BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg & Most Other Tiger Teams
There have been so many opinions about us not taking Luke as a F/S selection. They range from being disappointed to being relieved. Some have said its a great decision and glad to be free of the Edwards.

As there are so many opinionated people in here what I am hoping to achieve in this post is for individuals to express their opinions so that we can see over the next year or two who actually knows what they are talking about. This is not meant to be a discussion thread just a place for your opinion about the clubs decision regarding Luke. Do you believe the club has made the right decision and will have no regrets about not selecting Luke or has the club stuffed up. I am not really looking for the justifications.

I will try and keep a running list of individuals comments. So put your money where your mouth is and lets see who are the best judges of individuals talents.

Brissycrow: I know I am not the best judge but I believe the club has made the wrong decision and that Lukes skills set would have helped the club. He would have been an easy get for us and I think we have missed an opportunity. Time will tell because I think he will get drafted elsewhere and we will be able to see how he develops over the next year or so.

Columless: Disappointing as I thought Edwards had a good shot of at least making it as a footballer at this level, the type who'd look like he's a 100 game player almost immediately without doing anything that is game-breaking. In answer to my question regarding making a mistake you said "Potentially. Hard to know without the draft and without a few years passing".

Mutineer: Won't be a popular opinion on here but I'd take him before Borlase, Luke's kind of composure with ball in hand, the way he reads the play and neat skills especially by foot along with his potential to eventually go into the midfield rotations would make him a good pick up if still available at #40. ALSO SAID I'll be gobsmacked if he doesn't find a home on an AFL list in 2020.

Thetrader15: from his comments about trying to still get him suggests that he thinks the club has made the wrong decision

Dc9798: Glad we didn’t nominate him TBH, I’m sick of the Edwards circus.

Scorpus: I don't have any problems with us not picking him up because we don't rate him that highly. However we obviously rate MacKay higher than Edwards and I disagree with that decision.

dplggr47: I'm neutral about it. Would've been nice to have a F/S that might have a career though.

WaynesWorld19: Yes we have made the right call .....not seeing other clubs prepared to jump on him yet, and if Luke goes after #40, it'll vindicate our call,

Apsaalooke: He and the family would be high maintenance - there'd be a drama everyone time he was not selected or dropped or played out of position etc. I'd be prepared to wear that if he was a champion player but not for a middle of the road guy.

Vhaluus: I am glad we didn't pick him up just for his name. After all the crap we went through with Jarman it's good we learned our lesson (incidentally a few people here need to pay up on the bets we made about if he'd ever play a game at AFL level). Good move by the club.

1970crow: I trust Ogilvie more than any other club employee, so I'll back in his talent order every day of the week.

rabidcrow: I hope the lad gets on a list but I think at worst it will be a minor regret we didn’t take him.

Johnny Rutten: No regrets at all.

Geoffa32: Meh

****: I’m slightly disappointed that he won’t even be on our rookie list, but I trust our recruiters to make the right call.

Hey Shorty: He might even be a good AFL player, but I'm very comfortable with the decision we've made.

Murray2503: Not overly fussed about not signing Edwards. If he was a standout talent it would have been an easy decision.

Crow till I die: Had high hopes for him from tge talk over the last 2 years so it is a shame that he has dropped in terms of where he may have been as a possible 1st rounder as a f/s would have been great and a leg up for us..but seems not to be

Vader: On Edwards - right call.

King Elvis: I said it was a mistake?

Sanders: if we had more list spots I would have given him a go. But we didn’t so in that context I’m happy passing on him.

Crowbots are dead: I’m happy with the club’s judgement on this

John Who: Did we do right for both Luke and the club? In my opinion, yes and yes.

Last edited:
May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
I just hope it was all based on on-field stuff. Somehow I'm not sure, all reports (other than from AFC) are he is a more likely prospect than Newchurch.
Nominate, and take him as a rookie in the worst case. You don't have to match the bid.
I don't think they want that, it's why Tyson thought Jackson fell to a rookie selection. They want either a hard guarantee or nothing.

Last edited:

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
I just hope it was all based on on-field stuff. Somehow I'm not sure, all reports (other than from AFC) are he is a more likely prospect than Newchurch.
Nominate, and take him as a rookie in the worst case. You don't have to match the bid.
I get the feeling that Edwards is the better player now (I doubt anyone would argue otherwise), however Newchurch's X-factor arguably means that he has a higher potential ceiling. Whether or not Newchurch ever achieves his potential is another matter entirely...

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Very simple

Adelaide's talent assessment of Edwards seems consistent with the broader industry assessment of Luke Edwards

You assess the player on his talent, not his surname and I think we will see Luke is unlikely to make it on a AFL senior or rookie list this draft

If he is to play AFL in the future its likely through proving himself at state league level

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

My opinion: Disappointing as I thought Edwards had a good shot of at least making it as a footballer at this level, seemed rather similar to McPherson in the sense of being the type who'd look like he's a 100 game player almost immediately without doing anything that is game-breaking. Hopefully, he gets picked up in the numerous drafts that are occurring though.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
They may still pick him up in the Rookie Draft?
We have a full rookie list, so no pick in the RD.

... Unless Kristof's wet dream comes true, and we only take 4 players in the ND, with Keays or (more likely) Butts are promoted to the senior list. If that happens then we'd have pick 1 in the RD - and that would be it.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
If Edwards is still there at #40 I'd be prepared to still take him there and then.

Won't be a popular opinion on here but I'd take him before Borlase, Luke's kind of composure with ball in hand, the way he reads the play and neat skills especially by foot along with his potential to eventually go into the midfield rotations would make him a good pick up if still available at #40.

That said I can see the club's reasoning should he attract a bid earlier than where we rated him along with perhaps them seeing Borlase as a more impending need for our rebuild with an aging Talia, a developing Fischer McAsey and with Hartigan's departure that only leaves Jordan Butts as tall defensive back up.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
If Edwards is still there at #40 I'd be prepared to still take him there and then.

Won't be a popular opinion on here but I'd take him before Borlase, Luke's kind of composure with ball in hand, the way he reads the play and neat skills especially by foot along with his potential to eventually go into the midfield rotations would make him a good pick up if still available at #40.

That said I can see the club's reasoning should he attract a bid earlier than where we rated him along with perhaps them seeing Borlase as a more impending need for our rebuild with an aging Talia, a developing Fischer McAsey and with Hartigan's departure that only leaves Jordan Butts as tall defensive back up.
If only we didn't' sign MacKay, we would have had been able to get both Borlace and Edards at 20% discount using later picks.

Still, that extra one year for DMac will prove so invaluable for the development of our group over the next 10 years it will outweigh anything Luke could add to the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm indifferent regarding Edwards, but think we should have moved on more players this year - Mackay, Seedsman, Davis and Kelly.

Drewie11

Premium Platinum
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
The chance of him getting a game was extremely slim. We are sitting with a surplus of half back flankers and it looks like midfielders will be our choices after Tilthorpe at pick 1. If we rated him past pick 30ish then we are better off going for better rated midfielders at pick 22and 23.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Just draft the best player available at the pick. Tyson was a great player for us but I don't see how we're, in any way, obligated to draft his kids.
I don't think anyone is advocating we should have nominated him given it's obvious we don't see him as inside our first 4 picks but I'm really struggling to see too many better prospects likely to be available at #40 (if indeed Luke is available at that point).

The last time he he played was in the SANFL All Stars game and he was clearly his team's best player with 29 disposals and he hardly missed a target with any of those possessions playing better than several SA prospects in that same game being touted as possible late 1st round picks.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
The chance of him getting a game was extremely slim. We are sitting with a surplus of half back flankers and it looks like midfielders will be our choices after Tilthorpe at pick 1. If we rated him past pick 30ish then we are better off going for better rated midfielders at pick 22and 23.
I still don't see a negative from a club perspective in nominating him. If he's bid on and we don't' want to match, then don't match.

Drewie11

Premium Platinum
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I still don't see a negative from a club perspective in nominating him. If he's bid on and we don't' want to match, then don't match.

What’s the point if we are never taking him? Why waste the paperwork and effort. If he doesn’t get bid on don’t we have to take him as a rookie?

arrowman

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
If only we didn't' sign MacKay, we would have had been able to get both Borlace and Edards at 20% discount using later picks.
I'm indifferent regarding Edwards, but think we should have moved on more players this year - Mackay, Seedsman, Davis and Kelly.
I understand the sentiment, but - we're adding Hately, Hinge and 5x draftees to the senior list (I'm assuming one of them is Borlase), and possibly Newchurch as a Cat B. Moving on any of those players - including Mackay - would just mean we'd have to take one more draft pick (at 40+) (or maybe a rookie?). Instead of using / filling those list spots in 2021 with higher draft picks. IMO we need list vacancies in 2021 more than we need Edwards on the list now, and that seems to be the way the club sees it.

I don't have any problems with us not picking him up because we don't rate him that highly

However I do have a problem with us choosing one year of Mackay over him, especially if he does get drafted to another club. If anyone is drafting him, it should be us with a free hit, especially instead of Mackay

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt

Still, that extra one year for DMac will prove so invaluable for the development of our group over the next 10 years it will outweigh anything Luke could add to the club.
You won't let this go will you

Remove this Banner Ad

Back