Society/Culture What is wrong with eating whale?

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably a good thing.
I mean, if you did own a cat, you'd be in an ethical conundrum regarding whether or not you should kill it, or the best way to kill it if you thought you should. Assuming you could bring yourself to do so, you know, morals and all that. Kill the cat, or not kill the cat and let the cat kill a bird or ten... oh, Great Pumpkin, whatever should I do?

Noooo, don't ever buy a cat. Maybe adopt one from a shelter, you know, more ethical that way.
All those RSPCA folks thinking they're saving animals by saving and distributing the one animal guaranteed to kill everything else it can. For humane reasons, of course. Somebody please think of the kittens! (They're cuter than lizards). I mean seriously, if those clowns actually wanted to do something for the environment (or even just animals) they should be shoveling cats into gas chambers, rather than saving and redistributing the damned things.

No, wait! Just imagine how much better off the world would be if we could ship off every cat in Australia to Africa to feed the starving children.

Of course you'd have to navigate the political minefield of live cat exporting, because all that refrigeration costs money you know, not to mention the greenhouse gasses and wotnot, and then there's probably be all sorts of considerations about whether or not we should say a little prayer over them before we bash their heads in (or pay someone else to do it, someone licenced and approved after due consideration from the relevant people in power... and perhaps a small donation to the church), and just imagine all the money you could save on feed during the voyage - they eat rats! Rat-free ships, bonus!

But hey, at least those little African kids wouldn't go hungry, right? And the lizards and birds and cute little almost-extinct mammal and rodent species dotted around the place would breathe a sigh of relief, begin to multiply again, and get themselves killed crossing highways instead.

Dammit, a couple of drinks and there I go solving all the worlds problems again. Should probably just eat a whale instead, less outrage that way.

Probably a good thing.
I mean, if you did own a cat, you'd be in an ethical conundrum regarding whether or not you should kill it, or the best way to kill it if you thought you should. Assuming you could bring yourself to do so, you know, morals and all that. Kill the cat, or not kill the cat and let the cat kill a bird or ten... oh, Great Pumpkin, whatever should I do?

Noooo, don't ever buy a cat. Maybe adopt one from a shelter, you know, more ethical that way.
All those RSPCA folks thinking they're saving animals by saving and distributing the one animal guaranteed to kill everything else it can. For humane reasons, of course. Somebody please think of the kittens! (They're cuter than lizards). I mean seriously, if those clowns actually wanted to do something for the environment (or even just animals) they should be shoveling cats into gas chambers, rather than saving and redistributing the damned things.

No, wait! Just imagine how much better off the world would be if we could ship off every cat in Australia to Africa to feed the starving children.

Of course you'd have to navigate the political minefield of live cat exporting, because all that refrigeration costs money you know, not to mention the greenhouse gasses and wotnot, and then there's probably be all sorts of considerations about whether or not we should say a little prayer over them before we bash their heads in (or pay someone else to do it, someone licenced and approved after due consideration from the relevant people in power... and perhaps a small donation to the church), and just imagine all the money you could save on feed during the voyage - they eat rats! Rat-free ships, bonus!

But hey, at least those little African kids wouldn't go hungry, right? And the lizards and birds and cute little almost-extinct mammal and rodent species dotted around the place would breathe a sigh of relief, begin to multiply again, and get themselves killed crossing highways instead.

Dammit, a couple of drinks and there I go solving all the worlds problems again. Should probably just eat a whale instead, less outrage that way.
I love this.

It reminds me of a blunder I made years ago. I was talking to a wife of a friend, who I'd forgotten was an ardent feminist, all on the patriarchy and s**t, about cats. Hers being something she poured most of her affection into. I like generally cats, but know what vicious creatures they can be. Theirs was desexed male, and I said "yeah you have to desex them, especially males, as they're just dirty rapists if you don't". The look on her face was one of sheer horror, but she thought about it and said "yeah I suppose they are really awful, aren't they?"

The animal world is full of horror, and that is where we came from. We're better than them, which means we try to be compassionate, but also means we deserve to eat them.

I would personally eat any animal that was safe to eat.

I would probably hesitate a bit at great Apes but would eventually scoff a Gorilla steak.

Thrawn your assertion that humans are worse because we continue to do bad things even though we have higher cognitive capability is debatable.

We've been gifted with that ability but it's not always easy to use. We have a hierarchy of needs (see Maslow) that is more sophisticated than that of animals. Better tools, harder job.

As people have evolved we've become better, more empathetic, moralistic, etc. Go back only 100 years even and the concept of 'humanity' as in treating all humans as humans, is not really existent.

As we've become better, we demand better of ourselves. And we are better than we have ever been before. Is perfection the only way we can seek moral parity with amoral animals? Surely not.

All life is simply a genetic code trying to propogate itself. Humankind has evolved in a very complex way that empowers it and challenges it in equally large proportions IMO.

Probably a good thing.

I love my (non-adopted) cat, but this was the best post I've read on here for a long while. Very funny.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back