What is your most hated ground that has been used for AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't been to the new Lathlain Oval but there isn't much separating the WAFL grounds.
All grounds are based on drive and park in streets with easy dispersion except Joondalup with dedicated parking.
All grounds are based on grassy banks with a small stadium with Joondalup the smallest stadium and Claremont the most modern.
All grounds have pretty mediocre facilities, access to food and drink.
Bassendean, Lathlain, Subiaco (gone), Claremont are on train lines and close to urban centres.
Leederville, Fremantle and Ruston Park also close to and probably most convenient urban centres.
Fremantle has the best atmosphere (infrastructure) followed by Bassendean (passion).
The WACA obviously would trump all WAFL grounds in all respects except for Atmosphere.
Leederville. Lathlain and Perth Oval in their old guise were very similar with "modern' stadiums.
East Fremantle Oval and the old Claremont were very similar with very "agricultural" stands which now works well with small crowds.
Ruston Park just overtook North Fremantle Oval in number of WAFL games held.
Kelmscott and Wanneroo were used in 1989 but WAFL apart from that, Wanneroo and S.E. Perth and more were left to the Sunday League.

I attended Subiaco versus West Perth at Kingsway Reserve in 1988 or 1989 (probably 1989) - there was about 4,000 there and it was a far better atmosphere than the soulless Arena Joondalup. I wish West Perth had gone down the Kingsway path instead.

I agree with your comments - I love all the WAFL venues as I have been going to them since 1976 when I was a 7-year-old - wonderful memories.

As a West Perth fan, I loved Leederville Ovsl. I went for a walk around the ground on a weekday afternoon in July 2019 - it is amazing how much of it is still the same, basically the whole western side of the stadium except for that tasteful little Subiaco social club building.

Perth Oval was also excellent for atmosphere back in the day. I saw two West Perth versus East Perth games there in the late-1990s with crowds of about 4,000 at both games. It should have been kept as an Aussie Rules oval with a new rectangle stadium built for soccer - an example of very poor, reactive, adhoc urban planning instead of longer-term strategic thinking.

Lathlain Park is also a great stadium, one of my favourites for old-world charm and atmosphere. It is sad that the wonderful trees behind the southern-end goals (captured in the picture below taken in July 2011) are gone. But the West Coast Eagles building could have been worse. At least the city-end half of the ground is pretty much the same as it always was. And the famous Can Bar is still there although most guys there are over 40-years-old so you worry for the future of the WAFL.

When I watched Essendon versus West Coast at Lathlain Park, it was weird, as it was easy to think it was Perth Demons out there playing West Coast as their jersey is exactly the same as Essendon's. P6183813 (2) Lathlain.jpg ,

I'm tempted to say Docklands for all the reasons already mentioned here - but maybe I only started going to Docklands when I had become officially a Grumpy Old Man - and it wasn't like 'Football in my day!'.

Princes Park just seemed a bit lifeless to me.

Princes Park just seemed a bit lifeless to me.

When Hawthorn moved there in 1974 & the Hawthorn stand then got built, it pretty well became my favorite ground....Mind you, I had permanent members seats on the center square wing, up in the Hawthorn stand, & so had a perfect 180 degree vista from which to view the game.

During our time there from 1974-1991, both co-tenants accounted for 11 of 18 Premierships. The surface at the ground was fairy good for it's time too....The ground was mostly jam-packed when it was a battle between the co-tenants....I loved catching the tram there from Flinders street, as we mostly won; & some of the banter on the tram on the way home was first-rate....Some of my fondest memories of going to the footy.

Football Park or AAMI stadium is one of the worst for mine. Completely inaccessible and in the middle of nowhere, very limited public transport. Only option was to park your car and walk 30-45 minutes to the ground (this wasnt so bad though as at least you had the game itself to look forward to. After a game was diabolical and there was really no pubs or venues around to drink at either. Adelaide Oval is about one million times better in every way.

Kardinia Park in the early 90's so like most of the other suburban grounds - rubbish

Football Park or AAMI stadium is one of the worst for mine. Completely inaccessible and in the middle of nowhere, very limited public transport. Only option was to park your car and walk 30-45 minutes to the ground (this wasnt so bad though as at least you had the game itself to look forward to. After a game was diabolical and there was really no pubs or venues around to drink at either. Adelaide Oval is about one million times better in every way.

Never went there there, but crowds jumped significantly after moving to A.O.

Subiaco and ANZ Sydney
Rubbish for AFL

KP now one of the best as it retains the old days feel of tribal footy
Just need to get the last bit finished

Seen a few games at Metricon and one of the better viewing stadiums
Fortunately haven’t been in we weather

When Hawthorn moved there in 1974 & the Hawthorn stand then got built, it pretty well became my favorite ground....Mind you, I had permanent members seats on the center square wing, up in the Hawthorn stand, & so had a perfect 180 degree vista from which to view the game.

During our time there from 1974-1991, both co-tenants accounted for 11 of 18 Premierships. The surface at the ground was fairy good for it's time too....The ground was mostly jam-packed when it was a battle between the co-tenants....I loved catching the tram there from Flinders street, as we mostly won; & some of the banter on the tram on the way home was first-rate....Some of my fondest memories of going to the footy.
Probably was sat next to you between 89-91!

Princes Park when it was parked was brilliant. The journey, location, the ground - just came together.

Of the grounds I have been to - Subiaco by so far it's not funny. Was absolutely abysmal in every way shape and form.

Perhaps it's just that over the last three decades the venues across the board have improved and accordingly so has the public's expectations and demands. I couldn't imagine the modern day public tolerating the old grounds as they were with most providing 25-30% seating. While the remainder stood shoulder to shoulder, no lighting, dilapidated toilets and canteens, the queues for everything, their lack of parking, quagmire centre squares and all being susceptable to local wind gusts. Imagine paying $25 per adult to put up with that today?

Even the MCG wasn't that flash until the GSS got built in 92. Up until then it was mostly antiquated with 95% sitting on hard wooden benches which were about as comfortable as a church pew. At least by modern standards the AFL's only "Tier 2" Victorian ground at Mars Stadium equates in its size and layout to a typical 70s VFL ground, although it is a modern version of those grounds. The key difference being that they don't allow crowds to pack into it like sardines, it has modern facilities and is getting imprvements to keep it in line with modern expectations. While today its capacity is capped at 11,000; back in the 70s nobody would have thought twice about jamming 9-10,000 into its standing areas. Yes things have changed.

Over the last 20 years we've become spoiled in our expectation of being able to catch a train to the footy and to be litterally able to step off a train and virtally straight into the stadium. Our modern stadiums are roomy, you don't have to fight your way to toilets or kiosks, all Tier 1 venues have a seat for every spectator, and they are rarely sold out. Every ground with exception of Mars Stadium is well lit, they all have video scoreboards that replay the contested umpire decisions and all grounds are easy and quick to get into and out of.

Good riddence to Victoria Park, Windy Hill, Arden Street, Western Oval, Junction Oval, Lakeside Oval and Moorabin I say. Let them remain consigned and archived to the pages of history. Look fondly on them, but also remember them for what they were.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've watched VFL at a number of former AFL grounds, but all have been redeveloped since they were last used, so I can't really comment.

Worst grounds I went to for an AFL game was Kardinia Park. Hopefully the former is better now it's been redeveloped, but I visited in about 04/05 and it was horrendous. Hard to get to, no cover, terrible view, medieval facilities. Not keen on going back.

I've watched VFL at a number of former AFL grounds, but all have been redeveloped since they were last used, so I can't really comment.

Worst grounds I went to for an AFL game was Kardinia Park. Hopefully the former is better now it's been redeveloped, but I visited in about 04/05 and it was horrendous. Hard to get to, no cover, terrible view, medieval facilities. Not keen on going back.
It's vastly improved now being 80% re-built since 04/05 with the last of the old stands (the Ford Stand and Abblet Terrace) to be demolished and a new 9000 capacity stand to commence construction at the completion of this years T20 season. The old Kardinia Park will be so good that the Regional Victorian Councils have listed it as part of their bid for Greater Regional Victoria to host the 2030 Commonwealth Games. They propose that KP should host the opening and closing ceremonies.

York park. Easily. Fremantle and West Coast have to travel there pretty much every season. These two teams travel the most distance out of every team in the comp yet still they get sent to bloody York park. Surely the teams that hardly travel can go there ?

I absolutely hate the stadium at Docklands.

Victoria Park was a dump.

ANZ in Sydney is just a rotten place to watch football too.
Probably on wrong side of town for Hawthorn supporters. But right side of town for Geelong, Bulldogs, North, Essendon, and Carlton supporters. So very accessible. Not many hassles getting in and out and nearly every seat is a good view, unlike MCG being too far away for many seats. It doesn’t have the history of the MCG but a great stadium to take the kids and if it’s terrible weather everyone is thankful. It has hosted ‘game of the year’ many times and the atmosphere is as good as any where I’ve been. The footy is first class there. Such a pain getting to the MCG for me from Geelong but super easy to Marvel.

Probably on wrong side of town for Hawthorn supporters. But right side of town for Geelong, Bulldogs, North, Essendon, and Carlton supporters. So very accessible. Not many hassles getting in and out and nearly every seat is a good view, unlike MCG being too far away for many seats. It doesn’t have the history of the MCG but a great stadium to take the kids and if it’s terrible weather everyone is thankful. It has hosted ‘game of the year’ many times and the atmosphere is as good as any where I’ve been. The footy is first class there. Such a pain getting to the MCG for me from Geelong but super easy to Marvel.

With the closed in nature of the buildings around the stadium it is impossible to get from Southern Cross Station to the ground without inhaling enough cigarette smoke to suffocate you. It should be a no-smoking zone from station to stadium.

Strange criticism of a stadium regarding smoking, but probably true, though I’ve never noticed it. But I agree the lack of vision in building those buildings so close is there for all to see. The AFL were ready to renovate it a year ago pre covid, that won’t happen for a while now. Doesn’t make it a bad stadium, it just won’t feel like home to a Hawthorn fan, and probably never will. But it is owned by the AFL unlike the MCG who lose so many seats to the MCC.

Strange criticism of a stadium regarding smoking, but probably true, though I’ve never noticed it. But I agree the lack of vision in building those buildings so close is there for all to see. The AFL were ready to renovate it a year ago pre covid, that won’t happen for a while now. Doesn’t make it a bad stadium, it just won’t feel like home to a Hawthorn fan, and probably never will. But it is owned by the AFL unlike the MCG who lose so many seats to the MCC.

Funny thing is that I used to quite like it before it was closed in with buildings around it.

I do prefer to have the roof open though.

Seriously worth a visit to Kardinia Park now, the facilities are fantastic and if you are lucky enough to get a seat on the wing you can just about pluck the ball from the centre bounce.

Although City Oval has its charm too.

Over the last 20 years we've become spoiled in our expectation of being able to catch a train to the footy and to be litterally able to step off a train and virtally straight into the stadium.
Look at Mr "I don't have to attend games at the SCG to see my club play". :(

Gabba's not great getting away from either, though that's improving and will continue with the new rail line.

Metricon is f-ing awful. Between the shuttle buses, the sun in the afternoon, and the complete lack of anything nearby, it's the worst I've been to.

With the closed in nature of the buildings around the stadium it is impossible to get from Southern Cross Station to the ground without inhaling enough cigarette smoke to suffocate you. It should be a no-smoking zone from station to stadium.
While I like Docklands, I totally agree with this. The smoke while walking to the stadium (and occasionally walking out) is absolutely horrendous. It was far better before that dreadful NAB building was built, in terms of smell and also aesthetically (so dark and dingy).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back