Opinion What is your most nonsensical Freo hill you'll die on?

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
Trading pick 1,20 and 36 for Croad and McPharlin was a great deal and one I’d do again.

Hindsight is great, but that was a huge win for us at the time.
#1 by itself should have been enough. And we should have picked a different player than Croad. But, yep, that #1 was essentially useless to us.

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
In my first wafl game of my illustrious 3 game career Apeness went absolputly berserk. I'm a small forward so was parked next to the man and on a wet day he was ferociously crashing packs and marking it. Was incredible. He took 9 marks and kicked 3 goals in a tightly contested low scoring win as an 18 year old key forward in the wet. He had also only just moved over from rugby a couple years before this.

I was dead certain we were on to an absoloute superstar. Breaks my heart he never got a run at it.

You hit the scoreboard!?

clivenator26

Premiership Player
Jun 17, 2009
Latex Condo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Clive should’ve been All-Aus in 2000.

Shauny Mac has no business being in our best ever (Freo 25 in 25) team.

Anthony Morabito would’ve been better than Fyfe.

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
#1 by itself should have been enough. And we should have picked a different player than Croad. But, yep, that #1 was essentially useless to us.

Croad was genuinely an up and coming potential star. McPharlin was the unknown, more so.

The fact Hawks picked Sam Mitchell with 36 I kind of find irrelevent… means they just got lucky. Pick 20 never played an AFL game, but yeah Hodge obviously went on to do Hodge things.

Like I said, I’d do it again.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
Croad was genuinely an up and coming potential star. McPharlin was the unknown, more so.

The fact Hawks picked Sam Mitchell with 36 I kind of find irrelevent… means they just got lucky. Pick 20 never played an AFL game, but yeah Hodge obviously went on to do Hodge things.

Like I said, I’d do it again.
Croad was the right choice from a talent point of view. But not wanting a Vic kid who was going to bail on us was the motivation for trading #1 and then we accepted a player with the same mentality.

Its too long ago to remember who else it should have been, but we should have gone for a trade of the best WA or, at least, non-Vic guy we could find.

But these are details. I agree with you that trading out #1 was absolutely the right choice and the media types who bang on about it today just show they don't really understand all the dynamics of making a list.

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
Taylin Duman is the missing piece to our premiership puzzle

Boomer93

Team Captain
Jun 4, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
You hit the scoreboard!?
I missed my only shot in that game 😂 I scored in the others though.

Being a very passionate dockers fan it was really cool to get to play with a heap of the players. I was actually posting on bigfooty on an old account back then but got in the s**t by the coaches 😂 so had to stop posting and I can't get back in to that old acc.

sdfc

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swans
From memory Croad was a back we tried to turn into a forward. Hodge seems like the type of guy that might have stayed. Judd stayed with WC until they imploded.

Taylin Duman is the missing piece to our premiership puzzle
Made VFL team of the year playing for Frangastan so this is not nonsensical at all.

Clinton Wolf being the missing piece to our premiership puzzle on the other hand…

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
From memory Croad was a back we tried to turn into a forward. Hodge seems like the type of guy that might have stayed. Judd stayed with WC until they imploded.

Think he was genuine swing man but playing more forward, then we started him forward before moving him back.

He’s still rolling around for Souths.
"Rolling" being the key word.
He's not fat in the grand scheme of society, however as a footballer let's just say he's not helped by South's white jumper. Still down for a scrap- including opposition fans. Circa 2019 or 20, he had to be talked out of jumping the fence at Joondalup by South's interchange steward and confronting some douchebag, loudmouth Falcons supporter (wasn't me).

Dockernut

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sharks. Anyone playing West Coast.
Ok, ok, ok here it is guys.

We should have won the 2013 premiership. Not because of all the shitful “walk’em to the goal line” frees gifted by Nicholls to his pet Hawthorn, oh no. It goes deeper than that. Three words: Travis effing Varcoe. With 38 seconds to go in the Geebung v Hawks preliminary final, Varcoe could’ve leveled the scores and the Cats could’ve gone ahead after that. This would have sent a bruised and battered Geelong into the GF to face a rampant Freo who had had their measure all year and would have almost certainly ended our drought. But no. He squibs it, Hawks make the GF and get kissed on the dick by Nicholls and co.

sdfc

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swans
Ok, ok, ok here it is guys.

We should have won the 2013 premiership. Not because of all the shitful “walk’em to the goal line” frees gifted by Nicholls to his pet Hawthorn, oh no. It goes deeper than that. Three words: Travis effing Varcoe. With 38 seconds to go in the Geebung v Hawks preliminary final, Varcoe could’ve leveled the scores and the Cats could’ve gone ahead after that. This would have sent a bruised and battered Geelong into the GF to face a rampant Freo who had had their measure all year and would have almost certainly ended our drought. But no. He squibs it, Hawks make the GF and get kissed on the dick by Nicholls and co.
Varcoe cost us a premiership.

Apr 8, 2008
PollieCentral
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham/76rsPhilsNovaDrexel/Atalanta
Varcoe cost us a premiership.
Nahhh, it was that Mundy bloke, he shoulda been dropped (shot??:eek::eek::eek::oops::eek:) in July 2009 and a hybrid of Subes and Ruffles (but with Crichton hair) played in his place. We'd have gone back ta back ta back ta back ta back 5 peat premiers...

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
Made VFL team of the year playing for Frangastan so this is not nonsensical at all.

Clinton Wolf being the missing piece to our premiership puzzle on the other hand…
Clinton Wolf, Taylin Duman and Nick Lower return and our premiership odds skyrocket

Clinton Wolf, Taylin Duman and Nick Lower return and our premiership odds skyrocket
Needs more Craig Moller. Man’s a winner.

sdfc

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swans
Nahhh, it was that Mundy bloke, he shoulda been dropped (shot??:eek::eek::eek::oops::eek:) in July 2009 and a hybrid of Subes and Ruffles (but with Crichton hair) played in his place. We'd have gone back ta back ta back ta back ta back 5 peat premiers...
It's no laughing matter. If it was up to me Varcoe would be in prison.

Back