What is your most hated ground that has been used for AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

North Hobart had a magnificent atmosphere when full but the facilities, apart from one poorly positioned, new-build stand erected in the late 80s after the original one was burnt down in an arson attack, were at best, 1940s standard.
The ground hadn't changed since 1923 when Fitzroy and SOO were played there in the early 90s.
Does have a 100% better playing surface now though.
North Hobart was like it was primarily because of a useless and lazy Hobart City Council who also lost the cricket to Clarence City Council (Bellerive) in the 1980s because of a similar lack of maintenance and investment of the old TCA Ground.

I’ve often wondered why Bellerive Oval was developed when the TCA ground appeared to have a lot more going for it - it was in a park close to the city centre, with room for parking and redevelopment of the grandstands yet they chose to redevelop Bellerive which has none of those attributes....

I’ve often wondered why Bellerive Oval was developed when the TCA ground appeared to have a lot more going for it - it was in a park close to the city centre, with room for parking and redevelopment of the grandstands yet they chose to redevelop Bellerive which has none of those attributes....
There's probably a lot of reasons but most people in Hobart agree with you, 100%.
The TCA as well as North Hobart are in the Hobart City Council's boundary and in the 80s the HCC were utterly hopeless and supposedly were broke and spent nothing on facilities in their area.
They had the chance to buy the old Blind, Deaf & Dumb Institute next to North Hobart Oval for a dollar in order to turn North Hobart into a proper stadium but declined to do that either!
Both cricket and football were making noises about moving their HQ's away from Hobart by the mid-1980s - TFL Football to KGV and TCA Cricket to Bellerive - so the HCC would stump up some much needed cash for facility upgrades.
At that time Clarence Football Club's president was Dennis Rogers, who left that post to become chairman of the Australian Cricket Board.
Clarence Football and Cricket Clubs both played out of a shoddy, suburban oval named Bellerive Oval!
Once Rogers became ACB chairman, he was able to network various contacts into securing all sorts of funding to renovate Bellerive Oval to become the next Australian Test cricket venue, the TCA left the TCA Ground in early 1987 and the rest was history.
The TFL stayed at North Hobart and died in 2000, AFL Tasmania eventually moved over to Bellerive only a few years ago.
Also, it was thought that the view of the river and mountain in the background would come up a treat on national and international TV screens to entice tourism.
The conditions generally on the Eastern Shore are usually a little warmer than across the western side of Hobart where the city and suburbs are under the mountain.
In the early 80s the big push was to move both cricket and football to KGV and build a 27k seat stadium which never eventuated.
Am very surprised Bellerive doesn't have a stand named after Dennis Rogers as he was as responsible for that as anybody being rebuilt.

Windy Hill. Shocking place.
Had a bowling club butting onto the ground, so a fair slab of the place was out of bounds for supporters. It had a string of ugly, drab concrete grandstands and hardly any room behind each goal.
It was in the middle of nowhere too, just a park in the northern suburbs on a cramped site they tried to turn into a stadium. Yuk.
View attachment 702098

Yep, would have been ok for games that drew 15,000, but was ridiculously small to have Essendon hosting Collingwood Carlton and Richmond.

Two things mostly, I think.
1. It was for cricket, and it rains less on the eastern shore
2. Denis Rogers was just starting build his powerbase in Australian cricket, and was president of Clarence footy and cricket club.

Of all time Subiaco, little to no shade/shelter in the main public areas, playing surface was far too big which impacted viewing and the place felt like it was done on the cheapest dollar. The only reason I have better feelings towards Docklands is because my team has a good record there

In the 1980s Subiaco could have an amazing atmosphere, eg State of Origin, 1984-86, WAFL grand finals 1970s and 1980s. I love the concrete terracing on the scoreboard wing (demolished in the 90s).

I feel it's unfair to rate stadiums in Australia, as some areas of stadiums are amazing, others terrible. So ill rate in accordance best to worst.

1. Adelaide Oval, Eastern and Southern stands - Great incline so you can see the game pretty well, even from the back of the bottom tier. Great facilities where the second you hit the concourse from your seats you wouldnt be more than 20 meters from food and there's a wide variety.

2. Metricon Stadium - The redovelopment has made it great. No bad seats anywhere (the walk to them though can be tiring for some) and the councourses and area out back is vast and you dont get squeezed in like a sardine. Food and drinks has even greater variety.

3. MCG, Olympic stand - 1st tier is good, but the 2nd tier has design flaws. The overhang from the top tier is right over your head, and the atmosphere projects over you. I say here for the Hawthorn PF and Collingwood SF and Id be ranking it so much lower if the concessions were worse.

4. Gabba - I cant recall where I sat as it was nearly 20 years ago (02 QF) but the only issue I had was they hadnt opened the gates at 3/4 time year for us to escape the demolition - dw. I dont leave early anymore. Ill pack up early and just bolt when the siren goes. But yeah, no issues with views, no issues with food, no issues with the public transport setup

5. AAMI Stadium - Northern Stand and outer - Nice wide concourse right around the ground. Never cramped, and that vast area behind the stand in the grandstand was spacious and open. Loved it.

6. Adelaide Oval, Western Stand - Views would put it anywhere between 2-3.5, however the facilities are trash. For the AFLw GF I could tolerate it as they underestimated crowds and wern't prepared. But going back for Essendon this year. Wow. No food option in the top tier other than pies, pasties and sandwhiches at the bar. Lucky the view was amazing, otherwise the facilities would take this to 2nd bottom.

7. SCG, O'Reilly stand - That's the one centre wing on the outer right? No height to get a good view overlooking the field, and facilities are trash.

8. Manuka Oval - Hawke stand - The ground just isnt set up for sellouts. Might be better now than 20 years ago

9. AAMI Stadium - Members stand - Crap seats but facilities were okay. But that mightve been because there was the side door to the pub, cant recall.

=10. Subiaco - ~bay 146 - cramped out back, at least the atmopshere was good with a full house

=10. MCG - Great Southern Stand - s**t facilities, s**t incline on the bottom tier. middle tiers too shallow so no atmosphere (especailly when 20k there)

Last edited:
Marvel Stadium I just find it a soulless concrete jungle. Only thing going for it is the roof which is good for cricket but when it is used for footy on a sunny day it just annoys me and I’m not sure why.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think I been to 15 different grounds.

MCG
SCG
Princes Park
Junction Oval
VFL Park (Waverely Park)
Football Park
Subiaco Oval
Kardinia Park
Western Oval
Windy Hill
Arden Street
Moorabin
Docklands
Victoria Park
Homebush

Homebush worst surface I seen
Victoria Park worst conditions for fans. Like watching a game from near a toilet at every point around the ground.
Docklands is most souless and pointless venue of all but easy to get to.

MCG
SCG
Cazaly's Stadium
The GABBA
Manuka Oval
Kardinia Park
Docklands
Western Oval
Arden St
Victoria Park
Princes Park
Windy Hill
VFL Park
Glenferrie Oval
Adelaide Oval
Subiaco
The WACA

Of the venues used for AFL, Subiaco and Windy Hill the two worst.

Last edited:
Perth Stadium - excellent viewing. excellent comfort, excellent facilities, continuous, great atmosphere, lighting effects - poor dispersion
MCG - good viewing. good comfort, very good facilities, continuous, great atmosphere (big games) - very good dispersion
SCG - good viewing. good comfort, fair facilities, not continuous, great atmosphere - modest dispersion
ANZ - fair viewing. good comfort, fair facilities, continuous, great atmosphere (big games) - good dispersion, exposed to the elements
Docklands - Excellent viewing. good comfort, fair facilities, continuous, cold atmosphere, sheltered - best dispersion.
Subiaco - poor viewing. poor comfort, poor facilities, not continuous, good atmosphere - poor dispersion.
WACCA - worst viewing. poor comfort, poor facilities, not continuous, poor atmosphere - modest dispersion.

Looks fairly civilised down at vic park!

That footage is gold. The cardigans, the bone and tan clothes, the VB and Fosters cans..

The bloke at the one minute mark seemingly contemplating the meaning of life while I kid walks the boundary line dressed as a cartoon of strawberry milk is next level surrealistic stuff.

That footage is gold. The cardigans, the bone and tan clothes, the VB and Fosters cans..

The bloke at the one minute mark seemingly contemplating the meaning of life while I kid walks the boundary line dressed as a cartoon of strawberry milk is next level surrealistic stuff.

Awesome footage. I like the guy in the sideburns and the Tom Hafey Adidas T-shirt. I thought only Tommy wore them. In hindsight, I expected more club colours and duffel coats - that might be the behind-the-goals crowd.

Perth Stadium - excellent viewing. excellent comfort, excellent facilities, continuous, great atmosphere, lighting effects - poor dispersion
MCG - good viewing. good comfort, very good facilities, continuous, great atmosphere (big games) - very good dispersion
SCG - good viewing. good comfort, fair facilities, not continuous, great atmosphere - modest dispersion
ANZ - fair viewing. good comfort, fair facilities, continuous, great atmosphere (big games) - good dispersion, exposed to the elements
Docklands - Excellent viewing. good comfort, fair facilities, continuous, cold atmosphere, sheltered - best dispersion.
Subiaco - poor viewing. poor comfort, poor facilities, not continuous, good atmosphere - poor dispersion.
WACCA - worst viewing. poor comfort, poor facilities, not continuous, poor atmosphere - modest dispersion.

Can you do a similar breakdown for the WAFL grounds? I notice you support Fremantle.

Can you do a similar breakdown for the WAFL grounds? I notice you support Fremantle.

I haven't been to the new Lathlain Oval but there isn't much separating the WAFL grounds.
All grounds are based on drive and park in streets with easy dispersion except Joondalup with dedicated parking.
All grounds are based on grassy banks with a small stadium with Joondalup the smallest stadium and Claremont the most modern.
All grounds have pretty mediocre facilities, access to food and drink.
Bassendean, Lathlain, Subiaco (gone), Claremont are on train lines and close to urban centres.
Leederville, Fremantle and Ruston Park also close to and probably most convenient urban centres.
Fremantle has the best atmosphere (infrastructure) followed by Bassendean (passion).
The WACA obviously would trump all WAFL grounds in all respects except for Atmosphere.
Leederville. Lathlain and Perth Oval in their old guise were very similar with "modern' stadiums.
East Fremantle Oval and the old Claremont were very similar with very "agricultural" stands which now works well with small crowds.
Ruston Park just overtook North Fremantle Oval in number of WAFL games held.
Kelmscott and Wanneroo were used in 1989 but WAFL apart from that, Wanneroo and S.E. Perth and more were left to the Sunday League.

Not an AFL ground but Brookvale Oval (or as I call it, the Subiaco Oval of the NRL) made Subiaco look like a ultra modern stadium. It has currently all the problems that made many of the suburban grounds in Melbourne get abandoned for top level footy from the 60s to 2005 though it's about to have a significant investment as detailed in another thread on here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back