Movie What is your all time favourite Australian movie? NOW WITH POLL

What is your all time favourite Australian movie?

• Wolf Creek

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • The Castle

Votes: 77 33.8%
  • Animal Kingdom

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Lantana

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Picnic at Hanging Rock

• The Dish

• Australia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Priscilla Queen of the Desert

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Muriel's Wedding

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Mad Max

Votes: 28 12.3%
  • Last Cab to Darwin

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • The Proposition

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • Alvin Purple

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Romper Stomper

• Other

Votes: 55 24.1%

• Total voters
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
I remember this film as a teen, i stayed up late to see boobs which was a staple of 70s and early 80s Aussie cinema. If anyone has not seen the doco Not Quite Hollywood, do it its a really really good insight into Aussie cinema of those times.

Reflection of the culture really.

I like that it points out that then it was liberating and empowering to be naked. Now its the opposite. It's empowering to refuse nudity.

Sent from mTalk

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
The Dish (a lot more subtle than The Castle)
Sunday Too Far Away
Crocodile Dundee
The Castle
The Interview
The Boys
Gallipoli
Breaker Morant
The Lighthorsemen
Wake in Fright

Would be pretty close to my top 10.

I'm surprised at Two Hands getting quite a few mentions. I remember it came out around 6 months after Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and for me it was a poor man's version of that.

The Dressmaker with Kate Winslet, Hugo Weaving, Judy Davis, Liam Hemsworth and a who's, who of Australian acting is a good recent one that I really enjoyed.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Yep, that's the one....With 6 Ribbons sung by Jon English himself as the theme song....First aired in 1978. 13 part series

It was Gerrard Kennedy who played the character of Dinny, not Gus Mercurio.....Reckon I was getting mixed up with Cash & Company, the TV series there.

There were heaps of shows like that back in the day, mid 70s to early 80s. Rush, Tandara were another couple, they all seemed to have either Gus Mercurio, Michael Pate, John Waters or Gerrard Kennedy in them.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
No place in a conversation about best all time Aussie movies but if you like a bit of near future Sci-fi Upgrade is well worth checking out, very low budget but it works well enough and I'm pretty sure apart from a couple of leads and some funding its an all Aussie production.

jabba5114

Premiership Player
Jan 23, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I liked ned. Movie where they make fun of ned Kelly. Bit stupid but I like a good stupid comedy everyone and then. Stars abe forsythe and michala banas

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Lukes_Beverage

Debutant
Jun 24, 2007
Altona
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
All the movies mentioned have merit, even though I haven't seen all of them.

I don't think this has been mentioned.
The Mule with Angus Sampson was pretty good and is right up there in my opinion.

jabba5114

Premiership Player
Jan 23, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
All the movies mentioned have merit, even though I haven't seen all of them.

I don't think this has been mentioned.
The Mule with Angus Sampson was pretty good and is right up there in my opinion.
Yeah that was a good movie come across it accidentally on TV kept watching it. Also found mental with Toni collete accidentally while in nz was a good movie too

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
I've seen plenty over many years, including - The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith; The Cars that ate Paris; Alvin Purple; The Adventures of Barry McKenzie; They're a weird mob; Picnic at Hanging Rock; Red Dog; Last Cab to Darwin; Mad Max; Getting of Wisdom; My Brilliant Career; Gallipoli; Breaker Morant; Crocodile Dundee; Muriel's Wedding; Strictly Ballroom; Animal Kingdom; and Australia.

My all time favourite is The Castle. It was such a simple, low budget movie with unforgettable characters. In fact Rob Sitch is on record as saying The Castle was made in 1997 to raise funds for another movie produced by Working Dog, The Dish.

Has there ever been a more quoted Australian movie?

You can't answer that in one selection, there are tons of great Aussie movies Croc Dun no.1 Animal Kingdom , taxi to Darwin , I loved the giant pig in the bush and the abattoir, Razor Back! Cars that ate Paris, Muriel , what about The Interview with Hugo Weaving , man o man if you haven't seen it get hold of it.

You can't answer that in one selection, there are tons of great Aussie movies Croc Dun no.1 Animal Kingdom , taxi to Darwin , I loved the giant pig in the bush and the abattoir, Razor Back! Cars that ate Paris, Muriel , what about The Interview with Hugo Weaving , man o man if you haven't seen it get hold of it.
The Interview is superb. :thumbsu:

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie movies really do suck. Crocodile Dundee followed by romper stomper are the best.

What does suck mean? REALLY THERE HAVE BEEN SOME RIPPER AUSSIE MOVIES, Croc and Romper both good.

You should have a look at Animal Kingdom too , such an undercurrent of violence, Mendelsohn so menacing as Pope, Jacquie Weaver, well what can you say, brilliant, and that show had to be pretty close to the bone, especially for the Melbourne cops. The real ones I mean.

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Don's Party.

Ha ha ha perfect , I forgot about it , my time and age bracket for that movie, classical Australian story and so good, all the bullshit and the fakery and the booze the sheilas the smart arse blokes, and the politics wow, took me right back to the time where I came from, that show.

Never tell me we can't make movies!

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
In no particular order: Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith, Wake In Fright, Gallipoli, Breaker Morant, Mad Max 2, The Club, Two Hands, The Boys, Chopper, Lantana, The Proposition and going waaay back, The Sentimental Bloke

Yes the first Wake in Fright, but thats a classic, just a classic, so is the book, the book is effing brilliant.

Yes and Mad Max 2 , that is the only one I ever saw , years ago took my nephew and his mate to see it at the pictures and it started and never stopped, it was insane , I was on my seat edge for the whole thing, I think the two kids were shell shocked or for the time maybe it was me!

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Probably Noise. Not as critically acclaimed as something like Lantana, and the plot is perhaps a little weak, but definitely my favourite crime film in terms of atmosphere and characterisation. I saw it in an empty cinema, which really made the best of the quite excellent use of sound in the film. Definitely recommend watching this one in a home theatre with a top notch surround sound system.

I have a fondness for Strictly Ballroom as well. Only Baz Luhrmann film I like though.

Strictly Ballroom, of course, sheesh! I keep going through this thread and I remember that I've forgotten!!!!!!!!

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Yes the first Wake in Fright, but thats a classic, just a classic, so is the book, the book is effing brilliant.

Yes and Mad Max 2 , that is the only one I ever saw , years ago took my nephew and his mate to see it at the pictures and it started and never stopped, it was insane , I was on my seat edge for the whole thing, I think the two kids were shell shocked or for the time maybe it was me!

Them movies have something in common

Sent from mTalk

I am one who likes to rank things. A few years back I assembled my top 100 all time favourite songs on my iPod. Some would say you can’t list songs like that but I did, and my No.1 back then is still my favourite.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
What does suck mean? REALLY THERE HAVE BEEN SOME RIPPER AUSSIE MOVIES, Croc and Romper both good.

You should have a look at Animal Kingdom too , such an undercurrent of violence, Mendelsohn so menacing as Pope, Jacquie Weaver, well what can you say, brilliant, and that show had to be pretty close to the bone, especially for the Melbourne cops. The real ones I mean.
If i had to rate a list of my top 50 movies then not one would be an australian movie. If a had a top 200 i might get 2 in. Thats incredibly sad.

Back