What is your most hated ground that has been used for AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yatmax

Channel your inner Mark Zanotti
Sep 13, 2016
Adelaide, SA
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Coburg
The title explains it. It can be current or can be past but has had to be used in the AFL not the VFL.

My most hated would have to be Docklands. I don't like this ground because of the surface as well as having a roof. If Etihad didn't have a roof the surface would be better and would save electricity instead of lighting up the interior. Better not having a roof then.

Type away fellas.

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George
Of all time Subiaco, little to no shade/shelter in the main public areas, playing surface was far too big which impacted viewing and the place felt like it was done on the cheapest dollar. The only reason I have better feelings towards Docklands is because my team has a good record there

Moorabbin, what a cesspit.
Standing room on the eastern side was terrible and was made up of part dirt and mud, part concrete that in some parts was broken up and sharp. The facilities were almost none, and what was there were always broken and filthy. The atmosphere was worse, it was all about the drunks and pathetic morons.

I was glad I only ever went there a handful of times.

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Moorabbin, what a cesspit.
Standing room on the eastern side was terrible and was made up of part dirt and mud, part concrete that in some parts was broken up and sharp. The facilities were almost none, and what was there were always broken and filthy. The atmosphere was worse, it was all about the drunks and pathetic morons.

I was glad I only ever went there a handful of times.
To me, attending nearly all games from 77-92, it was golden elixir. One mans trash...

bombersfan4000

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
The title explains it. It can be current or can be past but has had to be used in the AFL not the VFL.

My most hated would have to be Docklands. I don't like this ground because of the surface as well as having a roof. If Etihad didn't have a roof the surface would be better and would save electricity instead of lighting up the interior. Better not having a roof then.

Type away fellas.
The venue would still need lighting! Especially for night games;)

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arctic Park. Very cold. Too far away from the action. Took hours to get out of the joint if you drove (Who wants to catch a bus?). Good riddance!

Waverley was doomed to fail from the start for a number of reasons including the playing area being far too big as you stated and looking back at pictures of the ground it felt like it was built on the cheapest dollar, plus the VFL/AFL failed to undertake regular refurbishment of the facilities at the ground, unlike the SANFL's Footy Park where they refurbished the ground multiple times and even built a new grandstand!

BERT

All Australian
Feb 28, 2003
in a gutter
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Victory.
Waverley was doomed to fail from the start for a number of reasons including the playing area being far too big as you stated and looking back at pictures of the ground it felt like it was built on the cheapest dollar, plus the VFL/AFL failed to undertake regular refurbishment of the facilities at the ground, unlike the SANFL's Footy Park where they refurbished the ground multiple times and even built a new grandstand!
In the then VFL's defense, the plan was for the members stand to go all around the ground and public transport directly to the ground. The Grand Final would be played there as well. The capacity would have been 150000 Politics got involved and it never happened.

In the then VFL's defense, the plan was for the members stand to go all around the ground and public transport directly to the ground. The Grand Final would be played there as well. The capacity would have been 150000 Politics got involved and it never happened.
Didn't something happen where a member of parliament who was involved in the train line there was also a member of the MCC and he didn't want to put the train line there? I know something like that happened.

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Didn't something happen where a member of parliament who was involved in the train line there was also a member of the MCC and he didn't want to put the train line there? I know something like that happened.

John Cain Jr, premier of Victoria at the time favored the MCG over Waverley and refused the planning permit to expand the ground

(Log in to remove this ad.)

raymond35

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood vfl
To me, attending nearly all games from 77-92, it was golden elixir. One mans trash...

I grew up near Moorabbin and went to a lot of games there. I loved it. It was designed for the genuine punter who was happy to stand and watch the footy, i dont think there was a superbox in the entire place.
Was very unhappy to see what has become of it when i went there last year.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy

Type away fellas.

Fair enough reasons. Docklands sucks for so many reasons but I think Homebush I hated even more as the surface of the ground was a disgrace. When I watched some games there, real hate for seeing the effect of the surface on what could be produced for a game of football made my blood boil. The last straw was then seeing Roughead get a ******* bolt into his back.

No other grounds I really hate like those two. Some grounds had some bad things about them. Victoria Park smelt like a sewerage and Western Oval was always too windy to enjoy being outside there but that was part of the landscape so just accepted it as a different venue to experience football with big gusts on wind.

So Homebush 1
Docklands 2 and daylight to anything else.

Does AFLW count? If so it is definitely Southpine Sports complex, it's literally a park oval in the middle of nowhere, if you don't have a lift driving becomes the only option as a bus only goes there once an hour.

If you count mens only then it would have to be Carrara Oval pre-development

Does AFLW count? If so it is definitely Southpine Sports complex, it's literally a park oval in the middle of nowhere, if you don't have a lift driving becomes the only option as a bus only goes there once an hour.

If you count mens only then it would have to be Carrara Oval pre-development

Carrra was better than Moorabbin, Arden st and Vic Park.

Carrra was better than Moorabbin, Arden st and Vic Park.
Arden St wasn't used in the AFL era for regular season games, agree it is just a park oval, seen grounds that are more AFL standard in subarban Gold Coast

kid_a

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2010
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, East Freo, Glory
I went to one game back in 2008 at Carrara before it was redeveloped into Metricon.
Seriously it was not much better than the venues we had in Kalgoorlie.

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Carrara would've been fun to look around before it got rebuilt especially seeing the Gold Coast Chargers playing there

I loved Waverley. Maybe because at the time it was the showpiece ground once a week where the marquee games were played, so it was something special when your team was fixtured there. There was something about walking in through the gates and seeing the ground open up below you.

North Hobart Oval was pretty ordinary back in the day.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Think I been to 15 different grounds.

MCG
SCG
Princes Park
Junction Oval
VFL Park (Waverely Park)
Football Park
Subiaco Oval
Kardinia Park
Western Oval
Windy Hill
Arden Street
Moorabin
Docklands
Victoria Park
Homebush

Homebush worst surface I seen
Victoria Park worst conditions for fans. Like watching a game from near a toilet at every point around the ground.
Docklands is most souless and pointless venue of all but easy to get to.

Oct 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sixers, Exers, GWS Womens
That place is terrible. Do they really see that for if they are going to develop AFLW. The ground itself has no seating and hardly has a hill to sit on.

That place is terrible. Do they really see that for if they are going to develop AFLW. The ground itself has no seating and hardly has a hill to sit on.
Next year we're playing two games at Burpengary (much better venue) and one at Hickey Park (which I never been there)

Glad we've come to our senses and ditched Southpine for good

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Think I been to 15 different grounds.

MCG
SCG
Princes Park
Junction Oval
VFL Park (Waverely Park)
Football Park
Subiaco Oval
Kardinia Park
Western Oval
Windy Hill
Arden Street
Moorabin
Docklands
Victoria Park
Homebush

Homebush worst surface I seen
Victoria Park worst conditions for fans. Like watching a game from near a toilet at every point around the ground.
Docklands is most souless and pointless venue of all but easy to get to.
The Homebush surface is the result of reconfiguring between a rectangle and an oval ground when it's used for AFL.

Spotless manages to maintain a quality surface after ripping it up for the show every year though. ANZ is publicly owned and Spotless by the Equestrian Society in a hangover from the
Olympics.

Given they're a couple of hundred metres apart it would make some sense to have common ground staff maybe but that doesn't happen.

For all of the talk and government announcement it will be rebuilt I think ANZ will be there for a long time yet as an AFL option. With the stated intention to rebuild it it's not going to be possible to get funding for improvements though, and that's a shame.

The Swans hate it for different reasons and have a point. It is over engineered and soulless. It'll be a looong time before Sydney get's another stadium suitable for AFL that size though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back