St.Kilda vs Brisbane Bears.

A game between a lowly placed side unsure whether it's rebuilding or in the middle of its window sh**ing on an interstate side on their burst up the table during their mid-season slump at arctic park with no saving grace. Nothing of note happened here. This wasn't the hail game. Stewy Loewe kicked 9 goals...nobody cared. We were all freezing, the margin kept getting further out, no narrative was furthered or ruined it was just a nothing game in atrocious conditions where the home team steadily increased their margin each break into an 8 goal win. The epitome of mediocrity.

More entertaining that year was how Geelong didn’t make the grand final. They lost the AFL gifted qualifying final after the afl played funny buggars and scheduled the game at Geelong (something not done for a final before or since). Then in the preliminary final they blew a 20 point lead in the last term to lose by a kick. As the old saying goes..life’s a b*tch then you marry one.

That hurts because I think Geelong were the only side our players had a genuine personal grudge against to take our minds off the Grand Final and, weirldy, focusing us. We had their measure on every level and Varcoe missing the easy shot to tie the scores gives me a good dose of the "what ifs"

Last edited:
Any Carlton v Richmond round 1 game over the last few years have been horrible games.

I predict that the choice of WB v Melb playing round 1 2022 will also be a stinker. Both teams have had the longest break since playing the GF; where they will be 5 weeks behind the rest of the comp. Don't expect a classic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any Carlton v Richmond round 1 game over the last few years have been horrible games.

I predict that the choice of WB v Melb playing round 1 2022 will also be a stinker. Both teams have had the longest break since playing the GF; where they will be 5 weeks behind the rest of the comp. Don't expect a classic.

Still not sure why they insist on Carlton vs Richmond every year. And now they're giving one of the most mouthwatering matches away on a Wednesday night in round 1 after both teams have been on 3 month long benders. Doesn't make sense.

Round 1 to me should look something like this:
Collingwood vs Carlton
West Coast vs Sydney
Adelaide vs GC
Port vs Bulldogs
Richmond vs GWS
North vs St Kilda
Melbourne vs Brisbane
Freo vs Hawks
Geelong vs Essendon

Couple big games but most games will be watched/attended because people will be foaming after not having footy for a long time

Some terrible demon losses over the years but in terms of pure terrible spectacle:

Round 16 2015. July.

Eventual 13th placed Melbourne are in the second year of Roos-ball. Simple boring defensive footy trying to rebuild a club.

Brisbane were on the path to finish 17th in year 2 of Leppa having absolutely nothing to work with.

Melbourne jumped out to a 5 goal to 1 quarter time lead and played pretty well.

From then on Melbourne kicked 3 goal 8 behinds in the next 3 quarters.

Brisbane kicked 3 goals, 10 behinds in the next 3 quarters.

Just completely slop fest.

Some terrible demon losses over the years but in terms of pure terrible spectacle:

Round 16 2015. July.

Eventual 13th placed Melbourne are in the second year of Roos-ball. Simple boring defensive footy trying to rebuild a club.

Brisbane were on the path to finish 17th in year 2 of Leppa having absolutely nothing to work with.

That one was ludicrous in it’s terribleness. If I remember rightly we won but it didn’t make me happy. Embarrassing

Saints Vs North Good Friday is probably the worst display of professional football you will ever see
That first half was up there from both teams, at one stage there was at least 10 behinds between them for 3 or 4 goals by half time

There was an appalling (even more than usual) dockers vs blues game a few years ago when there were long passages where no one could hit a target

Idk about ever, But I went and watched Geelong Vs West coast last year down at Kardinia Park, Biggest waste of a day ever.
Anzac day 2019 wasn't the worst game to watch but the umpiring was some of the worst i have seen.

Last edited:

Round 16 2015. July.

Great call. That was memorably bad, none of the players looked like they could hit a barn door from 3 yards.

Dogs vs North maybe 8-9 years back had something like four goals total to half time, and at Etihad/Marvel so not like we could use weather as an excuse. Abysmal.

Hawthorn vs Melb (or was it st kilda) out at waverly in about 2000 the two teams had scored 4 goals by half time. It was the beginning of total defense by Clarkson. Even Chance Bateman in the after game interview said it would have been pretty awful to watch and it was. First time I saw people leave at half time in droves.

Gee, this is a confusing example. Firstly, the last ever game at Waverley Park was in the 90's. Chance Bateman was only drafted after Waverley was no longer an AFL venue and Clarkson didn't start coaching until 2005.

Your memory must be a little hazy on this one as not one thing you mentioned (year, venue, player or coach) could have lined up.

Can someone please re-watch the St Kilda v North game on Good Friday and report back to us, on the assumption that they don't cark it in response?

Please, someone!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back